Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

18 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

it's honestly stupid to compare every album she's ever made/will eventually make to nfr, is she supposed to do the exact same thing for the rest of her career? are all of her past albums completely irrelevant garbage because she made a record which they think is valid enough? :fact: artists grow, shift, change, & experiment, it's such a foolish pedestal to put her on, especially since lana's hinted at the fact that she wasn't happy about people respecting her only when she made an album which was "happier" and more "gp friendly", they could only respect her artistry if it didn't push the boundaries and go beyond the comfort zones of the today's music landscapes, there will never be another lana del rey, or born to die, or ultraviolence, she created something truly unique & special, yet they only respect her vision if it's one they can be comfortable with :fact: 

15 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I agree with everything here, especially the highlighted part, like to me this is one of the few factors that enabled 'NFR!' to receive such critical acclaim. It was her least controversial album. Lana definitely echoed that when she said "what was not to like about NFR!?" she knows what's up. :blush3:

These posts remind me of a conversation I had with a friend after NFR came out. They really liked the record and I said something like, “wow, that’s great, you should definitely check out some of Lana’s other albums, like Ultraviolence and Honeymoon!” And they had the audacity to look me in the eye and say , “no thanks, those albums are too Lana, like they’re too melodramatic for me.” I was quite perturbed by that comment and can vouch for what everyone is saying about the general public being more receptive to a record that veers away from what they typically associate with Lana (hence, my friend using ‘Lana’ as a descriptor in and of itself). 

While I love NFR and think it’s an amazing record, people’s dismissal of her other 7 records is exactly my issue with the culture. Beating a dead horse, I know — but the entire point of Question for the Culture was valid, and is applicable to any woman (and I guess a bit further, any person) existing in any space, professional or not (I can attest to this personally).

I think critics and everyone liked NFR because it was a watered down version of Lana so it was easier to digest. It’s a cute album, easy to listen to but to call it her best or to try to act like nothing will top it is just silly. Lana said it herself, if everyone likes it maybe it’s not that good. Again, it’s a cute album but it’s like a watered down version of Lana. 

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

Exactly. Stereogum and their readers are examples of the "too cool indie dorks" I mentioned yesterday. NFR! is their *safe* album. The album it's okay to like by Lana. Anything else and they're outside their comfort zone... daring to have an opinion outside the hivemind. It's transparent, and honestly, hilarious. NFR! may be one of her best albums, but that doesn't mean she hasn't made music just as good since then (or even before).

6 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

These posts remind me of a conversation I had with a friend after NFR came out. They really liked the record and I said something like, “wow, that’s great, you should definitely check out some of Lana’s other albums, like Ultraviolence and Honeymoon!” And they had the audacity to look me in the eye and say , “no thanks, those albums are too Lana, like they’re too melodramatic for me.” I was quite perturbed by that comment and can vouch for what everyone is saying about the general public being more receptive to a record that veers away from what they typically associate with Lana (hence, my friend using ‘Lana’ as a descriptor in and of itself). 

While I love NFR and think it’s an amazing record, people’s dismissal of her other 7 records is exactly my issue with the culture. Beating a dead horse, I know — but the entire point of Question for the Culture was valid, and is applicable to any woman (and I guess a bit further, any person) existing in any space, professional or not (I can attest to this!).

Just goes to show that 'NFR!', while it has its qualities and I can understand the appreciation it gets, from an OG fan perspective it feels like her most digestible album; I don't want to say it's watered down, because there is definitely some Lana-isms in there, but it's definitely not as controversial as a body of work than albums like 'Born To Die' or 'Ultraviolence'. You either like Lana as she is or you don't, this whole "I like it when she's not really doing her thing" to dismiss her earlier work is so silly.

I genuinely believe that 'Blue Banisters' is a beautiful album, but it's definitely not made for the masses.

Just now, IanadeIrey said:

While I love NFR and think it’s an amazing record, people’s dismissal of her other 7 records is exactly my issue with the culture. Beating a dead horse, I know — but the entire point of Question for the Culture was valid, and is applicable to any woman existing in any space, professional or not (I can attest to this!).

she says "too lana" like it's a bad thing :eyeroll2: what does that even mean? although nfr isn't quite filled with all of the "lana tropes" (which i personally love those "tropes") it's still made by the exact same woman who made born to die, paradise, etc. i don't even think lana's music is that "melodramatic" and honestly, this is a matter of personal taste but, i'd rather listen to lana's "melodramatic" music filled with "lana tropes" then something which is made for the critics or a wide audience, lana's music is polarizing, it's unique, it's not for everybody, but it's geniune, it's real, it's true art, especiall in a day & age where people seem to value money & commercial value over real artistry

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

NFR is and will always be my favorite Lana album, but the reason the general public liked it so much was because it was so easy to listen to. It wasn't what Lana typically does and now continues to do. Lana wasn't widely taken seriously as an artist until NFR, and now people expect her to just make a million remakes of that album which isn't fair to her in the slightest. I wouldn't say that NFR is less authentic, if anything I think it's one of her most authentic pieces of works yet, but the lyrics and sound felt more like they were playing it safe than her previous albums did (which I don't think was the intention by any means). Blue Banisters doesn't play it safe at all. Lana plays with her voice and she makes unusual production choices and she's so vulnerable and open in the lyrics that it can be jarring or almost uncomfortable to listen to at times. And that's what Lana has been doing her whole career. You can go all the way back to No Kung Fu and get that same feeling. She didn't do that as much on Norman which is why I think it's widely known by the public as her magnum opus. It's her most accessible album. I just really don't think that people who only know and like Lana for NFR are going to fully understand or be able to appreciate Blue Banisters. 

imageproxy.jpg

lana's "tropes" really make her lyricism & music even more in-depth & artistic, roses, chateau marmont, diamonds, classic rock musicians, hollywood, palms, "daddy", trailer parks, tattoos, motorcycles, etc. would the lana del rey experience be the same if she didn't mention "blue" in every other song? i don't think so! :oprah3:

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

NFR! is honestly probably my favorite Lana album to this day, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's her best? It definitely is safe in some ways that Blue Banisters, for instance, isn't. If that makes sense. It's much easier for critics to drag her for what she's doing on Blue Banisters compared to NFR, in my opinion.

She feels much more exposed on this new album to me.

10 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-best-new-music-albums-records-singles-tpwn520g5

Can anyone get beyond this paywall? Lana's review is in this article, but I can't see it.

Hopefully I uploaded this correctly :legend:

Spoiler

EAE15-ECA-A14-F-48-DC-9-EBE-3-D6-E14-F48

♬  ♥  .。.    .。.   ♥  ♬

There are violets in your eyes
There are guns that blaze around you
There are roses in between my thighs
And a fire that surrounds you

8 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

Woo hoo!!! That's a great review. 4 stars! 

be aware, most instant album reviews before the actual release are most frequently ''promotion''. The label send the record for specific media channels and they tend to speak more positively about the albums. An example of this: first 'rare' reviews of selena gomez before and right after the release were great but after a couple days with more ''honest'' articles the album were trashed 

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

3 minutes ago, fine china said:

It might be early to say but I think I love BB and NFR equally :legend:

Same. Honeymoon, NFR! and Blue Banisters mean a lot to me

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, Ultraviolencequeen said:
  Hide contents

For those who’ve listened, is BB more like NFR or UV?

Spoiler

Honestly, neither. It might have the piano driven energy that some 'NFR!' songs had, but the piano is just plain better honestly.

10 minutes ago, GrenadineGrass said:

be aware, most instant album reviews before the actual release are most frequently ''promotion''. The label send the record for specific media channels and they tend to speak more positively about the albums. An example of this: first 'rare' reviews of selena gomez before and right after the release were great but after a couple days with more ''honest'' articles the album were trashed 

We all know Sputnik Music will be crashing in with their 0/5 review when the MC score starts looking too good. It's dark but just a game.

2 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

We all know Sputnik Music will be crashing in with their 0/5 review when the MC score starts looking too good. It's dark but just a game.

im waiting for the los angeles times and nme hyping up the score and then sputnik and the guardian crushing it

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*