Elle

Text Book

45 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

What the hell happened in the Grant household?? I mean things seem to be ok between Lana and Pat then all of a sudden....

Then there's Chuck's beautiful posts about her mom every mother's day and birthday on Instagram then all of a sudden stopped around 2018.

The pics of mother and daughter were always so sweet. Seriously what happened?

original.png

7b01f04c2fbd0e29f9212877e5acd00e.jpg

3de82d3e47b9686e500b24b2fc3ff01b.jpg

Since these new songs have heavy lyrics that seem to be about her mother, that's why I bring it up.

coming from an experience i feel is similar to lanas... i feel like they had a rough relationship when she was young n maybe tried to repair their relationship in her adult life. lana could have realized a lot of repressed n traumatic memories she went through with her mom n decided it would be best to not be involved with her anymore. 

18 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I really don't think it was added as a throwaway lyric, it fits perfectly. She's been through a brutal year where a bunch of idiots who know nothing about her have called her a racist, a Karen, a Trump supporter, etc., and obviously none of that is true. The lyric is sincere and places the song in a very specific and challenging time. She's solidifying the fact that that's who she is, and then brings it back to the theme of the song by wishing her father was with her, and reflecting on the disconnect on the lives they live. 

Not to mention the fact that Lana fans will be singing along to the song forever now. Having people repeat "black lives matter" even if it's just in a song is a lot more powerful than people who post on social media and then do nothing beyond that to support a cause. People dragging her for that will drag her for anything.

I'm not bothered by the BLM line either. It could have been cringey, totally awkward or misplaced, but it fits in well. It's not stressed too too much in a way that comes across as virtue signaling. 

And 'Old Man River' is an American standard from the 20s musical 'Showboat,' and, in the play, is sung by a Black slave, Joe, and made famous by the great Paul Robeson. So there is a definite but subtle statement and a parallel between the BLM shout out and Old Man River. 

How anyone who closely follows or Stans LDR can think she's a racist witch is beyond me, much less a Karen. People who don't follow media closely today have only themselves to blame for being led around by all kinds of untrue and dishonest 'fake news.'  Because you have to follow news and media closely today. You have to distrust every site, every source until you've investigated and thoroughly used your intelligence. Not that LDR hasn't brought some of her troubles down upon her own head with apparently drunken interviews that go nowhere for 30 minutes or Question to the Culture post. 

Text Book is sending me into another dimension.

I hear everything from beat poetry nightclub 3am, to mid-60s Angie Dickinson crime movie, Back To Black, Tori, Kate, 80s & 90s dream pop, with a splash of Wendy and Lisa, and then it sends you away with this heavenly church choir thing and a little twangy desert prairie. It's so deeply incredible.

5 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

“He could see us in our splendor 

all the things I couldn’t want for him” is an oxymoron unless she meant she didn’t want discrimination for him or for him to have the same love as her -it does not make sense 

she wanted that he was there with her, but she couldn't

10 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I'm not bothered by the BLM line either. It could have been cringey, totally awkward or misplaced, but it fits in well. It's not stressed too too much in a way that comes across as virtue signaling. 

And 'Old Man River' is an American standard from the 20s musical 'Showboat,' and, in the play, is sung by a Black slave, Joe, and made famous by the great Paul Robeson. So there is a definite but subtle statement and a parallel between the BLM shout out and Old Man River. 

thanks for this info I had no idea it was a song reference

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

11 minutes ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

thanks for this info I had no idea it was a song reference

My pleasure, PWIH.

In fact, who knows--she may cover it on her American Standards album, if that ever sees the light of day. It's certainly as famous and poignant as 'Summertime.' 

For reference there is a much bigger picture than just the “BLM” line it goes down to her lack of accountability. 

It begun with her tirade against Kanye West a man who was a scapegoat for her with clear mental health issues, what she said wasn’t incorrect but was just plain odd considering some of her more non left opinions in the past regarding feminism, other women etc-she tends to think of herself as exempt from any critique but will give people this herself.

she then released the whole culture post which had some points and I’m glad she challenged the thoughts and beliefs, but you can’t completely diminish her of the outrage that followed-for one she should not be contrasting herself to other women(predominantly of colour) with positive connotations such as embodied,beautiful to cheating and fucking aswell as using words like strong which unintentionally lean into the strong black woman stereotype which I know she didn’t intend but even still... 

Lana then continues to say she’s dated rappers so can’t be racist??? Are all rappers black?

Then says she will challenge thoughts of racism and cultural appropriation on her new record. 
well I’m guessing Text Book is it, but it isn’t remotely helpful in addressing anything-again she is confusing the narrative, the explanations given don’t fit with her choice of words on the song and continue to admonish her from her usage of stereotypes or criticism.

5 minutes ago, COCC said:

You‘ve got a thunder bird

5l7di0bg7h071.jpg

:bop:

and his thunderbird is blue!!! 

:biblio:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

6 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

For reference there is a much bigger picture than just the “BLM” line it goes down to her lack of accountability. 

It begun with her tirade against Kanye West a man who was a scapegoat for her with clear mental health issues, what she said wasn’t incorrect but was just plain odd considering some of her more non left opinions in the past regarding feminism, other women etc-she tends to think of herself as exempt from any critique but will give people this herself.

she then released the whole culture post which had some points and I’m glad she challenged the thoughts and beliefs, but you can’t completely diminish her of the outrage that followed-for one she should not be contrasting herself to other women(predominantly of colour) with positive connotations such as embodied,beautiful to cheating and fucking aswell as using words like strong which unintentionally lean into the strong black woman stereotype which I know she didn’t intend but even still... 

Lana then continues to say she’s dated rappers so can’t be racist??? Are all rappers black?

Then says she will challenge thoughts of racism and cultural appropriation on her new record. 
well I’m guessing Text Book is it, but it isn’t remotely helpful in addressing anything-again she is confusing the narrative, the explanations given don’t fit with her choice of words on the song and continue to admonish her from her usage of stereotypes or criticism.

Ok :yawn:

I think it's strange and borderline inappropriate to include the Black Lives Matter line in a song about her daddy issues. I like the song otherwise, but that part is so odd to me.

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

54 minutes ago, alittleparty said:

Text Book is sending me into another dimension.

I hear everything from beat poetry nightclub 3am, to mid-60s Angie Dickinson crime movie, Back To Black, Tori, Kate, 80s & 90s dream pop, with a splash of Wendy and Lisa, and then it sends you away with this heavenly church choir thing and a little twangy desert prairie. It's so deeply incredible.

yes- def feels like she’s braided together SO many diff sonic references in a really exciting, cohesive way.

aOaIzH2.gif

33 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I agree--like many other artists, from Bob Dylan to Nico and Tori Amos, Lana communicates a million times better lyrically and in her poetry than she does in conversation. As Nico would say, "Conversationally, I'm rather sloppy." I'm sure some of us are also creative people and know this to be true--what we can express in a painting or lyric makes a lot more sense to the world than trying to express/explain/communicate verbally what is going on in our psyches. 

32 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

ok and what do you want me to do about that ? :uh:

12 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

ok and what do you want me to do about that ? :uh:

I’m not asking anyone to do anything , I’m merely pointing out this fandom sometimes enables this behaviour with “yes legend” “points made” which feeds into this weird angel narrative, she does make mistakes and she should rectify them appropriately.

5 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I’m not asking anyone to do anything , I’m merely pointing out this fandom sometimes enables this behaviour with “yes legend” “points made” which feeds into this weird angel narrative, she does make mistakes and she should rectify them appropriately.

Ok robin deangelo but that’s your interpretation and you are allowed it but you dont need to be so authoritative about it like its the only interpretation. And stop implying anybody who disagrees with your interpretation is secretly a racist

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg