Elle

Text Book

2 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

From my perspective, we see the thread of the text book reappear in the chorus when she sings "let's re-write history." Her own personal history and the history of the world have been ingrained in text books, more often than not histories that have been passed down by the "victors," and she's attempting to reconcile with that fact while also wanting to continually reshape and reforge her own story. 

I enjoy the epics of this perspective, yet actually don't see Lana thinking on such analytical terms, hahaha

Thanks a lot for the answer!

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

Is the woman she refers to in TB, ‘then there was the issue of her’ a reference, another reference, to her mother? Or another woman the cop was also seeing? 

I thought she was referring to herself in third person

Just now, Vertimus said:

Thanks—I hadn’t considered that. 

or maybe - didn't sean have a daughter? maybe she felt the pressure of having to be a good step mom to a daughter when she didn't really have a good example to follow or felt she couldn't be a good example for her

10 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Is the woman she refers to in TB, ‘then there was the issue of her’ a reference, another reference, to her mother? Or another woman the cop was also seeing? 

This was already answered, but I‘d just like to add, that this could be a reference to HIADTFAWLMTH-BIHI:

Shaking my ass is the only thing that‘s

Got this black narcissist off my back

She couldn’t care less, and I never cared more

She talks about herself in third person here too

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

6 minutes ago, lamms said:

This was already answered, but I‘d just like to add, that this could be a reference to HIADTFAWLMTH-BIHI:

oh yes i love that even more!

6 minutes ago, lamms said:

To be fair in that second quote, she's personifying the narcissist that's "on (her) back" so while the narcissist may indeed be her, in the song, it is two separate entities.

10 minutes ago, War In My Mind said:

To be fair in that second quote, she's personifying the narcissist that's "on (her) back" so while the narcissist may indeed be her, in the song, it is two separate entities.

I get your point, however the way she calls the black narcissist also with the pronoun she in the next line makes it kinda obvious, that she is talking about her (depressed) self- the third line is basically the same thing she does in TB: she and I, but both are about her

5 minutes ago, lamms said:

I get your point, however the way she calls the black narcissist also with the pronoun she in the next line makes it kinda obvious, that she is talking about her (depressed) self- the third line is basically the same thing she does in TB: she and I, but both are about her

As I said, when you interpret the song, yes they are both about her. But the personification of her narcissism/depression in literary practice makes the two separate entities within the song.

11 minutes ago, lamms said:

idk, shes not really calling herself a "black narcissist", its more that she's personifying her depression as a separate entity that is not really her

referring to herself in the 3rd person on TB is kinda weird ngl

image.png

9 minutes ago, War In My Mind said:

As I said, when you interpret the song, yes they are both about her. But the personification of her narcissism/depression in literary practice makes the two separate entities within the song.

Oh lol I think, I just got your point now, thanks for clearing it up! You’re right about it

35 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

idk, shes not really calling herself a "black narcissist", its more that she's personifying her depression as a separate entity that is not really her

referring to herself in the 3rd person on TB is kinda weird ngl

My interpretation is that she was very much influenced by Sylvia Plath whose relationship with her mother was quite strained as Lana’s own relationship with her mother seems to be. Sylvia’s mother is suspected to be a narcissist and had this idea of perfect womanhood Sylvia felt like she failed to fit into. Lana might have experienced the same thing which explains her affinity with Plath. I think with “the issue of her” in this case, Lana could be either referring to her mother, or the perfect Elizabeth Grant she was deemed to be mold into or both. As for the line in HIADT, my opinion is she’s talking about her mother. 

Lana sounds so soft and sad on Text Book. It's impactful.

God, I wish I was with my father
He could see us in all our splendor
All the things I couldn't want for him

:crying4:

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.