Elle

Blue Banisters

Do y'all find Blue Banisters to be happy or sad in message?

Obviously, the story she's telling is that the man she was hoping would fix the hole in her heart didn't, but now her friends and family are fixing it instead. Seems positive. But the way it's written, to me, it seems like she thinks she's unlovable and unable to find the true man for her, so she has to just be happy with her friends and family instead.

Thoughts?

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

Do y'all find Blue Banisters to be happy or sad in message?

Obviously, the story she's telling is that the man she was hoping would fix the hole in her heart didn't, but now her friends and family are fixing it instead. Seems positive. But the way it's written, to me, it seems like she thinks she's unlovable and unable to find the true man for her, so she has to just be happy with her friends and family instead.

Thoughts?

I would describe it as bittersweet, which is why I love it so much. Yes, she has her loved ones there to support her. But she mentions that her ex wanted to give her children to take away her pain and obviously they can't do that for her. There's still that longing there.

let me be who i'm meant to be

So when the songs initially came out everyone was wondering if Jenny was Jenny Lewis or someone else. 

I remember someone saying that Jenny and Nikki were friends as well. 

I’m really thinking it was Jenny Lewis based off that and the lyric we were “writing” with Nikki Lane. 

Anyways that makes BB even more special to me because Rilo Kiley will always hold a special place in my heart!

1 hour ago, recklessdaughter said:

Jenny jumped into the pool

Hide contents

RiptideGif3.gif

The beautiful Norma Shearer, unknown today except by true cinema buffs, and, in the 30s, the queen of MGM. 

And remember, she said that Dealer was basically her "just screaming my head off." That wouldn't fit with COCC and may not fit with BB either, but who knows? I think BB is going to be a revelation. 

45 minutes ago, DLT said:

So when the songs initially came out everyone was wondering if Jenny was Jenny Lewis or someone else. 

I remember someone saying that Jenny and Nikki were friends as well. 

I’m really thinking it was Jenny Lewis based off that and the lyric we were “writing” with Nikki Lane. 

Anyways that makes BB even more special to me because Rilo Kiley will always hold a special place in my heart!

I’ve actually been thinking it could be her too because the “you can’t be a muse, be happy too” advice sounds so much like something she’d tell someone (also made me think of her lyric “you thought I was your muse/but all along it was you” from Dogwood). Then when Lana says “happy” in the long twang in the next line, it reminds me so much of Jenny Lewis’ song “Happy”. But I told myself I’m probably connecting nothing as usual :bebe:

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

1 minute ago, recklessdaughter said:

I’ve actually been thinking it could be her too because the “don’t be a muse, be happy too” advice sounds so much like something she’d tell someone (also made me think of her lyric “you thought I was your muse/but all along it was you” from Dogwood). Then when Lana says “happy” in the long twang in the next line, it reminds me so much of Jenny Lewis’ song “Happy”. But I told myself I’m probably connecting nothing as usual :bebe:

I honestly think it is! Everything is adding up to that. Why would “Jen” be writing with Lana and Nikki? The lyrics and connections you’ve noted just further solidify it. So as far as I’m concerned no one can tell us otherwise lol! 

On 5/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, Elle said:

Lana has called Chuck "Chicken" as a nickname so I'm assuming she is saying chicken as in Chuck, especially since she mentions her the line before x

alana b is also called chicken frequently , the girl in pawn shop blues

Summer comes, winter goes

Spring I skip, God knows

Summer comes, winter goes

Spring I sleep, heaven knows

This part really hits for me. The whole song hits but this paired with the production, just speechless. This song is the perfect combination of reflection, yearning, melancholy, support, and the presence of hope and strength in sadness. I don't know def very special. I'm done ranting.

For some reason when she says “there were flowers that were dry” it sounds like what people stereotypically think a Lana Del Rey song sounds like. Idk why but her vocals there sound like an imitation of herself ? still like the song tho.