Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

1 hour ago, Sportscruiser said:

You think so? I remember them doing something similar days before NFR came out but I didn’t know this is a sign they liked the album.

Best New Music incoming :makeup2:

I really don't know what to expect from the critics but a positive review by Pitchfork will certainly help in terms of exposure and promotion. Anyone interested in detective work? Have they posted something similar for an upcoming album before? I hope this won't backfire and we end up with a negative review lol. 

23 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

FR THOUGH 

Reveal hidden contents

bitch 1: the album sounds exactly like the singles they're all piano ballads

bitch 2: OMG IT'S SO EXPERIMENTAL BIRD SOUNDS CIRCUS IS IN TOWN VIOLINS OUT OF SYNC DRUMS THIS IS ULTRAVIOLENCE 2.0

Spoiler

Miss Thing I: Black Bathing Suit is so experimental! Best track on the album and one of her best tracks ever. A career highlight me thinks. Those tempo changes are to die for! The lyricism! The instrumentals!

Miss Thing II: Mama what is dis? So chaotic and messy. When you're getting used to a certain tempo, this bitch changes it again. What's going on with all these crows, waters, and belts sound effects? And that outro is batshit crazy wtf!

Miss Thing III: This should be a single. It's so catchy!

Miss Thing I: IYLDWM is one of her greatest tracks. And that outro is one of her best instrumentals ever!

Miss Thing II: IYLDWM should be a single. It's classic Lana with a twist!

Miss Thing III: This is such a disappointment. So boring. And what's up with the random circus music in the end?

Miss Thing I: Beautiful is so simple and gorgeous. So touching and ethereal!

Miss Thing II: Worst track on the album. Cute but forgettable.

Miss Thing I: Violets for Roses is nice but uneventful. There's no climax.

Miss Thing II: Violets for Roses is *that* bitch. One of her best songs ever.

Miss Thing I: Sweet Carolina is her best closer periodt. Angelic and joyful and just masterful. Wow.

Miss Thing II: Sweet Carolina is cute but too diaristic and personal for me.

Not to mention rankings changing dramatically in a matter of...hours lol! 

:silly::uh:

Spoiler

BBS is not a 10/10

Spoiler

Is it lower then a 10?

Spoiler

No

Spoiler

Is it a 11/10?

Spoiler

No

Spoiler

It's a 1000/10!!

Spoiler

:oprah4:

Spoiler

:defeated:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Spoiler

I've listened to the album several times now and have to say that each time some songs shine through more than others. It depends on what mood you are in. Some songs need time to grow. I think there is something for everyone and the record does not get boring so quickly even after repeated listening. I have never listened to an album so many times consecutively.

I kinda regret reading spoilers and listening to the leak because now

Spoiler

I'll never feel the utter shock and amazement that BBS is Grenadine Quarantine and If This Is The End, I Want A Boyfriend.

Anyway

Spoiler

MAIL ME WHEN YOU GET THE BLUES

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

24 minutes ago, BlueGreenGray said:

I don't know what to expect from the critics but a positive review by Pitchfork will certainly help in terms of exposure and promotion. Anyone interested in detective work? Have they done this before? It'd be hilarious and sad if they pan the album on Friday though. 

I scoured Pitchfork and they did have COCC on a most anticipated list then ended up giving it a 7.5 (same as Honeymoon, which had no Best New Track awards either). I think they usually pick one album to feature in their post to check out these anticipated album lists, so it’s not *too* special. However, I do have a feeling, as a frequent Pitchfork reader and critic for a small music outlet myself, that BB will get just a slightly higher rating. I think it’s promising that they recently chose to rescore BTD from a 5.5 to 7.8. The thing that makes me believe it will not get Best New Music is because I believe nearly always at least one single from a Best New Album gets awarded Best New Track prior to release.

None of the tringles or Arcadia got BNT. When we consider that “Love” got BNT but LFL got a 7.7, that leaves me more concerned that BB, with no BNTs, will be scored lower than LFL — UNLESS they award BNT to a different track on Friday/release day.

So on these context clues alone, my guess is they’re going to give BB *gulps* a 7.6 (one point above COCC)… but I have not heard the album so I will update this post once I’ve heard it and can make a more educated guess. 

side note - Pitchfork has a habit of awarding close follow-ups within one point of each other. Example: folklore = 8 but evermore = 7.9… so under this theory a 7.6 for BB would fit their usual rubric for whatever reason…

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, yourolllikethunder said:

I scoured Pitchfork and they did have COCC on a most anticipated list then ended up giving it a 7.5. I think they usually pick one album to feature in their post to check out these anticipated album lists, so it’s not *too* special. However, I do have a feeling, as a frequent Pitchfork reader and critic for a small music outlet myself, that BB will get a higher rating. I think it’s promising that they recently chose to rescore BTD from a 5.5 to 7.8. The thing that makes me believe it will not get Best New Music is because I believe nearly always at least one single from the album will get Best New Track. 

None of the tringles or Arcadia got BNT. When we consider that “Love” got BNT but LFL got a 7.7, that leaves me more concerned that BB will be scored lower than LFL — UNLESS they award BNT to a different track on Friday/release day.

So on these context clues alone, my guess is they’re going to give BB *gulps* a 7.6… but I have not heard the album so I will update this post once I’ve heard it and can make a more educated guess.

i don’t think they reviewed any singles ( in order to give them best new track) tho? idk i may be wrong idk how that site works JSJD

I’m trying to hold off listening to the leak anymore until it’s released so she can get streams but it’s literally so hard not to play the album :cryney: there’s crack in there 

UbsOye5.png

1 hour ago, Marius said:

Means they already heard and loved the album. We won :oprah4:

They do this all of the time, even with albums they don't like. The Insta post is just linked to an older article about music coming out this fall (the article says the date for BB has yet to be announced). I'm still expecting a mid 7 and (obviously) no Best New Music title lol:crai:

1 minute ago, Gothicula said:

i don’t think they reviewed any singles ( in order to give them best new track) tho? idk i may be wrong idk how that site works JSJD

They did write articles on the releases, they don’t always do reviews—but surely they wouldn’t have missed reviewing a track they want to award BNT you know? Just my thoughts! 

PFK Arcadia article: https://pitchfork.com/news/lana-del-rey-details-new-album-blue-banisters-shares-video-new-song-arcadia-watch/

PFK tringles article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/news/lana-del-rey-releases-3-new-songs-listen/amp/

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

I scoured Pitchfork and they did have COCC on a most anticipated list then ended up giving it a 7.5. I think they usually pick one album to feature in their post to check out these anticipated album lists, so it’s not *too* special. However, I do have a feeling, as a frequent Pitchfork reader and critic for a small music outlet myself, that BB will get just a slightly higher rating. I think it’s promising that they recently chose to rescore BTD from a 5.5 to 7.8. The thing that makes me believe it will not get Best New Music is because I believe nearly always at least one single from a Best New Album gets awarded Best New Track prior to release.

None of the tringles or Arcadia got BNT. When we consider that “Love” got BNT but LFL got a 7.7, that leaves me more concerned that BB, with no BNTs, will be scored lower than LFL — UNLESS they award BNT to a different track on Friday/release day.

So on these context clues alone, my guess is they’re going to give BB *gulps* a 7.6… but I have not heard the album so I will update this post once I’ve heard it and can make a more educated guess.

I'm genuinely surprised by the fact that they haven't reviewed a single track so far. They did review LMLYLAW when it was released last year. At least they put Text Book on their Pitchfork Selects Spotify Playlist I guess. But I'm expecting yet another rating between 7.0 and 7.8 anyway lol.  

Any of the singles deserved Best New Track imo so I have no idea why they didn't. Are we really pretending that Love is better than Blue Banisters, Text Book, Arcadia, and Wildflower Wildfire? No shade, Love is great, but let's be real. I can only assume that they didn't want to cover her too much due to the controversies, but they seem to have since changed their minds and decided to get behind her once again.

9 minutes ago, Gothicula said:

I don't think they ever do this. Occasionally, if an artist surprise releases an album or releases w/o any singles, Pitchfork will award a Best New Track at the time of the album release (example: Solange's Almeda). But that's not a typical thing that happens. 

1 minute ago, DCooper said:

Any of the singles deserved Best New Track imo so I have no idea why they didn't. Are we really pretending that Love is better than Blue Banisters, Text Book, Arcadia, and Wildflower Wildfire? No shade, Love is great, but let's be real. I can only assume that they didn't want to cover her too much due to the controversies, but they seem to have since changed their minds and decided to get behind her once again.

I hope you’re right!! I would LOVE to see BB get at least 8.0!

giphy.gif

I think there was such a post-NFR letdown from Chemtrails and those three singles that some publications like Pitchfork chose not to review/give much attention to Arcadia. There will always be media attention around Lana, but there seems to be a little less nowadays. I think a lot of music critics just don't care as much anymore. People who like her will always like her, and those don't probably won't start now. NFR kind of felt like a peak for her career: she was getting all of the media attention she got during that early BTD to Ultraviolence era but instead of it being confused or negative, it was largely positive. Chemtrails kind of broke that stride and I suspect BB will really end it.