Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

Just now, Thoth said:

Somebody asked if Thunder still has guitars and he replied:

"It does, especially bass. It's just not something you focus on as much"

Based on all of the descriptions of the song he's given so far, Thunder is looking like it's gonna be at least top five for me. Maybe even top three :oprah4:

imageproxy.jpg

Something I'm curious about is, many people have said that the unreleased tracks haven't been reworked... but have they been re-recorded? 

I understand why Lana sort of uses a single recording take for that feeling of raw vulnerability (like PWYC) It helps with the narrative of the songs, but... is she that lazy to use the same exact recording that's like 5 or 6 years old? :creep:

Because it can't be that hard to re-record some vocals and some instruments yet keeping it the same way it was at the same time... Right?

I'm sure they'd remaster it at best, but it's just weird lol. Her voice has changed, matured and evolved a lot for the past years. It'd sound... weird.

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

I'm happy we will have two versions of Thunder. the leak was already in a quite good quality, I know many of us have already overplayed that :nono: so a new version with strings and different production elements will bring more to the table

Spoiler

and I'm sure we will get the 'rock' demo in HQ sooner or later after the album drops

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

4 minutes ago, BlueGreenGray said:

Thunder can be a big alt/rock hit if it's pushed as a single. The melody is infectious and iconic. 

I really hope they don't miss that opportunity... many tracks could have made it at least decently in the radio. Like look at Doin' Time (it was even played in my country :toofunny:) she can do it! But this time I think that's in the label's hands?

1 hour ago, Unban Deluluking said:

“There’s no popular artist alive today that doesn’t owe some debt to Del Rey’s artistic vision.”

It had to be said. It bothers me that those who look down on Lana's music because it's not politically correct enough for them are the same people who would praise some alt/pop acts for being "innovative" and for "changing the music industry", completely disregarding the fact that most of them were influenced by Lana (and are pretty vocal about it too). Even acts bigger than her (Taylor Swift, Billy Eyelash etc). She is the blueprint. :true:  

BOZ about track 12-14 

"To my knowledge they are untouched (maybe just remastered a bit), but I have no explanation to why Rick Nowels suddenly has credit on Cherry Blossom, he never had it on my side, so maybe he ended up doing something on it that I just missed and the song is reworked? Probably not tho and Lana just randomly remembered that the song first became an idea during session with Rick and decided to credit him. Really not sure on that."

1 minute ago, plastiscguy said:

BOZ about track 12-14 

"To my knowledge they are untouched (maybe just remastered a bit), but I have no explanation to why Rick Nowels suddenly has credit on Cherry Blossom, he never had it on my side, so maybe he ended up doing something on it that I just missed and the song is reworked? Probably not tho and Lana just randomly remembered that the song first became an idea during session with Rick and decided to credit him. Really not sure on that."

This is with safety mode on. Rick is probably just as confused, but she'd rather be safe than text. I totally feel that. 

Do we think anything else is happening this month? It'll be interesting to see if Lana has anything else up her sleeve for September 

imageproxy.jpg

On the topic of whether or not she should be tacking on unreleased tracks like she has been, can't we all agree that it's kind of a compromise (and introspective af) that she's working them almost as mirror pieces to her unheard stuff? Not only does it validate her consistency and belief in her songs years after the fact, but an unreleased album is a harder sell for those who want to hear fresh stuff, and it really is kind of silly to think that it would be something a studio would throw all the costs into if they're already in everybody's libraries. She's being smart and creative with it, and that's a nice gesture from her. I'm sure she'd just love to hop on Spotify with 66-unreleased songs, but ain't nobody gonna let her do it. :oprah3:

14 minutes ago, House of Balloons said:

It had to be said. It bothers me that those who look down on Lana's music because it's not politically correct enough for them are the same people who would praise some alt/pop acts for being "innovative" and for "changing the music industry", completely disregarding the fact that most of them were influenced by Lana (and are pretty vocal about it too). Even acts bigger than her (Taylor Swift, Billy Eyelash etc). She is the blueprint. :true:  

I mean people should just shut up if they have no idea what they are talking about :creep: just listen to the music you like and vibe with it. IMO you also should always maintain some respect for any music and the people associated with it: even if it's something you do not personally care for and especially if you haven't done the tiniest research. so sick of people talking shit 

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

8 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

BOZ about track 12-14 

Lana is trolling everyone at this point. First Arcadia was supposed to be a piano ballad; then Rick Nowels has credits on Cherry Blossom; then the album was supposed to be digitally released on October 8 but it'll be released along with physicals on October 22. Even Boz is unsure: have the old tracks been rerecorded/remastered/reworked or not? Lol. Now wait till Nikki Lane sings the chorus of Black Bathing Suit accompanied by a mixture of trap beats, trip hop, metal and Hungarian folk. :tommy:

Thunder actually deserves a video and single treatment. Plus, people would stop saying she only releases ballads.

I’m glad the others aren’t reworked, they just need a proper mastering. Cherry Blossom is tremendously beautiful, so are Nectar and Living Legend.

I can’t believe Blue Banisters come out of nowhere after COCC to take NFR crown. What a moment.

I imagine that tracks 12-14 would have to be remastered in some way and I’m sure they are the master files from the studio sessions in 2013 — I doubt she would source those songs from where they leaked (as the quality usually isn’t the same as released songs). 

Cherry Blossom and Nectar of the Gods (if they are fundamentally the same as the leaked versions) definitely would have had to be remastered with the album’s newer songs. And I think it was confirmed that Living Legend was different in some ways (it wasn’t specified how, but I’m guessing it’s a different vocal take or treatment, slightly different production, and perhaps some lyrical adjustments).