TrailerParkDarling

Sky Ferreira

1 hour ago, moondrunk said:

I’ve been listening to Sky for years, but I’m not really that clued into her creative process. Does she actually write songs? Like she’s credited as the main songwriter on all the songs of her first album, but someone has said on here that Tamaryn wrote all the songs on Masochism? Or did they mean that she wrote them with Sky? Because if Sky didn’t write a single song on Masochism, that changes a lot for me lmao. 

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons a lot of deep rooted fans stopped stanning her. She claims she's main writer of everything she does, while it's been strongly proven otherwise by some of the original bands/artists' demos of her songs surfacing, showing that she only recorded vocals to something that had been already created for her (like Guardian or Everything is Embarrassing). If she only said "I co-wrote", it'd be ok, but she claims she's complete author of her stuff AND even gets angry when people are credited for her music, AND also toots her own horn and cries "rip off" when anybody remotely looks or sounds like her (like what happened with nasty cherry) so it's all so problematic. 
She is either lucky or wealthy enough to work with really amazing artists that produce and write things for her, and even is so spoiled to sit on her music and blame the label (which doesn't win shit out of shelving or sitting on stuff they already payed for to be produced and recorded).

It's just all so problematic and conflicted, we see a shit ton of emerging artists who don't have half the issues she has, I literally wish her the best cause the end product I enjoy, but I hope someday she comes clean about stuff, owes her shit, and explains this situation. Cause the label fairytale is just not working anymore. And people who still believe it literally have no idea about how the music industry works. (Not that I'm a savy, but it's literally nonsensical at this point)

4 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

leak Masochism (Justin Raisen’s Version)

I feel like at this point any songs they might’ve done together have been discarded for newer material with Jorge tbh, like does anyone remember around 2015-2016 when Zachary Cole described the album as being inspired by Fever Ray? It must sound totally different from that now 

1 hour ago, legend said:

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons a lot of deep rooted fans stopped stanning her. She claims she's main writer of everything she does, while it's been strongly proven otherwise by some of the original bands/artists' demos of her songs surfacing, showing that she only recorded vocals to something that had been already created for her (like Guardian or Everything is Embarrassing). If she only said "I co-wrote", it'd be ok, but she claims she's complete author of her stuff AND even gets angry when people are credited for her music, AND also toots her own horn and cries "rip off" when anybody remotely looks or sounds like her (like what happened with nasty cherry) so it's all so problematic. 
She is either lucky or wealthy enough to work with really amazing artists that produce and write things for her, and even is so spoiled to sit on her music and blame the label (which doesn't win shit out of shelving or sitting on stuff they already payed for to be produced and recorded).

It's just all so problematic and conflicted, we see a shit ton of emerging artists who don't have half the issues she has, I literally wish her the best cause the end product I enjoy, but I hope someday she comes clean about stuff, owes her shit, and explains this situation. Cause the label fairytale is just not working anymore. And people who still believe it literally have no idea about how the music industry works. (Not that I'm a savy, but it's literally nonsensical at this point)

Oh dear that's interesting indeed. I assumed that she - like all the other indie singer girlies - writes her own lyrics. So like, did she write anything for Guardian or Everything is Embarrassing? Like did she get the whole first album just served to her and she recorded vocals or does she actually do anything? Her Pitchfork story made it seem like she assembles every song hands on from the ground up and looks for musicians who can play the things she hears in her head etc. Is that all lies? 

Just now, moondrunk said:

Oh dear that's interesting indeed. I assumed that she - like all the other indie singer girlies - writes her own lyrics. So like, did she write anything for Guardian or Everything is Embarrassing? Like did she get the whole first album just served to her and she recorded vocals or does she actually do anything? Her Pitchfork story made it seem like she assembles every song hands on from the ground up and looks for musicians who can play the things she hears in her head etc. Is that all lies? 

As everything related to her, idk if we'll ever get the "true story" out of things, but her side is so convoluted idk... She must have some sort of input in her music, I'd love to believe, but it's not a big one. Remember changin one word, even if it's just in the order, counts as "co-writing" in music industry, so she can pretty much take stuff made for her and just record coached vocals over it. 

24 minutes ago, zombie girl said:

ever since the guardian and legends demos leaked i think about this all the time even though i try not to :defeated: i really hope sky had a bigger role in writing masochism than it’s looking like so far, especially because the lyrics from the songs and snippets that we have so far are so good and it would honestly kind of suck to learn that they’re mostly not her own words. some people are okay with artists not writing their own shit but for some reason it is really difficult for me to connect with art that i know isn’t coming directly from the creator i guess

I agree. I don't like listening to music where the singer didn't write the lyrics. It's kinda understandable/forgivable for some big pop acts, but indie singers like Sky all kind of write their own lyrics - that is their brand if you will. Lana, Lorde, Halsey, you name them, all write their own lyrics. Sky not writing her own music is surprising and honestly disappointing. She does seem like a v intelligent and artistic person tho so I would like to assume that she does have a substantial amount of input. 

6 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Almost feels like *z**l*a B**ks' Fantasea II: The Second Wave. Like, almost a decade ago, girl.

Still perched if Sky's album is still titled Masochism, but I'm lowkey curious if we end up getting an album with another title. If we get an album.

... you're right. I forgot about that part

SIRENS INTERRUPT THE SILENCE

On 4/24/2022 at 2:10 PM, legend said:

(BTW, Tamaryn wrote most of the songs from Masochism, Jorge produced them, so this record will be basically a Tamaryn record sung by Sky)

So you're saying that Britney Spears albums aren't Britney's? Rihanna's? 

STFU They clearly worked together. And even if Sky didn't write the full song nor a single line, it's still her song. 

Spoiler

And as long you don't tell me that you're Tamaryn writing this out, please don't start.

:bye:

yeah me personally idrc if a singer doesn't write their own lyrics. as long as they can give us "DA FEELZ" through the songs, you know, like make them sound good and fit them well, im fine with it. bonus point if the lyrics are actually good/poetic/etc

SIRENS INTERRUPT THE SILENCE

the skyatus is weird in retrospect to me because i was not at all expecting it. like she was booked and busy releasing an EP and an LP and getting modelling gigs, she was playing festivals and shooting music videos and obviously it became apparent she was struggling but she seemed confident masochism would be coming out so her disappearing into the void wasn't even something i registered had really happened until like a decade later

7 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Sky is touring everywhere with those festivals, except Brazil...

:crai:

Thank God she isn't coming to Primavera Sound Brazil bc I have no money and that tickets are expensive af 😭

Janelle Monáe • Sky Ferreira • Grace Jones • Spellling • FKA twigs • Kate Bush • Kylie Minogue • Charli XCX • Carly Rae Jepsen • LOOΠ∆ • Red Velvet • Janet Jackson