Sign in to follow this  
jvcx

Dune (2021)

dune-logo.png

A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, Dune (titled onscreen as Dune: Part One) tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet’s exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence — a commodity capable of unlocking humanity’s greatest potential — only those who can conquer their fear will survive. 

The epic-science fiction film based on the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert is directed by Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Villeneuve, and Eric Roth. The film stars an ensemble cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, and Javier Bardem.

Dune has been long considered impossible to bring on screen with attempts to adapt the novel beginning in the 70s. The first attempt was the 1984 film directed by David Lynch, which was a box-office bomb and received negative reviews for its screenwriting, lack of faithfulness to its source material, pacing, direction and editing. Even Lynch himself disowned the final film upon its release and in some cuts of the film, his name is replaced in the credits with a pseudonym used by directors who wish not to be associated with a film for which they would normally be credited. The film has developed a cult following over time, but opinion varies among fans of the novel and fans of Lynch's films. 

Legendary Entertainment acquired the film and TV rights for Dune in 2016 and Denis Villeneuve was attached to direct shortly after, saying that "a longstanding dream of mine is to adapt Dune". Principal photography for the film began in March 2019.

A sequel has not yet been green-lit as it will depend on the overall success of the film which has now passed over $100 million around the world against the budget of $165 million. The film is yet to be released in big markets like China and the US, in which it will be released in theaters and HBO Max on October 22. It's been confirmed by Villeneuve that writing on the sequel has begun with him planning a trilogy, the third film being based on the 1969 novel Dune Messiah. A sequel will be green-lit as long as the film performs well on HBO Max. A spin-off television series Dune: The Sisterhood is also in the works for HBO Max, which serves as a prequel to the film and will focus on the sisterhood of the Bene Gesserit. Denis Villeneuve will direct the pilot.

dunesketchbook.png

dunescore.png

The score of Dune is composed by Hans Zimmer who turned down Christopher Nolan's TENET for the film, stating that he had always dreamed of a chance to score one of his childhood favorite novels. In fact Zimmer has composed three albums for the film:
- The Dune Sketchbook (Music from the Soundtrack)

“Comprised of extended, immersive musical explorations of the Dune film score.” Available in Standard and Dolby Atmos Music configurations. The album is Zimmer’s first soundtrack released in Dolby Atmos Music. Out now.

Dune (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Features “the iconic composer’s Dune film score.” Also available in both Standard and Dolby Atmos Music configurations. Out now.

The Art and Soul of Dune
“The companion soundtrack to the book of the same title” offers uniquely crafted versions of the film’s main themes. Zimmer curates them to accompany the reader on their journey through a visually dazzling book written by the film’s executive producer Tanya Lapointe. The book offers unparalleled insight and exploration into the film. Both the book and album will be released on Oct 22.

==

Anyone else here that has seen the film or is looking forward to it? I've admired Denis for several years bc especially Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 are some of my favorite films ever and he's just absolutely phenomenal. I have to admit I wasn't aware of the Dune franchise before the first trailers were released (I decided to embed only the first one here bc I think it's better than the official one and has less spoilers), but I decided to read the novel just a week before seeing the film and I'm not much of a reader but it was so good. Like I was already hyped for the film bc of Denis and the great cast but reading the book just raised my expectations even higher, I finished it just a couple of days before seeing the film in IMAX. 

I'm trying to keep this short but holy shit, I've been obsessed with films (ehm, mother! and the 2018 Suspiria) before but never in these proportions. The original novel is brilliant and Denis managed to bring its world and characters to life so well it's breathtaking, especially Rebecca, Oscar and Timothée had such great performances as Lady Jessica, Leto and Paul. I think the film succeeds in being faithful to its source material despite having left out some of the dialogue and minor details. Overall I've seen the film four times in the theaters which is definitely a personal record of mine and I also have the 4K Blu-ray + Blu-ray steelbook preordered. Also both of the Hans Zimmer scores are hauntingly good, I keep listening to them all the time and I ordered them both on CD just yesterday. I also can't wait for the Art and Soul of Dune book and its accompanying score :defeated: I'm also planning to buy the funko pops and a shirt but I have to calm down a bit so I won't go completely broke :krylie:

TIMMY IS MY BOI, I am so hyped for this movie. Sadly it doesn't come out until like December in Australia

I'm hoping they release a vinyl for Zimmer's score because that man is a god and I would die in a heartbeat

I do keep seeing reviews of people saying the ending has a lot to be desired, like they're building up for a part 2 (even Timmy has mentioned it I think) so I'm already praying they get the opportunity to make it. It looks epic, it looks beautiful, I'm so FUCKING READY

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

3 minutes ago, yayoop said:

I do keep seeing reviews of people saying the ending has a lot to be desired, like they're building up for a part 2 (even Timmy has mentioned it I think) so I'm already praying they get the opportunity to make it. It looks epic, it looks beautiful, I'm so FUCKING READY

Yup, the film basically covers only the first half of the book so the possible sequel(s) have a lot to uncover. See it on the biggest screen possible if you get the chance once it's released in Australia, it's definitely a film to be experienced. Like I've already seen it four times but I'm only craving for more :lange:

17 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Wait, so this is partially available already? One of my friends mentioned wanting to see it.

Exactly, it was released in most European and some Asian countries halfway through September. Official release date in the US is on Oct 22.

1 hour ago, jvcx said:

Yup, the film basically covers only the first half of the book so the possible sequel(s) have a lot to uncover. See it on the biggest screen possible if you get the chance once it's released in Australia, it's definitely a film to be experienced. Like I've already seen it four times but I'm only craving for more :lange:

I feel better knowing that going into it tbh, I have an idea of what to expect. I am 100% going to wait to see it properly in cinema, I am so excited. I'm gonna shit my pants

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />