Sign in to follow this  
TheGlitterandGold

What is Lana Del Rey's greatest achievment?

creating a very large & very BEAUTIFUL catalog of official bodys of work, unreleased songs, demos, etc.

she's done it all, fluttery acoustic folk, a nostalgic, experimental album with david kahne, "hollywood sadcore" synth/psychedelic rock, the floral & atmospheric "honeymoon", "retro sensibility", "surf noir", straight-up pop, etc. she's excelled in everything she's done, her entire catalog of work is so diverse & expansive, i'd say there is something for everybody!

she's been writing/recording music since she was quite young, and 15+ years later she still hasn't lost her spark or her artistic integrity, she's influential, she's inspiring, she's talented, she's the queen!

WGe8ynS.gif

19 minutes ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

She will probably release 9 albums in her first 10 years of her career. Not every new singer has that.

Especially not albums she’s written herself! :party: Lots of artists buy songs written by someone else and make them theirs.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

16 minutes ago, Clampigirl said:

Especially not albums she’s written herself! :party: Lots of artists buy songs written by someone else and make them theirs.

Don't drag Rihanna like that. :gasp:

Mfhp.gif

Everything that has already been said above I would say too! :party: I want to add that her sensitivity and the way she implements it into her music is also a huge achievement. Unmatched. She turns all the way inward and is vulnerable. Honouring that innate gift of vulnerability and self-examination and being able to live a meaningful life by doing so is her biggest achievement, in my opinion. That is one of the sole reasons why she is my biggest role-model :wub: and it is what we should all strive for as human beings. 

Spoiler
2 hours ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

Don't drag Rihanna like that. :gasp:

Omg kind of off topic but that open letter all these artists signed about some creators underpaying or forcing songwriters to give them credits on a song? anyway I think that letter was about rihanna x

born to die being second longest charting album, plus being one of the best selling albums in France (like one of only five albums to go diamond there or something). overall her stability while not having repeated major hits (summertime sadness was a major major hit tho it’s literally iconic) is amazing to me, she’s one of the most famous singers in the world and she hasn’t even charted in like 7years singles wise. 

Also, the fact video games is the most critically acclaimed song of 2011(or oblivion by grimes is I forget lowkey) & one of the most acclaimed songs of the 2010s is whew..... 

She is living legend status and nobody even comes close to her achievements imo bc she’s got a hit under her belt (summertime sadness), a huge cult following (she will never flop), a critically acclaimed single (video games, among others), record breaking album (born to die, best selling debut album for a female in the 2010s/since the 2000s, second longest charting female album, longest charting debut album), massive sold out tours, etc.. also, the clear influence she’s had on the modern soundscape is undeniable and even artists like Taylor & Bruce Springsteen are seeing it!!

this is more of an objective response but overall I don’t think lana has a greatest single achievement, she’s had an extremely successful career and she should be proud of the fan base she’s created. Besides kpop, I don’t think there’s a single other artist with a cult following like Lana’s. She doesn’t have the largest fan base but, for example, Katy Perry in 2013 had probably the biggest fan base yet look at her now. I don’t see Lana’s fans ever leaving her 

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

3 hours ago, TerrenceLovesHoneymoon said:

She will probably release 9 albums in her first 10 years of her career. Not every new singer has that.

omg yes!!! her creativity and productivity blows my mind, she released albums regularly without longer breaks since she first had the chance to. just think of the past few years, nfr in 2019, violet ind 2020, cocc in 2021, and she's already working on a new album and a new poetry book (+ the cover album and the nikki lane collab album, i don't know if those are still a thing tho). and everything was written by her, and they are all really solid works of art. i love being a stan :krylie:

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

The way she can tell stories, and how these captivate you is how I fell in love with her. 

But her biggest achievement is definitely being able to deliver masterpieces successively!

Her mind is sickkkk ? Imagine even being able to think of all these melodies and stuff? Like girl, chill (or no, better not, keep going ?)

I think her single greatest achievement is reviving the concept of dream pop and making it the leading genre in pop for the 2010 decade 

and also being the poster child for the sad girl movement and Tumblr

EDIT: not that her other achievements are lower it’s just that shaping the pop landscape is kind of a big deal IMO I’m not taking away from her songwriting abilities etc

Born songwriter, not only does the work never stop flowing, she gradually begins to play with and deconstruct her own writing practice starting with West Coast and now even more embodied with recent work like Textbook. She truly has a loyal muse when it comes to musical composition.

Her ability to mythologize herself in a way unlike any other female artist alive today. Most female artists today are naturally compared to other pop artists, often those who are alive but Lana’s been able to immortalize herself alongside other great artists/pop culture legends like Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, and Kurt Cobain. To be alive and be celebrated in a way that’s usually reserved for dead artists is an impressive feat. 

In Venice California there are these giant murals on the Ellison Suite Buildings which Lana has been dignified on alongside Marilyn Monroe, Jim Morrison and John Hurt. Lana is the only one of these four who is alive to witness them. 

IMG_7634.jpg

In early interviews she stated she idolized “the greats of every genre” and within a decade she became just that. She is truly the greatest alternative artist of all time.

The most amazing thing is that post SNL she didn't throw in the towel and stick her head in a hole. I think we all helped her through that so congratulations everyone.  Nice job !