palemoonbaby

Do you think Lana could happen if she debut with BTD now?

For me definitely yes. You Can Be The Boss could be lil viral hit. Diet Mountain Dew and Blue Jeans the same. I don't even mentioning National Anthem and Lolita.

She'd has huge successful era milking totally. Especially she'd have more creativy control cause she wouldn't causing controversies now and her label, team allowing more. We could get Cola as single with MV and many more things would happen than before.:defeated:

Ultraviolence another successful era. West Coast, Brooklyn Baby, Pretty When You Cry :defeated:

We could been more spoiled, more videos, more singles, more freedom, no discrimination, more critical acclaim

She could definitely happen if she debut with Born To Die in contemporary times. Interscope will be totally focused for many years on her.

If BTD was the exact same, I don’t think so. Occidental societies have taken a shift into cancel culture and she would be heavily criticized by woke culture for not being « feminist » enough, even though she is telling her own story and that chapter is one of 20 year-old young woman in the 2000s. 
i do wonder though what the musical scene would look like today if we never had Lana, especially on the alt-pop scene. 

12 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

If BTD was the exact same, I don’t think so. Occidental societies have taken a shift into cancel culture and she would be heavily criticized by woke culture for not being « feminist » enough, even though she is telling her own story and that chapter is one of 20 year-old young woman in the 2000s. 
i do wonder though what the musical scene would look like today if we never had Lana, especially on the alt-pop scene. 

Of course not the exact same. Changing lyrics and more contemporary hip-hop sound but also sounding fresh like nothing else in mainstream. Baroque influences will stay the same.

6 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

it would look a lot different. i think many people underestimate lana's impact on the music industry and pop culture in general but it actually goes further than they realize, even bigger pop acts have been influenced by her at some point (taylor and billie for example). Folklore and Evermore (two albums that are constantly praised by the gp) were born out of inspiration from lana's music, which was to be expected considering how vocal she was about being a fan of her music for the past couple of years. The romanticizing of alt concepts such as Lolita and daddies (which are becoming more pop than alt tbh) wouldn't be as severe either. not saying she invented these concepts but she definitely helped bring them to the mainstream scene. Oh and Halsey's career wouldn't exist. :hide: 

I'm not sure about BTD, but I think UV would do a lot better if she released it today. I think more people are into the slow tempo rock now than they were in 2014. 2014 was more about upbeat indie music with the sudden boom in using a ukulele for example. But then again, UV thrived on Tumblr culture which I believe furthered it's success, and Tumblr hasn't been the same in recent years so idk how that would play out but yeah. Regarding the 'controversial' lyrics, Lana would def get cancelled but I don't believe cancellation hinders an artist's success as many would lead you to believe

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

honestly i have no idea

she’d definitely be controversial in some cases 

summertime sadness mv? would probs be called a queer bait

lolita? glamourizing pedophilia in a sassy, cute, and sexy sounding song

(especially with me too and there being a more wide spread awareness that these kinds of relationships are abusive and unhealthy) 

*note; i dont think lana intends that of course but rather is identifying with lo (not going into that characters perspective) and having a thing with an older man- not humbert.  plus to me ive always seen the song from a males perspective hence why it sounds so teasing and fun and dangerous (similar to how lolita is written from humberts perspective and him being an unreliable narrator)  

also probs a shit ton of controversy surrounding cultural appropriation 

but i do think she’d be successful and would probably be considered like a “quirky” but deep artist

and would definitely bring in a younger generation of fans as well as adult fans 

(In other words a more varied fanbase than like billie or something ) 

i dont think she’d get some of the backlash she did back in the day which was just pure misogyny but she’d certainly be considered somewhat problematic 

but overall i think she’d have a much easier time being a female artist and expressing herself through her sexuality, relationships, and art than she did in 2012

anyway im having like a mega bad adhd hyperfixation moment so im probs thinking too much into this :silly:

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

Born To Die is a bit of a tossup. I think that the backlash it got then would've been elevated if it had come out now rather than 2012. People are a lot more, for lack of better word, on Lana's ass about certain lyrical topics. But at the same time, BTD felt ahead of it's time production wise, and I can see it doing really well on the charts if it were the album being released in 20 days and not Blue Banisters (this isn't me saying I don't think BB will be successful because I'm sure it will be lol)

imageproxy.jpg

this is quite dark but i think unfortunately the reality is that society is still quite uncomfortable with "middle-aged" women especially if they are outspoken about their hard-to-digest emotions/sexuality - i think BTD would actually be really received well if released today but only if released by like... an 18 year old 

mUENGN9.png

You guys are right. Album will be more well received.I think some lyrics would be changed now and Lana focusing more on sugar daddy and femme fatale concept. But some group people will still find something offending anyways. But I think it would be (positive) noise bout her and Lana being popular and likeable. 

just in terms of sound i do think it feel a little dated to it's release period (2012); i think she'd prob happen in a smaller way. but VG doesn't sound dated at all, so idk, maybe she'd still hit hard w that as a first single.

aOaIzH2.gif

Interesting question, I've wondered about this too and I'm not sure tbh. I think Lana did the right thing at the right time. Wasn't 2012 also the year of Electra Heart? That sort of aesthetic and lyrical style was just fashionable back then, though Lana was the one who made it fashionable in the first place in my opinion. Also, I think stylewise she had a huge impact. "Bee-stung" lips and long almond nude acrylic nails? Everybody kind of credits the Kardashians for that, especially Kylie but to me, Lana set these trends. Flower crowns, all of that. 2012 was just the time when people were interested in these things. I don't think you could pull that off in 2021.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

No, she couldn't get it away with in these days imo. Everything would be considered way too problematic and she'd get eaten alive. It's not that Lana couldn't happen right meow on her own terms if she started over, but more that society would never let her. 

Plus, remember how she was treated by the media/world in general after BTD, before she was considered cool by the public/outside of her fanbase - that was traumatic and she still brings that shit up today. So imagine if the backlash was 100x worse to begin with. At best, she wouldn't make music anymore after that rn.

8 minutes ago, WhiteHot4ever said:

More freedom in this times???  

Interscope would give her more freedom now. First two albums-she was limited. She wanted Cola as single but label said this is so controversial. Original UV video scrapped. This is what I meant.

Sound-wise it would still hold up for me, but maybe only half the album (which is still a success imo). BTD, Blue Jeans, SS, Carmen, TIWMUG would still attract me like a magnet. 

Lyric-wise, I don't think she would get called an anti-feminist tbh, because I think now there is more of an understanding that women can be anything they want, and it's more about supporting other woman than "being that woman". So I don't think her heavy love songs would get that much criticism besides people simply saying it's not their taste. 

I think the songs that would get the most criticism would be maybe Million Dollar Man because of the whole rich man thing, and OTTR for much the same reason plus romanticising a toxic life. Then of course National Anthem because no one proudly sings of that any more. And Lolita for obvious reasons. 

I think people would also have more of an issue with her style inspiration from the 50s and 60s, and many would call her ignorant for romanticising it and not talking about the sexism, racism, etc from back then. Stuff that might get her a few cancel parties but I think she'd have more fans to defend her these days too. 

So yeah I think she could "happen" but maybe with a smaller crowd than before. I dearly hope I'd still be in that crowd! Even though I do admit I'd have some issues and would maybe ignore half the BTD album.