Manson

Ultraviolence (Original Cut - Freak Footage)

I re-created the original concept of the Ultraviolence video. As most of us know, the footage for the "Freak" music video was just re-used from what Lana shoot for the title track of her second album.  The way it was cut made it seem like they didn't even really try anything else besides just putting the new Honeymoon track over it, as it didn't take too much effort to sync Ultraviolence with the footage. I really wanted to do this, because the two or three fan made cuts that are on Youtube are not really going well with the beat of the music, and I preferred this arrangement of the footage. Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think.

12 minutes ago, The Siren said:

It's done well but maybe there was a reason it wasn't used. What did the footage have anything to do with the song?

Not 100% sure if this was made for UV but some people theorize that "Jim" and "cult leader" references Jim Jones and the kool aid in the video references the Jonestown massacre/cult. Father John Misty also looks like Charles Manson here, which is fitting for the cult imagery. The ending of the video with them in the water is from Neil Krug's Pale Fire photoshoot, which was from the UV era. It kinda just makes more sense compared to it being used for Freak. Also Lana seems to have a thing for reusing music videos for later songs (like the BAR MV being used for White Mustang)

sgopYhV.gif

9 minutes ago, JehovahThikness said:

Not 100% sure if this was made for UV but some people theorize that "Jim" and "cult leader" references Jim Jones and the kool aid in the video references the Jonestown massacre/cult. Father John Misty also looks like Charles Manson here, which is fitting for the cult imagery. The ending of the video with them in the water is from Neil Krug's Pale Fire photoshoot, which was from the UV era. It kinda just makes more sense compared to it being used for Freak. Also Lana seems to have a thing for reusing music videos for later songs (like the BAR MV being used for White Mustang)

1BT4T34FuIk.jpg?size=640x640&quality=96&

16 minutes ago, JehovahThikness said:

Except BAR MV was never reused for WM tho. The MV itself was done for both songs, and you have BTS to prove that. Lana probably was like “umm, not sure if I’ll scrap this song so this will be either for BAR or WM”. But yeah, I’m pretty sure the rest is like 99% “confirmed”. It just makes sense

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

2 hours ago, JehovahThikness said:

yes!!! she said UV was written about a man (“Jim”) who she looked at like a cult leader, so the whole concept of the video is cult-themed

i feel like the original concept is so much better than the one they went with, so I kind of hate that she made this particular change lol 

but either way this is so dreamy ty 

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

On 8/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, ShadesOfFool said:

yes!!! she said UV was written about a man (“Jim”) who she looked at like a cult leader, so the whole concept of the video is cult-themed

i feel like the original concept is so much better than the one they went with, so I kind of hate that she made this particular change lol 

I'm just trying to think of how the UV video we got could have been used better, because I still really like it. 

What if it was used for Old Money? I think that could work. I might try putting it together.

edit: I tried it and it looks really nice! I didn't cut out the lip syncing cause its too pretty to discard, but the first and last minute really work :flutter:

36 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

I'm just trying to think of how the UV video we got could have been used better, because I still really like it. 

What if it was used for Old Money? I think that could work. I might try putting it together.

Omg it was such a missed opportunity to have a video for old money

11 hours ago, The Siren said:

It's done well but maybe there was a reason it wasn't used. What did the footage have anything to do with the song?

You already got the explanation but here some quotes from the Lana Wiki:

"The music video footage was filmed around June 2014, originally for "Ultraviolence" and clips from it were featured in The Honeymoon Sampler which was released onto YouTube on September 8, 2015"

"The song originally had a music video that was shot in 2014, but for unknown reasons, it was not released, and later its scenes were used in the "Honeymoon Sampler" video, as well as in the music videos for "Music to Watch Boys To" and "Freak". In 2016, Father John Misty told NME, "I filmed the 'Freak' video two years ago. It was supposed to be the video for something else... She wanted me to play a cult leader in the video, with a bunch of a women."[12] A behind-the-scenes photo of Lana Del Rey dressed in the same outfit she wears in the "Freak" video, holding a clapperboard dated 6-9-14 and reading "Ultraviolence", further supports the idea that footage used for the "Freak" video was originally intended for the "Ultraviolence" video."

8 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

I've never seen this before! Is that the date up the top? Not sure how these cut scene things work.

At the bottom right you can see the date. They filmed that in 2014. 

8 hours ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Thank you, I think it works perfectly.

14 hours ago, Manson said:

I re-created the original concept of the Ultraviolence video. As most of us know, the footage for the "Freak" music video was just re-used from what Lana shoot for the title track of her second album.  The way it was cut made it seem like they didn't even really try anything else besides just putting the new Honeymoon track over it, as it didn't take too much effort to sync Ultraviolence with the footage. I really wanted to do this, because the two or three fan made cuts that are on Youtube are not really going well with the beat of the music, and I preferred this arrangement of the footage. Hope you guys like it, let me know what you think.

That's it. That's the UV music video.

Father John Misty looks so much like Jim Morrison here. Swoon.

Next, someone has to do the video for BAR that was used in White Mustang.

35 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Thanks a lot :flutter:

I might try the Bar video in the future.

4 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

I have seen someone edit together a BAR video back in 2018 I think but I haven't been able.to find it since so I welcome this request!

19 hours ago, Manson said:

this is amazing!!

I still prefer this  video for freak and that other one for ultraviolence tho but you did a great job, it was really amazing to see how it could've turned out

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

i thought this was a leak when i saw the title help :deadbanana: but great job at editing! i love that you included the other scenes that weren't present in freak and that synchronization in the last chorus is just :squidward: divine 

18 hours ago, Manson said:

At the bottom right you can see the date. They filmed that in 2014. 

Thanks! 

So 9th June 2014? (I think that's written with the month first). That was before her performance at Glastonbury with that dress. Iconic :grinds:

6 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

and that synchronization in the last chorus is just :squidward: divine 

Omg I never put it together that the last scenes with the white smoke would be them after they died drinking the koolaid, like in heaven. I just thought it was meant to be "dreamy".

17 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

I

13 hours ago, The Siren said:

I have seen someone edit together a BAR video back in 2018 I think but I haven't been able.to find it since so I welcome this request!

I have the BAR video you're talking about downloaded. I could get it in Dropbox if we can't find the video online anymore

On 8/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, Manson said:

Also, this edit is divine ??????

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

On 8/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, Manson said:

Thanks a lot :flutter:

I might try the Bar video in the future.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:31 PM, The Siren said:

I made this Best American Record edit using the White Mustang video back when it came out 3 years ago. I had to shorten the audio because there wasn't enough footage for a 5 min plus song haha

If you are interested, you can also watch the Ultraviolence edit that I made when White Mustang video came out. I also used the footage of the ultraviolence album teaser uploaded on YouTube and Marilyn Manson polemic footage. 

Hope you enjoy it!