Elle

Triple single release: Blue Banisters, Text Book, & Wildflower Wildfire - OUT NOW

1 hour ago, Sugar Venom said:
  Hide contents

What we are NOT gonna do is shit on BTD in order to lift up her current work... Not today! 

Sorry if this is OT idk but I find it ironic and annoying that people offer the exact same critiques of BTD today as the critics/haters did when it came out (the IRONY!!!!!) and then act like it's a compliment.... when will Born To Die ever get the respect she deserves....... BTD is still important and a part of who Lana is whether you like it or not

I don’t mean to deliberately put down her earlier work in order to elevate her current output but just anecdotally hearing those two songs back to back was really jarring, especially as I don’t ever revisit TIWMUG and it got me thinking how Lana could have so easily been a relic of the tumblr era and it made me appreciate even more how she has deviated so far and so unflinchingly into her own lane and it was just polarising hearing something that sounded to me very dated next to something that will clearly stand the test of time 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

i still don’t see where y’all hear the return of "old lana" ? except that one note that sounds very btd and her using her lower register a bit more i don’t hear it... this is obviously nfr/cocc/violet lana but without jack’s compressed production. i wouldn’t call this the big return to her roots, like at all ? if anything it’s a continuation and harmonization of her classical lanaism songwriting mixed with her more modern poetic and current thoughts/expressions/headspace

32 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

it doesn't feel like we just got 3 new songs, i guess mainly because there was no announcement from lana herself, like normally she will announce a few days or a week before, or we get a radio premier, with this we basically got all of the hype from an insider, and even after the songs were released we had no promotion of them from lana it's very strange

She doesn't care about promos anymore because she's doing it for fun, she's doing it for free, she's doing for the riiiiiiiiiiiiight reasons :karaoke:

I'm not sure how I feel about Textbook or Blue Banisters but Wildflower is good. Hopefully they all grow but right now I prefer Chemtrails tracks if I'm being completely honest. I don't think we'll ever get "old Lana" back and she's not the kind of artist I see returning to a more commercial sound just to appeal to a larger audience. She's clearly going down the more indie singer-songwriter route and that's great. But these songs are just ok to me.

6 minutes ago, Trash Magic said:

I don’t mean to deliberately put down her earlier work in order to elevate her current output but just anecdotally hearing those two songs back to back was really jarring, especially as I don’t ever revisit TIWMUG and it got me thinking how Lana could have so easily been a relic of the tumblr era and it made me appreciate even more how she has deviated so far and so unflinchingly into her own lane and it was just polarizing hearing something that sounded to me very dated next to something that will clearly stand the test of time 

I wasn't talking about you specifically (which is why I didn't @ you or anything), but what you said reminded me of what I've been seeing on this forum lately so I just wanted to address it. It's all good :)

UbsOye5.png

I'm so sad because I really want to LOOOOOOOOVE the new songs but after listening to them more carefully I just... like them. They're not bad songs, they have good lyrics but at the same time I feel like they're not memorable and the production is kinda weird. There's something about them that makes them sound lacking, if that makes sense? Or maybe I'm just not connecting with the current Lana sound, which is fine too! But I really think they could've polished these songs a bit more, there was no rush since she released COCC like two months ago but that's the sound she's going for and I'm fine with it.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

19 minutes ago, Max said:

I'm still in complete and utter awe of 'Text Book', the meaningful lyrics sung with soft vocals, the guitar strings, the soulful back vocals, the melody switch and then the tempo shift. I hope we get more of this on the record.

I'm shook and I can't stop listening. :toofunny:

We're on the same page in this Text Book :oprah3::wowcry:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

so like, what level of greatness are these tracks at... surely not shades of cool/west coast/cruel world greatness :oprah3:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Just now, Terrence Loves Me said:

so like, what level of greatness are these tracks at... surely not shades of cool/west coast/cruel world greatness :oprah3:

there was some user yesterday saying that WW would be as amazing as west coast and venice bitch... i wonder how are they feeling now :bebe:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

Just now, Cacciatore said:

there was some user yesterday saying that WW would be as amazing as west coast and venice bitch... i wonder how are they feeling now :bebe:

Great, because Text Book is as amazing as West Coast and Venice Bitch :gclap:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Hmm I kinda hate that none of these songs have good hooks and moreover, these batch of songs remind me of Violet—incredibly personal and haunting. It’ll be hard for me to revisit these casually. At least with Violet, I had the book so I could read them with my own interpretation. 

Wildflower opens with some heavy minor chords. I can’t remember any recent song doing that, but I also continually failed ear training when I did music as a kid so