Elle

OPINIONS NEEDED: Advertisements

Vignette Ads  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Are the vignette ads tolerable?

• Yes, keep them.
    • No, remove them.

5 minutes ago, Elle said:

No one is forbidden from certain topics, however, I prefer that offsite drama remains offsite. No one is going to receive Warning Points or anything for posting about certain things that you may be referring to, but the best way to stop drama is to not talk about it.

Even this whole thing was more drama than I asked for. I really do hate drama.

(speaking to everyone here, not in a response to the quote) The bickering and dramatics is not what I expected when I opened the floor for opinions. I honestly was expecting most users to probably be opposed to the vignette ads, but I wanted to gather opinions just in case, because again, this would have been a really great opportunity for the site, yet I fully understand the frustrations of more ads.

That being said, all this drama is really not worth it. The experiment with the vignette ads that was automatically placed by Google will end in a week. Based on how things are going, I'm gathering it would not be the best idea to keep the ads out of interest for our members here.

I really do appreciate all the opinions, and while I do wish things had gone a little smoother with this discussion, I hear all of you and am listening.

Thank you for the feedback. Again, because I cared, I asked. & I am receptive to all of your thoughts and have taken them into consideration.

Also with the whole mod-politics thing - this decision does not impact the mods. This is a me, Elle, thing. I will always do my best to remain impartial and unbiased. I can't speak for everyone, but when it comes to me, the owner of this site, that's my perspective. I am not liable for anything anyone chooses to post here - whether that be a member, mod, supporter, etc. 

So, coming from my mouth, the owner of this site, the one who is ultimately making the decision regarding the ad placements: I will not unfairly treat anyone based on their opinions about the ads. 

I'm the one asking for opinions, and I feel that I, myself, the one ultimately making this decision, have been very fair and receptive to listening to what you all are saying.

That's all x

Reveal hidden contents

I think it’s equally important for both us reg users n mods to treat this delicately, like the implying of leaving is kinda offputting. 

The ads don’t seem to be so bad, but it’s a thing for some people so I mean it should be looked over. 

But what are our options really? 

UV/Honeymoon

Damn, you know I was just reminded of the line where Lana says “You thought I was rich and I am but not how you think.”

I normally try to not get involved in the drama and just clown around instead but the speculation and, consequently, the extrapolation on someone’s personal and individual expenses/finances absolutely hit a remarkable low. It’s one thing to discuss your opinions on whether or not to have ads but it’s truly another to target and attack someone because of the way you perceive them. The discussion in this thread was never intended to be personal and I would urge that it stays this way. 

In my perspective owning a wide platform like Lanaboards is what makes them rich - rich in making friendships, in the ability to bring people together, rich in the way it can provide a voice for us introverts and an outlet for the extroverts, etc etc you get where I’m going. I look forward to reading each and everyone’s opinions on where you stand on the ads and I personally won’t attack you for them, and again I would urge you do the same...especially toward someone who simply wanted to hear your thoughts. 

this is just so insane like it’s just an ad. just click off. and where did this idea of favoritism come into this thread cuz it literally had nothing to do with the current conversation djjdhdhsj. some of you are grown adults and btw you are on a LANA DEL REY FAN SITE. it’s not that serious

1 minute ago, The Greatest said:

This is what I’m talking about. When people don’t agree with you, you write a monologue. Which is fine under normal circumstance but not if you’re encouraging open and honest discourse about the ads. It discourages people from saying something 

She's the admin of the site, she's allowed to rebut and comment back to people when her words are being twisted. I wouldn't expect her to NOT reply after people tried dragging her personally for whatever unresolved shit is going on in their own life. This is the discourse baby. If you're stressed she's sending back long responses, then maybe you need to realize the point you're trying to make is rotten :hooker:

BzhmW.png

Just now, The Greatest said:

This is what I’m talking about. When people don’t agree with you, you write a monologue. Which is fine under normal circumstance but not if you’re encouraging open and honest discourse about the ads. It discourages people from saying something 

This is frustrating for me because I feel I, myself, am being quite open and receptive to what everyone is saying. May not be the case for everyone here, but I do feel that I am being fair here.

I am encouraging this conversation - though I wish it was a bit less dramatic.

Yes, I got upset about someone bringing up my personal expenses/debt, but I feel it was reasonable for me to find that inappropriate, and even then I tried to respond respectfully.

I'm not being rude to those who don't want ads.

My responses are meant to clarify things that I sense some confusion on.

I sincerely apologise if my responses are coming off in any other sort of way. I just felt it would be beneficial to answer things that seemed unclear rather than to remain silent.

Again the whole point of me opening the floor rather than choosing to make a decision without consulting you all first was to gather opinions and discuss any questions.

It's just taken a weird turn.

But again, as I've said in my last message, all the dramatics are simply not worth it, so I likely will not be keeping the ads once the experiment concludes despite it being a good opportunity for the site. Above anything, the thoughts of the members here are what I value the most in these processes x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Look I like Elle (even if she hates me after this, which is understandable) what bothered me what how she would have a response after replies not liking the ads. But since she seems no longer interested, I don’t think it should be a fight anymore. I erased my response and don’t anticipate having any more to say on the matter 

8 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

this is just so insane like it’s just an ad. just click off. and where did this idea of favoritism come into this thread cuz it literally had nothing to do with the current conversation djjdhdhsj. some of you are grown adults and btw you are on a LANA DEL REY FAN SITE. it’s not that serious

I think it’s important. Especially w how groups can form on the site as they would naturally in any kind of social environment. And it’s more like being able to be made feel being properly heard instead of having others peer pressure or ostracize others into silencing them. 

I’ve been here for a few number of years and noticed how things’ve been a bit more sour, which can happen part of risk when a site gets larger, but it shouldn’t shake the foundations of it. 

and no it’s definitely not serious, but I stand by what I say when it comes to having everyone’s voices heard properly without being post shamed/ignored. 

There’s something about talking about someone’s budget etc. which they shared and it’s actually something more that didnt need to be done. The ads didnt need to be discussed, but they are. And I think if something’s to be started, it should be finished together and well, so no one feels left out or made to feel like a burden for voicing out what they perceive and is real for them. 

UV/Honeymoon

32 minutes ago, The Greatest said:

Out of the same mouth y’all are saying you care about our opinions but also say we should leave if we don’t like it. What the fuck. 

I am sorry if it sounds contradictory.

What I say has no sway - me blowing up and telling people to go elsewhere was my own (bad) call.

Elle is asking for opinions and is the one who is calling the shots and is still reading all these comments for sure.

I apologise for anyone who I might have offended by that comment. I am just very upset with the lack of empathy and cherry picking of facts over money and how serious this in. Personally over the years I've donated a couple of hundred dollars into the site and it's really jarring for me to read that people are not only rejecting the idea of supporting, but don't want to put up with a minor convenience to help. But I suppose we are all at different points in our lives where we all have different financial positions. Just know that it's really cruel to drag someone when you don't know the full story because sometimes you can seemingly have everything before it's taken away and you still have to foot the bill. I've been there too :\ 

Also re: Discord baddies - you cool kids know who you are. I didn't mean for 'baddies' to come across in a negative way lol: I used to be in the Discord group that was very chill where things were called things out very freely to attempt to have no drama but I left so you wouldn't have a staff member looming over you. Apologies again, I really do like you all.

Anyway . . . I don't know about you, but sometimes people reach a point in their lives when you realise you're not really interesting or special and, believe me, I am way past this point and I think I've said everything I need to here. So I will go back to silently just moving posts around and leave it at that, but probably need to log off for a while too. It's Lanaboards.com, shouldn't be that serious . . . sorry. :\ 

3lfQEhw.png

Just want to apologise here for anyone who felt any negative away about my responses. Really, I was just trying to clarify things that I sensed were of confusion. That was all. I was not trying to rebut any oppositions, and I feel that I didn't, but rather just answered any questions people had or clarified any misconceptions I noticed.

I went into this conversation fully expecting most users to not be receptive of the vignette ads.

The whole point of me opening the floor to opinions was for me to explain what was going on and why the ads would be greatly beneficial, and then to hear what you all had to say in return.

So even though the ads have been extremely beneficial in the week the experiment has been running, I knew that not all members would be on board with this. I did not want to make a decision the majority would be unhappy with despite the benefits for the site, so rather than making the decision myself, I wanted to reach out to you all.

With all great benefits come some deterrences, so I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on the manner.

At this point it is a bit confusing as most members in the poll have voted yes, but those who are opposed have voiced strong oppositions that I am listening to and taking into consideration. 

Maybe I can think of some other middle ground. I had suggested the idea of a $2 cost for an ad-free version that could also be paid in a lump sum, but I know some people are not open to that either.

I still have more thinking to do until the experiment ends, but perhaps there could be three options. Vignette ads for those who can tolerate them so the site can generate more revenue, the $2 cost that makes up for the cost of lost ad revenue for those who want to be free of all ads , and a free by-request option for those who are strongly opposed to vignette ads and don't want to pay to remove them either but are fine tolerating the normal banner ads we've always had. If anyone has thoughts on this possibility, let me know.

My intention was not at all to shoot down anyone who was opposed to the vignette ads. I want to make it clear that if I did not care about people's oppositions, I wouldn't have asked, and I would have just silently implemented them. It's because I truly do value your opinion that I asked.

& I feel that I have been fair and receptive. (Me, myself, Elle)

I apologise to anyone who felt I was being anything but that, but please know that was not my intention x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

5 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

I am sorry if it sounds contradictory.

What I say has no sway - me blowing up and telling people to go elsewhere was my own (bad) call.

Elle is asking for opinions and is the one who is calling the shots and is still reading all these comments for sure.

I apologise for anyone who I might have offended by that comment. I am just very upset with the lack of empathy and cherry picking of facts over money and how serious this in. Personally over the years I've donated a couple of hundred dollars into the site and it's really jarring for me to read that people are not only rejecting the idea of supporting, but don't want to put up with a minor convenience to help. But I suppose we are all at different points in our lives where we all have different financial positions. Just know that it's really cruel to drag someone when you don't know the full story because sometimes you can seemingly have everything before it's taken away and you still have to foot the bill. I've been there too :\ 

Also re: Discord baddies - you cool kids know who you are. I didn't mean for 'baddies' to come across in a negative way lol: I used to be in the Discord group that was very chill where things were called things out very freely to attempt to have no drama but I left so you wouldn't have a staff member looming over you. Apologies again, I really do like you all.

Anyway . . . I don't know about you, but sometimes people reach a point in their lives when you realise you're not really interesting or special and, believe me, I am way past this point and I think I've said everything I need to here. So I will go back to silently just moving posts around and leave it at that. Sorry. :\ 

I think there should be a difference between talking about the money side and the response side. Y'all have every right to say that you need money for the server and ask for ways to help. I just don't like how condescending the response has been to the people voicing their concerns. And the moderators should have an obligation to act maturely over the regular user. I would donate too to keep the site alive. 

1 minute ago, The Greatest said:

I think there should be a difference between talking about the money side and the response side. Y'all have every right to say that you need money for the server and ask for ways to help. I just don't like how condescending the response has been to the people voicing their concerns. And the moderators should have an obligation to act maturely over the regular user. I would donate too to keep the site alive. 

Echo.

UV/Honeymoon

as long as it's looking for cougars advertisements it's valid 

8 minutes ago, Diamantes WILD said:

There’s something about talking about someone’s budget etc. which they shared and it’s actually something more that didnt need to be done. The ads didnt need to be discussed, but they are. And I think if something’s to be started, it should be finished together and well, so no one feels left out or made to feel like a burden for voicing out what they perceive and is real for them. 

I just wanted to note on this since the thread took a weird turn especially after the budget conversation (and this is not directed at you, but towards the people speculating budgets. Your post is just a reason for me to explain this further, but this is not geared towards you.)

I shared my site budgeting after someone asked because they thought it would be helpful to them to make a decision. 

What I had a problem with was then other people speculating my personal budget. I found that really inappropriate. My personal budgeting shouldn't be brought into a conversation about LanaBoards, even if I am the one who pays for it.

Just wanted to explain a bit further why I was upset over that. & again this response is not directed to the user I'm quoting, but just a general thought I thought I should share since the topic of budgets has been discussed for a bit x

. . . . So whats like the possibility of having one of our own artists on here to be able to make that store happen? 

they get exposure n get to share their art. We get new merch/ site stuff. Having the option of diff site levels might b a little daunting but I mean as long as others dont make those who dont have it feel bad or are asses then it should be fine imo? 

2 minutes ago, salvatore said:

as long as it's looking for cougars advertisements it's valid 

Knowing this site dilfs would bring- wait do u know how that’d look like sksksksjsjsks

UV/Honeymoon

im so confused because where has elle said anything condescending in this thread? all she was doing was trying to clear up some confusion and giving her thoughts on the subject like any admin would

5 minutes ago, Diamantes WILD said:

. . . . So whats like the possibility of having one of our own artists on here to be able to make that store happen? 

they get exposure n get to share their art. We get new merch/ site stuff. Having the option of diff site levels might b a little daunting but I mean as long as others dont make those who dont have it feel bad or are asses then it should be fine imo? 

Maybe this isn't the proper time to discuss all of this given the nature of this discussion, but I'll note a bit on this since the question was posed. 

For a few months now, I've been talking with some people about the possibility of LanaBoards merch through a store. The profits from the merch would go into the costs for the site. I will also hold the opportunity for anyone who would like to contribute their art to the merch designs as well, and they can receive a percentage of the profit if they wish.

All and all it would be nice to generate some more revenue for the site, and if vignette ads aren't the way to go, perhaps merch could be a possibility.

I also have thought about taking inspiration from other forums who do offer subscription packages (that can also be paid in lump sums) for users who want to donate to the site for fun incentives like coloured name tags, exclusive site themes, profile-card badges, etc. This is something I do intend to do just to offer fun perks for those who want to donate. With this, I won't be taking away anything that free Members have access to, but instead offer fun little extras as a thank you for donators x