Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

17 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

I THINK I'M A DEALER STAN NOW :lange: :lange: :lange:

I GET LOST IN THE ETHER

Hillary Duff Dancing GIF - Hillary Duff Dancing Dance - Discover & Share  GIFs

I GAVE YOU ALL MY MONEY, GAVE YOU ALL MY MONEY, GAVE YOU ALL MY MONEY, GAVE YOU ALL MY MONEY...

giphy.gif

I DON'T WANNA LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVEE

I DON'T WANNA GIVE YOU NOOOOOOTTTTHIIINGG

CXKVVUK.gif

WHY CAN'T YOU BE GOOD FOR SOMETHING?

NOT ONE SHIRT OFF YOUR BACK

mbWIpuR.gif

ALL CIRCUITS ARE BUSY, GOODBYE

ALL CIRCUITS ARE BUSY, YOU'RE HIGH

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

now you've got a busy dope

:hottie:

10 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

VfR literally one of the best songs on BB but i guess not everyone can have good taste its okay :sluttybunny:

The lyrics on VFR are some the best but I am also someone who would rank it low on my BB faves (although I do like it and it’s growing on me daily) - but only because I love her soaring, complex melodies and this is one that doesn’t dance across the keys as much, the melody is more constant across a few notes at the chorus. I would bet the people who rank it low feel somewhat similar—my theory is:

if you would rank songs like Guns and Roses and Black Beauty (similar stagnant melody structure) lower, you would probably not pick VFR as a favorite either—same for vice versa, if you enjoy those a lot you’d love VFR…

anyone agree? :um2:

giphy.gif

Not that anyone particularly cares but here's my review of the album.

After multiple unsuccessful attempts of finding the album in good quality when it leaked, I interpreted my lack of luck as a sign; I had to wait until yesterday. I did listened to a couple of tracks, though.

The record:
The album is stunning. I don't think it's fair to compare it to 'Chemtrails Over the Country Club', because notwithstanding the sonic similarities they're two different records. Having said that, and speaking from my personal perspective and taste, I personally prefer it mainly because 'Chemtrails' felt a little too much like an afterthought of 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!'. Lana knew 'Norman' was adored, so she naturally played safer by staying close to the sound.

With 'Blue Banisters' I feel like she's daring to be more visceral, rawer and weirder, as she naturally is. If you look at the lyrics you can see how her poetry has influenced her writing process, some songs are straight up 'stream of consciousness', even 'free verse'-like (like the title track, 'Wildflower Wildfire' and 'Black Bathing Suit'). I'm absolutely here for it.

The sound:

Now that Jack is gone it's pretty clear that Lana is the one whose vision involves a minimalistic aproach when it comes to the music, and we should get used to it. She's in a quieter headspace than when she was younger and that's part of growing up.

She's less ambitious than who she was in the 'Born to Die' era, she feels more at peace than the chaos she felt during 'Ultraviolence', and she doesn't really care about playing it safe and try to cater to broader audiences. She'll probably never ditch the piano ballads as long as the outer sound is reflecting her inner vision.

The crew:
Drew Erickson, Zach Dawes et al are such a breath of fresh air. They brought a spark of new life to the Lana soundscape that was needed. I'm praying they're here to stay. I'm very familiar with Drew's previous work since he's a professionally trained arranger and composer. He's more of a Dan Heath's classically trained maestro than a one-trick-pony Jack Antonoff. The guy is amazing, and so is Zachary.

1 minute ago, yourolllikethunder said:

The lyrics on VFR are some the best but I am also someone who would rank it low on my BB faves (although I do like it and it’s growing on me daily) - but only because I love her soaring, complex melodies and this is one that doesn’t dance across the keys as much, the melody is more constant across a few notes at the chorus. I would bet the people who rank it low feel somewhat similar—my theory is…

if you would rank songs like Guns and Roses  and Black Beauty lower, you would probably not pick VFR as a favorite either

Guns & Roses literally one of my favorite Lana songs

plant.jpg

image.png

2 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

The lyrics on VFR are some the best but I am also someone who would rank it low on my BB faves (although I do like it and it’s growing on me daily) - but only because I love her soaring, complex melodies and this is one that doesn’t dance across the keys as much, the melody is more constant across a few notes at the chorus. I would bet the people who rank it low feel somewhat similar—my theory is:

if you would rank songs like Guns and Roses and Black Beauty (similar stagnant melody structure) lower, you would probably not pick VFR as a favorite either—same for vice versa, if you enjoy those a lot you’d love VFR…

I love Black Beauty and HATE Guns and Roses. I don’t hate VfR but don’t care for it either.

Reacting to Lana BEFORE Billie. YES queen Ajayii.

I know i stan her for a reason. Happy season of the witch, bitch.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

I want to do the zodiac signs as BB songs like I did for COCC but I’m terrified this time because the stakes are much higher when everyone loves so many songs 🙃 or maybe lower?? I feel more pressure but if nearly every song is beloved people would be happy no matter what I choose haha

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, americangothic said:

The sound:

Now that Jack is gone it's pretty clear that Lana is the one whose vision involves a minimalistic aproach when it comes to the music, and we should get used to it. She's in a quieter headspace than when she was younger and that's part of growing up.

She's less ambitious than who she was in the 'Born to Die' era, she feels more at peace than the chaos she felt during 'Ultraviolence', and she doesn't really care about playing it safe and try to cater to broader audiences. She'll probably never ditch de piano ballads as long as the outer sound is reflecting her inner vision.

No.

If she keeps going into that direction with every song being forgettable I will just stop caring for her in general honestly. I will not and have never been the type of fan that will force himself to like anything because it’s an album/song by my fave artist. I think that is a very shitty approach. After all, we are the ones that pay for her music. If she doesn’t feel like putting effort into her music, I will not feel like putting money in her pocket. It’s as simple as that.

1 minute ago, The Love Witch said:

No.

If she keeps going into that direction with every song being forgettable I will just stop caring for her in general honestly. I will not and have never been the type of fan that will force himself to like anything because it’s an album/song by my fave artist. I think that is a very shitty approach. After all, we are the ones that pay for her music. If she doesn’t feel like putting effort into her music, I will not feel like putting money in her pocket. It’s as simple as that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm talking about Lana's desire to pursue her vision, not saying people should force to like whatever she does, because that's being biased. 

After sitting with it for a bit, VFR and Beautiful are both top tier (especially the orchestral version of the latter).

Thunder slaps but doesn't vibe with the album as a whole. It should have been cut and leaked later. :true: