Elle

Text Book

Would it be a reach to assume when she says

“I guess you could call IT text book”

the “it” she’s referring to is “daddy issues”? Cause then she goes on to almost define what that term means or a common pattern people who have those issues tend to follow. I feel like she didn’t wanna flat out say it cause then people are gonna say she’s romanticizing it or they’re gonna say she’s too grown for that (as if those issues go away with time alone). 

what do we think? Do we think I’m on to something or do we think there’s worms in me brain?

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

1 minute ago, CmonDownToFL said:

Would it be a reach to assume when she says

“I guess you could call IT text book”

the “it” she’s referring to is “daddy issues”? Cause then she goes on to almost define what that term means or a common pattern people who have those issues tend to follow. I feel like she didn’t wanna flat out say it cause then people are gonna say she’s romanticizing it or they’re gonna say she’s too grown for that (as if those issues go away with time alone). 

what do we think? Do we think I’m on to something or do we think there’s worms in me brain?

yeah i'm pretty sure that's what she means, like the "textbook" definition of "daddy issues", i can understand why she's being lowkey about it, since it's something that's mocked rentlessly, unfortunately

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

People say we're too much alike
But maybe, finally, that'll make it right
In the end of all these sleepless nights
Other men I met felt right
Would smile at you and stick a knife
In your back
Finally, I met you so I'm not wonderin' why

:crying4::crying4::crying4:

17 minutes ago, Peace said:

the BLM line is so weird

this goes two ways right? people who don't support BLM and people who DO support BLM. 

it's quite jarring to hear in a song by an artist like her absolutely. Is Lana singing about her life and where it led to and the people she met along the way? Yes. Has she made some missteps in the way she's communicated things in the past? Sure. 

I don't find Lana to be harmful with this lyric. It's real, it happened, she was at the protests and something happened and she sang about it. Just like literally every other song she has written. 

I think it will take some getting used to, but I also believe that a long time from now it will be a song that is looked back on and is noted for its relevancy. Not many other white artists sing about current events and authentically and with the emotion the way that Lana does.  

faSE.gif

"Screaming Black Lives Matter by the Old Man River" is a very interesting phrase... juxtaposition of modern racial justice with the history of slavery in America...

I get weary, and sick of trying.

I'm tired of living, but scared of dying!

But Old Man River, he just keeps rolling along.

5 hours ago, synecdoche2 said:

"Screaming Black Lives Matter by the Old Man River" is a very interesting phrase... juxtaposition of modern racial justice with the history of slavery in America...

I get weary, and sick of trying.

I'm tired of living, but scared of dying!

But Old Man River, he just keeps rolling along.

amazing point! i really wonder if this was intentional, and maybe even lana's way of subtly acknowledging that how she's romanticised america in the past doesn't necessarily align with her current views

Wq9zHLl.jpg

okay so idk if this is just me, but on this part:

Old man river keeps rolling

With or without him

Without him, my old man

i actually hear:

With or without him

Without him I'm a whole man

Wq9zHLl.jpg

1 hour ago, venicebitch said:

The BLM line from Text Book makes me cringe so much I even deleted it from my library :ohno: I know it’s a beautiful song but I just can’t fully enjoy it

Why is it cringe for you :awkney:

Mmeow~

1 hour ago, venicebitch said:

The BLM line from Text Book makes me cringe so much I even deleted it from my library :ohno: I know it’s a beautiful song but I just can’t fully enjoy it

It just feels forced and tacky, she’s constantly virtue signalling. She needs to stop ranting on Instagram and stop taking notice of critics…then she won’t feel the need for lyrics like this.   

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

2 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

It just feels forced and tacky, she’s constantly virtue signalling. She needs to stop ranting on Instagram and stop taking notice of critics…then she won’t feel the need for lyrics like this.   

I completely understand anyone who is suspicious of her and those lyrics but I don't think she's virtue signalling; I do think she should stop seemingly impulsively ranting on Instagram - I wish she just wouldn't give a fuck and just lived her life (harder said than done). In the context of those "rants" and subsequent criticism, her music/lyrics do take on a performative attitude. But it is through her music that she has always been able to convey her feelings and thoughts with clarity. And because I don't see the line re BLM as virtue signalling, I don't believe there's a need to change the way she writes, just the way she communicates on insta 

:smokeney:

mUENGN9.png

2 hours ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

I completely understand anyone who is suspicious of her and those lyrics but I don't think she's virtue signalling; I do think she should stop seemingly impulsively ranting on Instagram - I wish she just wouldn't give a fuck and just lived her life (harder said than done). In the context of those "rants" and subsequent criticism, her music/lyrics do take on a performative attitude. But it is through her music that she has always been able to convey her feelings and thoughts with clarity. And because I don't see the line re BLM as virtue signalling, I don't believe there's a need to change the way she writes, just the way she communicates on insta 

:smokeney:

It’s strange how she’s suddenly started doing it, seems to be a direct response hence why I said virtue signalling. It seems clear to me she’s only doing it because of the criticism vs just doing it anyway without influence.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

38 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

It’s strange how she’s suddenly started doing it, seems to be a direct response hence why I said virtue signalling. It seems clear to me she’s only doing it because of the criticism vs just doing it anyway without influence.  

All of Lust for Life is also super white feminist liberalism. It's not the first time she's commented on politics and current affairs in her music

mUENGN9.png

i haven't read this thread, but how was it established that it's partly abt sean? does sean actually own a thunderbird lol

i was just listening to baby blue love (bc i'm seeking out noir vibes rn :stareney2:) and the chorus is:

I'm on fire but what can I do?

I'm singin' in the choir but I'm lookin' at you

I'll be outside, pick me up after school

In your Thunderbird, baby blue

Thunderbird, baby blue, baby blue, oh

If baby blue love is about that teacher she had in high school who apparently had a thunderbird, it leads me to think Text Book is partially about him too

mUENGN9.png

6 hours ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

i haven't read this thread, but how was it established that it's about partly abt sean? does sean actually own a thunderbird lol

i was just listening to baby blue love (bc i'm seeking out noir vibes rn :stareney2:) and the chorus is:

If baby blue love is about that teacher she had in high school who apparently had a thunderbird, it leads me to think Text Book is partially about him too

Text Book seems to be staged in the present, but your correlation makes sense too. Can't wait for everyone's opinion 

On 8/2/2021 at 12:50 PM, Alison by Slowdive said:

i haven't read this thread, but how was it established that it's partly abt sean? does sean actually own a thunderbird lol

Maybe in Text Book she's talking about her significant other as her daddy, not her actual father?

On 8/2/2021 at 9:50 AM, Alison by Slowdive said:

I initially thought it was About Gene (the TA) too. the "Thunderbird" may not be the car, but the motorcycle which she said she rode a lot with him. She mentions motorcycles a lot, "Put me onto your black motorcycle" "Run Motorcycle" etc.