annedauphine

What's the one thing Sirens makes you think of?

I want to start a full scope Sirens experimental redesign project, but first I'd love to hear about what Sirens invokes in yall :) For example when I listen to Sirens, I immediately think of the city of New York. I'm not looking for anything specifically, it can totally be abstract like a smell or a concept, but if you had to tell someone what Sirens is all about, what's the one thing that would come to your mind please? I would love to hear your opinions :D Thanks so much!

ZKcaooE.png

The bare instrumentals (I suppose you could consider the album entirely acoustic since guitar is the only thing present lol) really give me melancholic vibes. There’s an air of sadness mixed with hopefulness that makes it a good album to listen to if you’re feeling down or happy

also reminds me of driving through the Midwest, specifically, past corn fields and run down towns with populations of 300 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

it reminds me of young adulthood, when your big enough to make your own decisions but still dumb enough to get yourself in trouble (relationships, moving around, being unsure of your future). I also categorize this album as a time before social media. She has a lot of time with just her thoughts. It always makes me nostalgic for that time period in the late 2000s when we only had flip phones...:oop2:  i put rhinestones on mine! We were hot.

9 minutes ago, Turtledove said:

I also categorize this album as a time before social media. She has a lot of time with just her thoughts.

I second this. It may seem exaggerated, but the world was smaller back then, even internet wasn't a big thing. Just a Lake Placid girl and her thoughts.

Also wind, the whole album feels like a fresh breeze in a field in the middle of nowhere. Think of Neil's Chemtrails cover.

Capture.jpg

I'm the kind of person where I associate different albums with time periods in my life, so for me, Sirens is spring 2019. 

But in terms of general things it makes me think of, I think of wide fields, cups of coffee, Fordham, and shifting from a child/teenager to an adult

imageproxy.jpg

It really reminds me of an east coast beach in the early summer morning, when the sky still has a slight haze over it and everything seems sort of washed out. The air is really gentle but has this fragrance to it. I get a really strong baby blue and cream vibe from it. Some tracks on the album also remind me of the feeling of a warm blanket.

I also like to imagine what Lana’s life looked like at the time. I think of New York in the early 2000s and how early adulthood sees people hustling a bit, how they’re on the brink of a huge change. 

it reminds me of those pics of lana in 2006 at the native reservation, a warm summer spent pondering over the mysticism of life and spent with friends, journeying together, having fun, but also being aware of all the life and beauty around you

Baby-Girl-Congratulations-Glitter.gif

Sirens gives me this image in my head where you have moved into your own little place for the first time. It is very lonely as you don't know many people where you have moved to but it gives you a lot of time to think. I think this image mainly comes from the line in Blizzard where Lana ends up in a 'lame department store' and finds a 'really cool belt'. I really relate to this line because a few years ago I started uni and I worked in a lame department store. All my friends had new lives so I felt alone and would have a lot of time to think and just wander around town.

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

silently crying on your own on a lonely hill in fresh snow after a heavy storm, driving at dusk in the middle of winter on a slushy road going 15 below the speed limit the road lit only by lamplights in a tiny town, a summer that is far too hot, leaving the entire town restless and you with nothing to do but troll lame department stores and antique shops by day and get drunk and find trouble by night

:poordat:

such underrated work by miss jailer

The 1st half of the record reminds me of winter and heavy snowstorms. The guitar is so simple yet so haunting so all I can imagine is a person walking in the snow with heavy winds trying to find their way back home. The latter part of the record seem more summery and warm. The record as a whole seems like a transition between seasons starting from autumn and ending with summer. Sirens can't be compared with any other works of Lana's. It exists in it's time capsule. But it seems like with COCC Lana revived May Jailer. Sirens relies on the vocals and the melodies to push the songs since the guitar is quite similar all through out the record. COCC has the same approach. The instrumentals lack drama and grandness and what carries the songs are Lana's vocals and the melodies. We even have two autotune masterpieces on both records . The lyricism through out COCC and Sirens is quite similar as well. 

-Homeland of the Gods-

Sirens reminds me of angels...

One night I fell asleep with that album playing, and I woke up in the middle of the night to the most angelic vocalizing I've ever heard in a song..... this was shortly after the album surfaced online, so I didn't know all the songs very well yet. It was A Star for Nick - the middle of the song where she's just vocalizing... half-asleep I was just like IS THERE AN ANGEL VISITING ME AT 3AM???!? :krylie:

14417469274.gif

it gives me the beach at dawn, where the sky and the land itself is colorful but there's not quite enough light to make it vibrant. its humid but still cool enough where you can wear a light cardigan outside and not sweat. wicker furniture. when you rent a house in Longboat Key, florida for vacation and all the walls are painted a muted pastel blue and the kitchen is starfish themed. rusty metal that's painted white and the smell of salt air. ice cream and seafood 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

I used to listen to it when I would take the train to visit my parents in the tiny midwestern town they lived in. So it reminds me of the imagery I would see on the way; small houses, green grass, trees, summer nights, lakes, boats, people having barbecues in their yards, old Midwestern stores and restaurants in the downtown area, v wholesome imagery :justride: