Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

3 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

Guys can someone please tell me if Thunder still has any indie rock vibes or were the drums and guitars removed and replaced with only…

Reveal hidden contents

strings and piano? I really hope it still has that jangly indie rock vibe at least a little! IM NERVOUS

Spoiler

You know what I think it gives more of a lounge singer type of vibe more so now, both versions are beautiful but the album version has levels to it whereas the demo is punch and go WHICH WORKS TOO. It just shows Lana works in so many colours 

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

Just now, COCC said:

Reveal hidden contents

Play WW instead… since she‘s raging at you :ma: or Dealer at full volume :ma:

Spoiler

Gonna blame her for ending awkward but sweet </3

1 minute ago, whitelungswhitepalms said:
  Hide contents

You know what I think it gives more of a lounge singer type of vibe more so now, both versions are beautiful but the album version has levels to it whereas the demo is punch and go WHICH WORKS TOO. It just shows Lana works in so many colours 

Thank you!!!!! I still believe it will be one of my favorites and this made me more excited :crai::crying:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

Thank you!!!!! I still believe it will be one of my favorites and this made me more excited :crai::crying:

I love the original Thunder and the new Thunder. They are both great for different reasons.

Spoiler

Album version of Thunder feels a lot sadder to me.

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

Spoiler

First impressions 3 listens in

Text Book - 10/10 - Amazing in every way; lyrics, music, vocals, melody, structure, meaning

Blue Banisters - 10/10 - Same as Text Book

Arcadia - 10/10 - This is one of her best songs ever. Absolutely fell in love with it the moment it dropped. Incredible lyrics...

Interlude - 5/10 - I don't hate it, it's actually nice, but I hate the fact that it exists. Serves no purpose no matter its meaning

Black Bathing Suit - 10/10 - I got chills with this one. The opening lines are a bit weak but then it turns into a perfectly-crafted piece, meaningful and sassy. I loved the music and 'artistic decisions' haha

If You Lie Down With Me - 8/10 - Not a big fan of the too-2014 lyricism (especially the chorus) but it's a beautiful song, nice melody

Beautiful - 7/10 - The lyrics hit me hard... however the Picasso part was a huge turn off. Nice piano and vocals. I don't particularly like when songs focus too much on verses and nothing on choruses but it was acceptable

Violet for Roses - 7/10 - Beautiful and grand; lyrics are very good except for a few clichés that I thought she was over

Dealer - 8/10 - Strong track with good and dark lyrics, great vocal performances from both artists, however production could've been more interesting

Thunder - 8/10 - I know why this is most people's favorite, and I love it, but I'm not too crazy about it. Gorgeous regardless.

Wildflower Wildfire - 7/10 - I absolutely love the lyrics in this one but I'm not too keen on the melody, production and vocals. It's too saturated.

Nectar of the Gods - 3/10 - Ugh... I never liked this song, and the fact that it's here, all bare and boring... it adds nothing to the album. Also, that last line... I know she contains multitudes but she can't suddenly claim she's "now lost" when she just put out an album saying she's no longer a candle in the wind like 4 times haha

Living Legend - 6/10 - It's okay. Good melody and sentiment, but it's just there for me. Would've loved a re-recording.

Cherry Blossom - 10/10 - Ahhh, so beautiful. I only listened to this once when it leaked, and it's brilliant! 

Sweet Carolina - 8/10 - Not the astonishing closer I thought it would be (and y'all making it to be...) but it's still so pretty, funny and personal.

Overall...

I think this is a really good album. 73/100 first impression. I'm always mostly excited for her lyrics, and they're really good in this album. They're different from NFR! and COTCC. I don't think it brings tells us anything we didn't know already, it's more of a "this is me, explicitly and less thought out," she's showing herself exactly as she is... a complicated soul with a well-intended heart with a simple, beautiful way to see the world around her... troubled past and present. She's clarifying what we already knew about LDR. There are a few inconsistencies lyrically, but I guess it's nice that she's proud of old songs with clichéd ideas. Production-wise, it has magnificent moments and then, again, a few inconsistencies. The inclusion of unreleased songs really affected the quality of the album for me. Vocally it's all great.

I'm a bit troubled with the fact that she dropped Text Book, Blue Banisters, Wildflower and Arcadia as pre-album singles, because they're virtually the most important songs. I would've loved to be impressed by these songs once the album is out. Also, and I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I hate Blue Banisters as the album title. I think Rock Candy Sweet would've been much better. Blue Banisters sounds like something people wouldn't remember while looking back at her discography in 15 years.

Anyway, I'll keep on listening and exploring this album! I'm glad most of y'all enjoy it. X

1 hour ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

I thought I saw someone mention this but can’t find the reply:

I don’t really care a ton about his opinions, but I’m really interested to see Anthony Fantano’s thoughts on this record given his wildly varying responses to Lana’s discography. 

spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

After watching his past critiques on Lana’s music, I think he might give it a 6 or light 7. A lot of stylistic choices he’s criticized in the past seem more apparent on this record, but we’ll see! 

My guess is that he’ll enjoy Thunder/VFR but hate Beautiful and Dealer. I think he responded fairly positively to the triple singles, too

I'm sure his pretentious ass is going to HATE it :awk:

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

girl what in the hell-
what's the context?

Spoiler

You said I was bad

let me show them what bad girls do

in my black bathing suit

oh let them talk about me

theyre just yesterdays news

theyre fucking broke and were laughing about them

It’s like her laughing at people criticizing her I guess

9 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

girl what in the hell-
what's the context?

Spoiler

It's in the outro/bridge of the song but I don't know all the lyrics so not 100% sure what she's talking about

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over