Elle

Arcadia [SINGLE & VIDEO] - OUT NOW

50 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Can we talk about the meaning  of the song, is it about saying fuck you to the people who unfairly criticized her for the question of the culture and insinuated that she is racist?

It's like she wants to move on and become a higher person filled with love but she's still bitter- hence, threw in that little bit at the end.

I have a feeling any reference to the criticism on this album will be similar- just little bits of "fuck you" here and there. I personally hope they don't stand out because even though she said it would be addressed on this album, I'm so far over it by now. 

Edit: with the supposed tracklist, nothing could ruin it imo :flutter:

"lay your hands on me" is a reference to the practice of kings of England and France laying their hands on their subjects to cure them of tuberculous cervical lymphadenitis (which went into remission on its own). In Arcadia she's both calling him a king and a god, and herself a subject and a queen - it actually ties in with the interlude of Carmen - it'll culminate in the next album which will be entirely from the point of Marie Antoinette, another delicate but strong woman (this is what question for the culture was really about). She recognises that he's a loser and not really curing her of anything by laying his hands upon her, but she'll go with him anyway. The "like a land rover" is a reference to where she is now, aesthetically and conceptually - she's still playing the role of being comforted by Americana, all the more to fool us when she goes full Marie Antoinette soon. 

Overall, a masterpiece. *chefs kiss*

locals only

4 hours ago, sweetie said:

Full Arcadia credits from Tidal:

Hide contents

Producer, Composer, Lyricist: Drew Erickson, Lana Del Rey

Assistant Recording Engineer: Ben Fletcher, Jon Sher

Cello: Jacob Braun

Engineer: Dean Reid, Michael Harris

Horn Arranger: Drew Erickson, Lana Del Rey

Mastering Engineer: Adam Ayan

Mixer: Dean Reid, Drew Erickson, Michael Harris

Organ: Drew Erickson

Piano: Drew Erickson

String Arranger: Drew Erickson, Lana Del Rey

Synthesizer: Drew Erickson

Trumpet: Dan Fornero, Dan Rosenboom, Wayne Bergeron

Tuba: Blake Cooper

Viola: Zach Dellinger

Violin: Andrew Bulbrook, Wynton Grant

Vocals: Lana Del Rey

lana is credited as Horn Arranger and String Arranger  :poordat:  :xcry:

Collecting my delulu thots here :nails:

Spoiler

The Dollars Trilogy is literally... my absolute favorite..  El Trio is probably one of my most played tracks of all time. When the track list first leaked and I saw "The Trio" my first thought was Ennio's song, but I thought nah she wouldn't it's already someone else's song you can't just add it to your own album, maybe she's just talking about her and some friends.. Then when all u guys started saying MORRICONE!! THE TRIO!!! INTERLUDE!!!! after it got released (I hadn't listened yet) I literally thought everyone was just joking and it had maybe some twangy guitar and a quiet horn in the background or something :trisha: imagine how speechless I was when I finally watched it :deadbanana: I've been asking for Morricone since day one :trisha:

Spoiler

I would like to say a huge and heartfelt FUCK YOU (just as Lana already did in the video<3 )to everyone who shunned people for wanting hip hop/trap/pop/larger production, all the girlies who were praising her for her alleged "maturity" and "growth" because she's 35 and not allowed to have fun anymore..... N e ways.. I never said anything because I feel like people already don't like me here and I don't want to make that worse, but it's been bothering me for a while :/ I'm tired of people putting down her earlier songs, writing, subject matter etc and in the same breath praising NFR and her "newer lyricism". It's like... she did make those old songs u guys, they're a part of her whether you like it or not, don't be disrespectful lol. In her QFTC I feel like y'all chose not to read the part that said "can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money - or whatever I want -without being crucified" and it's not like she sang "if they love me, they love me 'cause I'm mature at heart <3" .... There's definitely a post LFL "reformed Lana" newer stans and most critics prefer... and it's like. U guys, this is exactly what she's talking about lmfao (her instagram story :creep:). People who put down her older work and praise the newer stuff sound exactly the same as all the criticism she got at the beginning of and throughout her career, which is what made her feel so misunderstood and all this stuff she's been trying to talk about... idk. Her newer albums are undoubtedly beautiful projects, but they're simply not where she shines. Obviously I do not know Lana personally, so this is just my perspective and I could be completely wrong. But as someone who has been following her since her first major label album and likes a lot of the same things that she does, this is just how I've been feeling. U can b mad at me idc I love Arcadia too much to care about anything else rn. I hope I got this across correctly too because I'm bad at trying to translate my feelings into words, I'm so worried I'll be misinterpreted :defeated: 

Aaaand back to the actual song! Here are some thoughts that occurred to me while listening. Ya'll will probably roll your eyes at me I'm sorry lmao I know I'm dumb 

- "Hangin' out the Hilton Hotel window screaming 'hey, baby let's go'" in For A Few Dollars More, there's a sequence where The Man With No Name (I'm just gonna call him Clint for ease lol) and Mortimer are looking at each other through hotel windows across the street from each other, and later Mortimer watches out his hotel window as Clint rides back into town, they give each other a little nod because they've agreed to work together. Not really important but it did cross my mind lol

- "my chest the Sierra Madre / my curves San Gabriel all day" etc is the same mountainous desert and Spanish architecture imagery as in the trilogy, same with "a cross on the hill" like Sad Hill Cemetery in the movie, which is also where the movie climaxes and we get our interlude from :ma: 

- the word Arcadia itself, I know we already talked about it's definition but I think for Lana she's kind of equating it to the American Dream (in a loose sense), and because El Trio is attached to this I'm going to continue connecting them idc :creep: while arcadia means a simple, peaceful life; western expansion was anything but. We tend to romanticize it as "the last frontier" "the wild west" and play up it's lawlessness and freedom, but it was also a genocide and that needs to be acknowledged. I think Lana was getting at the romanticized version tho, perhaps aligning herself with the anti-hero outlaw (Clint's character, who is also an American icon/legend and we know how Lana loves those lol). I feel like that makes sense considering the media tears her apart for not fitting into their contrived worldview yet she still has the courage of her conviction and refuses to back down, even if that makes her "bad" in their eyes. She moves outside of the law/what is expected of her, but her intentions are rock candy sweet good. Hence "they built me up three hundred feet tall just to tear me down / so I'm leavin' with nothing but laughter, and this town [...] western bound, plus the hate that they gave / by the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya / but you’ll need a miracle"

- sampling The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is so on the nose lol I love it. I love Arcadia and this interlude so much. Hotels are transitional/liminal spaces, they don't represent permanence. A lost little girl would not have a permanent "home", but something that feels familiar like a hotel chain would be a good substitute. A cross on a hill could represent a lot of things (including a grave, which is def permanent lol), but it makes me think of Sad Hill so that's what I'm going w rn. Sad Hill was designed to look like an arena, it's where the trio battle it out for the hidden confederate gold they've been after. Maybe she feels like that's her and the media in a gunfight/duel? Regardless, I really admire that she doesn't back down or shy away from things, and is willing to learn along the way. I'm so excited for what's to come!!!

I've only listened to it like twice so far cuz I'm super busy, I might come back w more later :)

UbsOye5.png

21 minutes ago, Sugar Venom said:
Spoiler

I would like to say a huge and heartfelt FUCK YOU (just as Lana already did in the video<3 )to everyone who shunned people for wanting hip hop/trap/pop/larger production, all the girlies who were praising her for her alleged "maturity" and "growth" because she's 35 and not allowed to have fun anymore.....

AMEN SISTER, so done with those sexist age discussions about her :pls: 

this mv was....amazing. I wish I could experience watching this video for the first time because of how shook I was when 4:30 kicked in :trisha:... the interlude/sample made it feel like a cinematic movie and it gave Lana's old Hollywood appeal. I went into this 99% sure the interlude would just be a nice orchestra piece, so when the majestic horns kicked in and she lowered her glasses my jaw dropped, but then the beat dropped, and I screammedd. I'm so obsessed with the aesthetic too and I'm addicted to watching this over and over again