TrailerParkDarling

Sky Ferreira

i think why the song might be labeled bland is because the production is virtually the same for the entire song, except for the second pre-chorus where the percussion changes for a few bars. besides that, i can see how it feels a bit one note or confusing, structure-wise. personally i like the song but wish the production varied a bit to give the verses, pre-chorus, chorus, and post-chorus more delineation! 

I’m rooting for sky but her most polished release in the last five years is voices carry which is a cover. 

Downhill Lullaby is great, it has a focus on orchestras as well as guitar and reigns itself in at the right time-the mixing is a bit dodgy but she even said it was a demo mix.

if you want to be honest, she probably has a severe form of anxiety and maybe music isn’t the best thing for her health?

the inconsistencies of what she wants to do are apparent.

sky is a big girl, if she can't handle one bad review idk im personally really over the trend of the last 10 years where it was a critics job to cater to fans and artists with gassed up inconsistent reviews. 

if this makes her never release anything again, she needs a new job. it's not healthy for her. 

tumblr_lnfi10CxUR1qdti63o1_500.gif

I’m liking all these reactions good or bad but Pitchfork’s review was a little odd considering how often they rave about Sky ddd it reminds me of them hyping up Ethel Cain for a year + enlisting her for their festival and then demolishing her amazing debut album in a horribly written review

1 hour ago, Furor Poeticus said:

Pitchfork is trash 

THE AUDACITY to call it bland after one of them heard DF before anyone else on the occasion of the cover story they did with her in 2019.

If it were bland, why would they write about it in the first place?

i mean the last mention of it was in an article about her and her upcoming releases, they can't exactly be critical. those articles are sent to the artists publicists and approved before print; even the questions are screened. it could be the worst album in the world and they'd have to say something nice or the artist would back out 

2 minutes ago, vitriolkisses said:

I’m liking all these reactions good or bad but Pitchfork’s review was a little odd considering how often they rave about Sky ddd it reminds me of them hyping up Ethel Cain for a year + enlisting her for their festival and then demolishing her amazing debut album in a horribly written review

you can like an artist as a whole and be critical of a body of work. the difference is that critics aren't stans ( who can't separate their identity from an artist the love ). the enmeshment i've seen lately is insane ( not limited to sky in the slightest). 

at the same side of things you can say " oh this critic sucks and i don't agree " and go about your day. 

like i hate pitchfork, i didn't read the review but the takes i've seen on twitter that we only need to tell her good things or she'll have a mental breakdown and never release anything is pathetic. like i've straight up seen " we need to pretend to like this song so she'll release more " 

Just now, Ceremonials said:

you can like an artist as a whole and be critical of a body of work. the difference is that critics aren't stans ( who can't separate their identity from an artist the love ). the enmeshment i've seen lately is insane ( not limited to sky in the slightest). 

at the same side of things you can say " oh this critic sucks and i don't agree " and go about your day. 

like i hate pitchfork, i didn't read the review but the takes i've seen on twitter that we only need to tell her good things or she'll have a mental breakdown and never release anything is pathetic. like i've straight up seen " we need to pretend to like this song so she'll release more " 

Taste is subjective so yes I agree no one should hound someone else for their opinion on whatever piece of art or entertainment but I’m just saying I noticed this isn’t the first time they have pulled something like this. Sky shouldn’t be coddled or shielded as she is grown, even she said it in an excerpt:

“I’m not trying to chase people with my music, you know,” she continues. “If you like it, you like it. If you don’t, you don’t. But at the same time, there were a lot of people that supported me through this, and I don’t want it to fail either, or to fail them.”

Just now, vitriolkisses said:

Taste is subjective so yes I agree no one should hound someone else for their opinion on whatever piece of art or entertainment but I’m just saying I noticed this isn’t the first time they have pulled something like this. Sky shouldn’t be coddled or shielded as she is grown, even she said it in an excerpt:

“I’m not trying to chase people with my music, you know,” she continues. “If you like it, you like it. If you don’t, you don’t. But at the same time, there were a lot of people that supported me through this, and I don’t want it to fail either, or to fail them.”

I mean, I think she's fully capable... maybe she needs someone like sza had to just tell her that it's time... honestly the best music/albums are from artists who make what they want to make despite all the bs. I hope we get descending this year at least

1 minute ago, Ceremonials said:

I mean, I think she's fully capable... maybe she needs someone like sza had to just tell her that it's time... honestly the best music/albums are from artists who make what they want to make despite all the bs. I hope we get descending this year at least

I fear SZA’s label needs to steal her flash drive again where is the album we want the damn album

dont forget is so much better than downhill lullaby, sorry it had to be said. downhill lullaby is shite 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

dont forget is so much better than downhill lullaby, sorry it had to be said. downhill lullaby is shite 

:wtf: :wtf2: :bye: 

Sorry but Downhill Lullaby is NOT shite. They're both excellent, it HAD to be said.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

2 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

:wtf: :wtf2: :bye: 

Sorry but Downhill Lullaby is NOT shite. They're both excellent, it HAD to be said.

hsjksjs yeah i know i was just exaggerating it definitely is a vibe but DF is way better 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

8 hours ago, xenomorphqueer said:

Legit don't know what some of you expected from her lol... and this doesn't sound like NTMT "filler" at all. Are we saying this is worse than Kristine or Omanko?? I sure don't think it is. This is literally in line with everything she's ever done

It is, and it is not single material. Feels just like a random track from the aforesaid album, which is simultaneously good and bad. Besides, I expected more Night Time My Time (song) vibes on Masochism that she seemed to promise all those years before. At least she's releasing something lol.

original.gif

1 hour ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Pitchfork are such fuckers honestly….maybe Halsey was right about them

Halsey has been right about a lot of things :lolliney:

Except singing at that mall lol

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

I don't hate Don't Forget, but I do hate that we waited literal years for a song that feels like she hasn't musically progressed since 2013. I think that's where a lot of the pushback is coming from. Say whatever you want about the song, good or bad, but the fact is you could slot it ANYWHERE into NTMT's tracklist & it would fit.

Honestly I'm just hoping the album if/when/should it ever come out has more diversity. Lost In My Bedroom is one of my favorite Sky songs; she shouldn't be afraid to do more stuff like that, and at this point it would be more "unexpected" than the shoegaze-y pop sound

~*RUB RUB RUBBA RUBBA RUB RUB*~

I love Don't Forget, and I love how her vocals have changed. Its clearly her, but at the same time i cant believe it, if that makes sense. I don't think it's an easy comparison to her older music at all. 

I also listened to Don't Forget in amongst the other songs we have (not sure on the current knowledge of whether they'll be on the album or not) and everything sounds so solid! I think this will be a great album.