Elle

OPINIONS NEEDED: Advertisements

Vignette Ads  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Are the vignette ads tolerable?

• Yes, keep them.
    • No, remove them.

1 minute ago, cinnamongirI said:

im so confused because where has elle said anything condescending in this thread? all she was doing was trying to clear up some confusion and giving her thoughts on the subject like any admin would

I mean just the atmosphere of the thread reads that others just aren’t as comfortable.

UV/Honeymoon

Just now, Elle said:

For a few months now, I've been talking with some people about the possibility of LanaBoards merch through a store. The profits from the merch would go into the site. I will also hold the opportunity for anyone who would like to contribute their art to this as well, and they can receive a percentage of the profit if they wish.

All and all it would be nice to generate some more revenue for the site, and if vignette ads aren't the way to go, perhaps merch could be a possibility.

I also have thought about taking inspiration from other forms who do offer subscription packages for users who want to donate to the site for fun incentives like coloured name tags, exclusive site themes, profile-card badges, etc. This is something I do intend to do just to offer fun perks for those who want to donate. With this, I won't be taking away anything that free Members have access to, but instead offer fun little extras as a thank you for donators x

members on here make way better merch than lana's team does, so I personally would be totally into that

14 minutes ago, takeitdoen said:

I am sorry if it sounds contradictory.

What I say has no sway - me blowing up and telling people to go elsewhere was my own (bad) call.

Elle is asking for opinions and is the one who is calling the shots and is still reading all these comments for sure.

I apologise for anyone who I might have offended by that comment. I am just very upset with the lack of empathy and cherry picking of facts over money and how serious this in. Personally over the years I've donated a couple of hundred dollars into the site and it's really jarring for me to read that people are not only rejecting the idea of supporting, but don't want to put up with a minor convenience to help. But I suppose we are all at different points in our lives where we all have different financial positions. Just know that it's really cruel to drag someone when you don't know the full story because sometimes you can seemingly have everything before it's taken away and you still have to foot the bill. I've been there too :\ 

Also re: Discord baddies - you cool kids know who you are. I didn't mean for 'baddies' to come across in a negative way lol: I used to be in the Discord group that was very chill where things were called things out very freely to attempt to have no drama but I left so you wouldn't have a staff member looming over you. Apologies again, I really do like you all.

Anyway . . . I don't know about you, but sometimes people reach a point in their lives when you realise you're not really interesting or special and, believe me, I am way past this point and I think I've said everything I need to here. So I will go back to silently just moving posts around and leave it at that, but probably need to log off for a while too. It's Lanaboards.com, shouldn't be that serious . . . sorry. :\ 

no hard feelings fellow baddie :kiss2:

my posts should really not be taken that serious as well 

3 hours ago, past the bushes said:

not the poll minority winning after all

Screenshot_3639.png

Where was this energy during the lipsters for Boom Like That being LOTY? :oprah3:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

Okay all, well this was quite weird!

The worst and most ironic part about this whole hoopla was that it has been severely distracting me from work I'm meant to be doing for my actual job that actually pays me, which is how I pay for LanaBoards roll-over costs in the first place :toofunny: 

A bit of a paradox there it seems.

That being said, please continue leaving your thoughts in this thread, but I will probably be pretty spotty the rest of the night until tomorrow. Then, we can regroup. 

I've also proposed Option #3 in another post, which is something to consider for the possibility of a different middle-ground solution:

20 minutes ago, Elle said:

At this point it is a bit confusing as most members in the poll have voted yes, but those who are opposed have voiced strong oppositions that I am listening to and taking into consideration. 

Maybe I can think of some other middle ground. I had suggested the idea of a $2 cost for an ad-free version that could also be paid in a lump sum, but I know some people are not open to that either.

I still have more thinking to do until the experiment ends, but perhaps there could be three options. Vignette ads for those who can tolerate them so the site can generate more revenue, the $2 cost that makes up for the cost of lost ad revenue for those who want to be free of all ads , and a free by-request option for those who are strongly opposed to vignette ads and don't want to pay to remove them either but are fine tolerating the normal banner ads we've always had. If anyone has thoughts on this possibility, let me know.

Perhaps I'll make a new thread tomorrow discussing this other proposed option to see if this is more satisfactory to those opposed to the vignettes while the opportunity still exists to generate more revenue for the site with those who are fine with them, but again, if the bottom line is no vignette ads altogether, I completely hear you and understand.

Hearing your thoughts and taking them into consideration was the purpose of this whole discussion anyway.

I apologise for all this drama, and I really wish it didn't take that turn, but I know this is a difficult matter.

With all said, I really do love you all and am so appreciative for everyone that makes this community what it is (even if it comes with some unfortunate drama from time to time.)

All my love xx

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

i like the third option, i think it will be the most satisfactory for everyone, and even if somebody can't subscribe to the site (which is completely understandable!) they still have the option of getting rid of the pop-up ads, but they'll still see the regular ads, which is how the site is anyways, i think that's a good option :) 

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

If they aren’t sketchy I don’t really mind them that much cause they’re closed in a second, but I do think it’ll probably lead to new users avoiding this site. If I were to find a new forum and the first thing I see is an ad taking up most of the screen I’d probs hesitate on making an account. It gives a very 123movies vibe. We already know it’s nothing scammy, but idk if new users will.  

qfrWuBl.png

2 hours ago, suicideblonde said:

guys please help me budget my site. I don't know what im doing wrong.

Budget: $6000

Cost for Renting Site: $5000

Clothing as seen on LDR (97): $20000

Magazine covers(30): $3000

Time spent working on site: 8 hours 

Music & Misc. Merch (53): $8000

Cost for New COCC Theme: $10

Okay idk how srs this is but this is Elle's site at the end of the day and she is absolutely entitled to buy things she likes AND run ads to pay for her site.

Like she could take this shit doen tomorrow if she felt like it.

I don't like ads either - as I said they crash my laptop - but I totally understand her asking the general populace.

Also @ everyone the delay with the COCC theme isn't Elle's fault, she isn't the only person working on it but we are DOING it so leave us aloen.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Some of y’all are SO ridiculously fucking rude, selfish and entitled it’s not even funny. Elle busts her ass running this forum and takes on a huge financial burden so some of you stuck up c*nts have a place to be assholes. It’s a fucking ad, like press the little “x” or “close ad” or whatever, it isn’t gonna ruin your life, taint your experience of the website or otherwise negatively impact your life in any way. I can’t believe this has turned into a full on drama... pathetic :azealia:

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

Idk if this has been mentioned because the previous pages are all fucky but how would people feel about like ... in-thread banner ads as a compromise? Like every fifth post would be a banner ad like what's at the top? I feel like that's better than pop-ups, because I think @TrashMagiq has a point about people just navigating away the moment they get pop-ups.

And then people could still pay a fee to get rid of those if they were bothered.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

2 hours ago, godsmonster said:

people here acting like adblockers dont exist. if you hate ads that much just get AdBlocker it's literally so simple you don't even have to bitch on here lmfao:dua:

Honestly

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

This thread was... a lot :eek:

Anyway, I'm pro ads and pro subscription. I'll even gift someone a year to celebrate :party:

Not sure if it's been discussed but @Elle would you be open to a tiered subscription type thing like patreon? The difference between the lowest and highest tiers doesn't have to be significant (or anything) but would give people who would like to donate more an easy way to do so.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

not sure if its the best option tbh. vignettes are gonna decrease traffic, especially from new users. i believe thats gonna hurt your finances more in the long run than just keeping the ads as they were before & introducing supporters 3.0

image.png

4 hours ago, The Stargirl Pinky said:

Damn, you know I was just reminded of the line where Lana says “You thought I was rich and I am but not how you think.”

I normally try to not get involved in the drama and just clown around instead but the speculation and, consequently, the extrapolation on someone’s personal and individual expenses/finances absolutely hit a remarkable low. It’s one thing to discuss your opinions on whether or not to have ads but it’s truly another to target and attack someone because of the way you perceive them. The discussion in this thread was never intended to be personal and I would urge that it stays this way. 

In my perspective owning a wide platform like Lanaboards is what makes them rich - rich in making friendships, in the ability to bring people together, rich in the way it can provide a voice for us introverts and an outlet for the extroverts, etc etc you get where I’m going. I look forward to reading each and everyone’s opinions on where you stand on the ads and I personally won’t attack you for them, and again I would urge you do the same...especially toward someone who simply wanted to hear your thoughts. 

I just wanted to say thank you for this little reminder of what's important.

LanaBoards is all about the community - the friendships, the love we share of Lana, the memories of iconic moments. So in that sense, we are very rich. Vignette ads or not!

Happy is my favourite poem from Violet, and I love that line you quoted. 

& it's true here - people think that I'm rich, and I am, but not how they think.

So while my financial status could always use a little help, I'm rich in the things that are important in life, or at least important to me. Especially regarding my friends, both here and offsite.

This whole discussion and the drama that came from it made me a bit more stressed out tonight than I anticipated, but this post made me step back a little bit and realise things like this are so silly and I shouldn't let them get to my head.

Not that anyone particularly cares, especially since this topic really isn't about my personal life (and I don't want it to be, given where some of the discussion has touched on), but in an effort to calm myself down a bit, I made a little nostalgia video of me and my friends driving & singing in cars set to the poem Happy.

Spoiler

So with that, I'll touch base with you more on all of this tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts, whether in support or in opposition of the proposed vignette ads. Off to sleep for me now x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Pop up ads are annoying but we live in the era where nonskippable Ads on YouTube are now one minute and everyone just sucks it up. But I will say that although the pop up ads are better than the banner ones that take up the entire screen like on the urban city forum I’m in, it does cheapens the site a bit, it gives me dbree tease. In the end whatever the choice ends up being I’ll follow ??‍♂️

also it is very clear that y’all were not here when @TIARNZUS was the owner and admin of this site. A literal N*zi that has kicked me out of here before when I called him out for his lack of site upkeeping and playing favoritism. If he was still owner, knock on wood we’d STILL would have the Tropico theme banner up or this site would outright had shut down by 2016 for his incompetence and being too busy spending LanaBoards money on sex toys. I rather have a admin that spends $5000 on a Paradise boxset than a dragon dildo ??‍♂️

Elle took out a loan from someone close to her and not some national bank, which I think people are perceived the loan as. 

If you need a break from the pop-up ads, just turn on AdBlock?

I thought everyone was using that. :oopna2: 

I literally turn off AdBlock on here because I wanna support Elle but I can always just turn it on if it gets too much.

My opinion on this topic - I hate ads, I truly do. In real life and online. I also try to avoide any commercials on TV and such. In the net it's especially annoying because ads may slow down the browser, may be faulty and crash a site, they may track you; blinking ads are getting on my nerves etc. (not to mention the shady ads with the intention to scam users). So I always use Adblockers to help me to keep sane in the www. I deliberately turn Adblock off for only a few hand picked sites I use on a daily basis (like LB).

That being said, I don't like the vignette ads and would be totally fine with paying a small fee to get rid of ads altogether to support Elle and this awesome forum which never fails to entertain me. :)

Integrating an ad every n-th posting (like on Reddit or Facebook) would be tolerable as well (if it's integrated in a subtle way; unlike Reddit).