Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

I think the atmosphere of Blue Banisters as a whole (videos, music, album covers, etc.) could be described as "cozy, autumn afternoon". There's such a particular vibe and aesthetic that's been built around this era and I can't even point my finger on how it was done, but it's stunning. 

imageproxy.jpg

1 minute ago, lil aerosol said:

I mean because it might impact Lana's drop/sales

I myself don't particularly care about charts/sales updates etc. but I thought people who are interested in the commercial success of BB might b interested

oh, sorry for the misunderstanding! lol!

i don't really care for charts/sales either, regardless of whoever else might release, lana's album will still likely be successful, and we can't always change the fact that another popular artist could release the same day that lana does, it's all about the music & the art at the end of the day :bop: 

WGe8ynS.gif

Just now, Surf Noir said:

oh, sorry for the misunderstanding! lol!

i don't really care for charts/sales either, regardless of whoever else might release, lana's album will still likely be successful, and we can't always change the fact that another popular artist could release the same day that lana does, it's all about the music & the art at the end of the day :bop: 

No worries yeah I feel the same way - just super hyped for new Lana and potentially new Kendrick :oprah:

And yeah with the whole social media situation it doesn't look like she's gunning for a huge commercial splash regardless

nice cocc bro

Just now, plastiscguy said:

I mean... If BB/COCC were a single project with their best songs, it would probably be Lana's best album...

Not to offend anyone here, but NFR already seemed (except for 2/3 songs) like quite a weak album compared to COCC, and putting it against BB is just absurd. I absolutely respect the fact that people can like one album more than the other (be them which they may), but all the NFR discourse on that review has absolutely zero to do with artistic elements on NFR (there isnt any reflection based on that criterion there) and everything with the critics reception of that album. Saying that an album is "a masterpiece" just because critics have said so is absurd. I truly, truly miss some approach to that album that differs from the "official" one. It's hurtful to see that BB isnt even out yet and still it's already getting undermined by reviews done by parameters as such...

Yeah if it’s true that Kendrick drops he’ll sell several hundred thousand first week but oh well at that point lol no hope 

that “premature” review was what it claimed to be… premature. Needed some more time to work it out better 

Just now, soaringHigh said:

What Lana meant by sweet revenge. She doesn't even have to lift a finger to make critics finally show their true colours. Her mind! :godlaugh:

Couldn't agree more with this. She's about to release what's shaping up to be her most complex, intrincate and diverse album from a musical, lyrical and artistical point of view, yet critics are already releasing their prefabricated views based on whats safe to say within their field, disregarding absolutely the freaking album they have in their hands. Not that this wasn't something expectable, but it doesnt make it less frustrating. 

ok besties doing my big Lana re-listen in prep for BB and BTD is THAT BITCH. I know everyone says UV this, UV that but the iconography of this record? BTD? DARK PARADISE? CARMEN? WITHOUT YOU??? ahhh. my soul is not ready for Paradise:bored:

"premature evaluation" is correct, i'm starting to feel like i was too harsh on the album after i first listen, but i'm thinking that i'm going to warm up to it a lot more (even though i haven't listened to it since it first leaked) :true: give it time, all of her albums will be considered classics in time :agree: 

WGe8ynS.gif

42 minutes ago, sjatib said:

So Blue Bannisters is ambient music but if it was mixed with COTCC it could have reach NFR heights... Ye, how not! It's lovely to see the critics accepting their own charicature status! 

I absolutely dread the fact that critics now consider 'NFR!' to be the blueprint of Lana albums, like the one that she will need to top. In my honest opinion, 'Blue Banisters' stands on its own and does not need to be compared in any capacity to her so called "career height". :pls:

I know I've said a lot about 'NFR!' since day one, and I have definitely softened up to that album, but I still have so many issues with it; while I think it's a good album, the demo-like production, tin can mixing and oftentimes cringe lyrics are seriously ruining the whole experience for me. In that regard, 'Blue Banisters' is overall miles ahead.

1 minute ago, West Coast said:

I absolutely dread the fact that critics now consider 'NFR!' to be the blueprint of Lana albums, like the one that she will need to top. In my honest opinion, 'Blue Banisters' stands on its own and does not need to be compared in any capacity to her so called "career height". :pls:

it's honestly stupid to compare every album she's ever made/will eventually make to nfr, is she supposed to do the exact same thing for the rest of her career? are all of her past albums completely irrelevant garbage because she made a record which they think is valid enough? :fact: artists grow, shift, change, & experiment, it's such a foolish pedestal to put her on, especially since lana's hinted at the fact that she wasn't happy about people respecting her only when she made an album which was "happier" and more "gp friendly", they could only respect her artistry if it didn't push the boundaries and go beyond the comfort zones of the today's music landscapes, there will never be another lana del rey, or born to die, or ultraviolence, she created something truly unique & special, yet they only respect her vision if it's one they can be comfortable with :fact: 

WGe8ynS.gif

6 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

it's honestly stupid to compare every album she's ever made/will eventually make to nfr, is she supposed to do the exact same thing for the rest of her career? are all of her past albums completely irrelevant garbage because she made a record which they think is valid enough? :fact: artists grow, shift, change, & experiment, it's such a foolish pedestal to put her on, especially since lana's hinted at the fact that she wasn't happy about people respecting her only when she made an album which was "happier" and more "gp friendly", they could only respect her artistry if it didn't push the boundaries and go beyond the comfort zones of the today's music landscapes, there will never be another lana del rey, or born to die, or ultraviolence, she created something truly unique & special, yet they only respect her vision if it's one they can be comfortable with :fact: 

I agree with everything here, especially the highlighted part, like to me this is one of the few factors that enabled 'NFR!' to receive such critical acclaim. It was her least controversial album. Lana definitely echoed that when she said "what was not to like about NFR!?" she knew what was up. :blush3:

36 minutes ago, lil aerosol said:

I mean because it might impact Lana's drop/sales

I myself don't particularly care about charts/sales updates etc. but I thought people who are interested in the commercial success of BB might b interested

I don’t think she was going number 1 anyway since she only has CDs and streaming. 

Thank God Lana makes music for herself and her fans and not for so called music critics who seemingly live in their little echo chamber—thinking they make and break careers.

5 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I agree with everything here, especially the highlighted part, like to me this is one of the few factors that enabled 'NFR!' to receive such critical acclaim. It was her least controversial album. Lana definitely echoed that when she said "what was not to like about NFR!?" she knows what's up. :blush3:

yet, now it seems like everybody wants their chance at working with jack antonoff and creating their own beachy/folky bodies of work... even when she's more "likable" & "accessible" she's an influential trendsetter :oopna:

WGe8ynS.gif

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

yet, now it seems like everybody wants their chance at working with jack antonoff and creating their own beachy/folky bodies of work... even when she's more "likable" & "accessable" she's a influential trendsetter :oopna:

The Walmart of producers, cheap and affordable. :brows:
No offence to him, I think he's a talented musician and he's made great songs for and with Lana, but lately he seems a bit... artistically tired.

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

yet, now it seems like everybody wants their chance at working with jack antonoff and creating their own beachy/folky bodies of work... even when she's more "likable" & "accessible" she's an influential trendsetter :oopna:

I've noticed this so much since NFR. I don't know if it was others seeing the heavy acclaim it got or what, but after that album, a lot of artists have started trying to make their own mini NFRs. I find it kind of funny that BTD and NFR have been influential to other artists despite being such different albums. I wonder if people will start emulating Blue Banisters if it does well :brows:

imageproxy.jpg