Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

18 minutes ago, Vanilla Icy said:

i think so too. on her ig live she mentions the pattern of fragility running through her lineage and that she hasn’t been able to write as autobiographically as she’d like to because there’s a lot to unpack within her family tree.

the album is quite literally her text book, her history, searching for that connection with her father and finding matriarchal security in her “sisters” that wasn’t present with her own mother. she’s revealed a lot on this album, and when i listen to it i feel like she’s speaking directly to the listener letting us know exactly why she’s the way she is.

Has anyone looked into Lana’s geneology and seen if perhaps she’s a descendent of Ulysses Grant? He was the last US President to own slaves and known for his involvement in the Civil War

42 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

In regards to what the 'one word' is, Lana said it was one that affected the rest of the album. I immediately thought it was "mother" (which she says on BBS).

The matriarchal theme has never been a present theme on any album of Lana's before, yet it underlies and informs many of the experiences she sings about on this record. Our familial upbringing – particularly our relationships with our parents – undoubtedly has the most impact on the way we move through the world. :poordat:

or "mommy" in cherry blossom. Right after the comment, she sang the song.

Being in a middle of a moving on process from a break up I had five months ago, this album was definitely a need. There was a lot of break up references especially Thunder which is my favorite song in the album. I cried when I first listened to it.

yyxy | youth youth by young | yyxy

1 hour ago, IanadeIrey said:

In regards to what the 'one word' is, Lana said it was one that affected the rest of the album. I immediately thought it was "mother" (which she says on BBS).

The matriarchal theme has never been a present theme on any album of Lana's before, yet it underlies and informs many of the experiences she sings about on this record. Our familial upbringing – particularly our relationships with our parents – undoubtedly has the most impact on the way we move through the world. :poordat:

My exact thought. As soon as she said there's this one word and didn't specify which one I immediately thought about her mom. And Lana was really sad in that particular moment. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Gothicula said:

according to apple music, i’ve already listened  to bb more than cocc..😭😭

Yeah I hope this doesn't sound too dark, but it wasn't until BB that I realized how far CoCC is behind it :pls: Or like, a more positive sunshine sparkle way of saying that is, BB is just, really smthn else :flutter: There!

I just watched her Instagram live and I must say that it makes me so happy to see how proud she is of this record! Last time she felt so close to an album was with NFR, she seemed to love some of the tracks to death, and I get the same impression with BB <3

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

2 hours ago, Taylor Secman said:

anyone have any theories?

I agree with Lineage or even Lithium. 

I think it’s probably Lineage but I actually think Lithium could be interesting as it’s a mood stabilizer.

I think there was an absolute shift in her writing around the time she started discussing Violet Bent Backwards and she’s heavily implied there was a hospital stay around then, and “With Lithium came poetry”,  that time seemed to mark her writing becoming a lot more inward (at some points a little navel gazing but that’s just me) and self searching. A lot less focused on outside recognition and if I’m honest, men. It started to regularly reference women and then motherhood which was never a point of focus in her work before, aside for a few mentions of ‘girls’. There was also, in my eyes anyway, perhaps not a ‘peace’ in her work but an acceptance of her current reality and an enjoying of it which wasn’t there before. 

As someone on lithium for bipolar disorder, the meds and the diagnosis completely changed my life. Just my two cents on it.

I have gold in my veins