palemoonbaby

Do you think Lana could happen if she debut with BTD now?

For me, it's the timing. B2D was what it was in its time, which paved the way for sad (sexy) femme artists. So I guess the question is more, would femme sad artist still be accepted at this time of it wasn't for Lana? 

it wouldn't be as successful if it was released today unfortunately. it was released at the right time, there was nothing else like it in pop music back in 2012, but it's important to note that music today would not sound the same if it hadn't been released. 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

They tried to take her out the first time via "authenticity", not anything about the inappropriateness of her lyrics. Lana's music was "dated" intentionally, in the same sense Amy Winehouse's Back to Black had dated her music, I.E.,  something like a "post-modern" attempt to re-introduce known singing and song styles. As the styles were basically known (although maybe not much by the critics), the only thing that really mattered for impact was just how good the songwriting/singing was (or if the styles had been forgotten, even better in terms of impact). In both Lana's and Amy's case, the songwriting was definitely good enough. As for the obsessive/submissive love themes in Lana's songs being tolerated today? These have never been uncommon, at any time in pop music's history, from either side of gender, so I don't think she set "feminism" back 100 years either then or now. Finally, BTD's chart "immortality" (now more a ghost, but it still appears every once in awhile) suggests a later advent for BTD would have had a similar effect. 

lana's music is so tied to that specific period that i don't think BTD would happen or even exist in the first place today

7 hours ago, slang said:

They tried to take her out the first time via "authenticity", not anything about the inappropriateness of her lyrics. Lana's music was "dated" intentionally, in the same sense Amy Winehouse's Back to Black had dated her music, I.E.,  something like a "post-modern" attempt to re-introduce known singing and song styles. As the styles were basically known (although maybe not much by the critics), the only thing that really mattered for impact was just how good the songwriting/singing was (or if the styles had been forgotten, even better in terms of impact). In both Lana's and Amy's case, the songwriting was definitely good enough. As for the obsessive/submissive love themes in Lana's songs being tolerated today? These have never been uncommon, at any time in pop music's history, from either side of gender, so I don't think she set "feminism" back 100 years either then or now. Finally, BTD's chart "immortality" (now more a ghost, but it still appears every once in awhile) suggests a later advent for BTD would have had a similar effect. 

lana's music was not dated... born to die specifically is just dream pop with trap beats 

8 hours ago, slang said:

so insightful! i agree with you (and want to follow u so bad but ur profile pic is keeping me away :xgiggle:)

mUENGN9.png

1 hour ago, Charlottexseax said:

lana's music is so tied to that specific period that i don't think BTD would happen or even exist in the first place today

lana's music was not dated... born to die specifically is just dream pop with trap beats 

By dated I meant reminiscent of the torch-singing era (Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holliday, Frank Sinatra). The production aspects are kind of dated (but still interesting). I may be wrong, but songs like Million Dollar Man and Without You seem pretty retro. They could have been hits in earlier eras. Without You, I think Gershwin would have been pleased to write (both of them). Her lyrics are not all that outrageous relative to past eras either (except maybe Cola, but even Cola has precursors and postcursors in our current era).

1 hour ago, Alison by Slowdive said:

so insightful! i agree with you (and want to follow u so bad but ur profile pic is keeping me away :xgiggle:)

Sorry. If you just think of me as an implacable alien cyclops, with an eye beneath its nose hole and big mouth going up the left side of its head -- using Lanaboards as a duckblind to study the best exemplars of human civilization, your anxieties should be lessened. And no need for a follow, I just post stuff occasionally to do my fair share of posting, and the avatar is very hard to miss anyway.

7 hours ago, slang said:

By dated I meant reminiscent of the torch-singing era (Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holliday, Frank Sinatra). The production aspects are kind of dated (but still interesting). I may be wrong, but songs like Million Dollar Man and Without You seem pretty retro. They could have been hits in earlier eras. Without You, I think Gershwin would have been pleased to write (both of them). Her lyrics are not all that outrageous relative to past eras either (except maybe Cola, but even Cola has precursors and postcursors in our current era).

Sorry. If you just think of me as an implacable alien cyclops, with an eye beneath its nose hole and big mouth going up the left side of its head -- using Lanaboards as a duckblind to study the best exemplars of human civilization, your anxieties should be lessened. And no need for a follow, I just post stuff occasionally to do my fair share of posting, and the avatar is very hard to miss anyway.

I mean those songs have a bunch of somewhat jazz chords and use a violin (only in MDM tho, Without You doesn’t use jazz chords) but it’s not like they sound like jazz standard songs (all the singers you mentioned sing jazz standards)

The drums are very different from jazz drums and the audio effects/trap beats are definitely new 

I think Lana sound sounds what people think jazz sounds like lol

Idk, bc without her, we'd be missing a lot of music and a lot of music would be very different. I think she'd do well enough but some of those old tracks wouldn't be able to be released today just bc of the lyrics, somebody would get offended and think they need to cancel her and whatnot

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

2 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

she couldn't happen today without herself to pave the way back in the day 

Had it not been for Lana, the so called 'sad girl' thing a lot of artists have been pushing post-2012 wouldn't have been a thing methinks.

10 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

she couldn't happen today without herself to pave the way back in the day 

Exactly! She'd have to pave the way for herself first. And that was only possible in 2011/12 because it was the right time for the specific BTD style. 

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible