longtimeman

Pitchfork Reviews Rescored (including Born To Die)

19 minutes ago, lemonadetan said:

maybe it was too ahead its time for certain people 

I don’t think it was « ahead of its time » but it sure was an iconic trendsetter: another way of viewing feminism, in being able to tell your story and how you are feeling, no matter how unpopular this might be with the times. I get the criticism she got with this album because it sure wasn’t what we were expecting from a woman to write. But after a few records, you get that BTD was a chapter in her life, when she was 20. So, no, you can’t expect her to be in full « feminist mode » (who can honestly say that their relationships in their 20s were all healthy? It comes with a better understanding of who you are as you get older, and nobody is there at 20), and nobody was getting how hyperbolic or cynical many lyrics are on BTD and UV (like on National Anthem and Money Power Glory). That being said, that critic was way too harsh. The reviews score of BTD is fair and should have been that from the start. 

3 hours ago, bluechemtrails said:

Anna Gaca ... wasn't there a controversy with her SPIN article?

this one quote answers so many things about lana now 

“I know that if I had more of a persona [before], I have less of one now. And I think it comes down to getting a little older. Maybe I needed a stronger look or something to lean on then. But I feel like it wouldn’t be hard for me today to play a mega show in jeans without rehearsing and still feel like I was coming from the right place.”

faSE.gif

Pitchfork changing their scores is so ugly to me imo. Like, stick with what you said and stay with it—dont switch up on it years later, especially for a prestigious company like pitchfork. If anything, it lets me know that they’re bullshit. They literally said “we were too scared to be original so we made this person’s career worse”. (i’m using hyperbole here because a pitchfork score doesnt really change much, but you know what i mean)

Although I’m happy they gave some albums the deserved scores (stories from the city, vroom vroom, born to die [although personally i think they kinda spilled with their original score for it]). But for Vroom Vroom being higher, i feel like they only gave that ep a higher score because sophie died. It’s like they said “nooo we need to maintain our image, lets retract what we said!”

As it should be! That original score was abysmal. I don’t give a fuck how the album has dated, every album dates, BTD was a full fucking MOMENT the year it came out and the original Pitchfork review fell victim to all the idiotic unfair PERSONAL criticisms Lana was under at the time. 

As for this forum and it’s relationship with BTD, you all disgust me and the lack of love and recognition the album gets on here is shameful. While i can understand that it may not be everyones favourite album 10 years on, it goes without saying that she has and never will have an era that is so perfectly executed in single choices, videos, photoshoots, and pop culture influence. Throw in Paradise edition, the Ride video, Young and Beautiful and Tropico and you have a complete start and finish to a launch era that remains unmatched by her. Absolute career/debut perfection. I adore it and you can all burn in hell. Thank you.

Vak7UDkcMJ62ZPwS9HVRIItMuuLsjWe_o14GU52n

Halsey and Lorde and Billie Eilish would never have been as successful without Born to Die, not to mention lots of individual songs from other artists that borrow Lana’s style. BTD defined a decade in pop music.

They need to put BTD score to 10. That album is iconic and opened the doors to a lot of these artists today. Any other score is unacceptable.

Without BTD, none of us would be here because we sure as hell didn't get into Lana with May Jailor Siren's or the Lizzy Grant album. It was all BTD.

33 minutes ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

They need to put BTD score to 10. That album is iconic and opened the doors to a lot of these artists today. Any other score is unacceptable.

Without BTD, none of us would be here because we sure as hell didn't get into Lana with May Jailor Siren's or the Lizzy Grant album. It was all BTD.

hey now, there HAVE to have been people introduced to Lana via the Lizzy Grant album. she DID sell it outside of a show once

giphy.gif