Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

1 minute ago, CmonDownToFL said:

This is some of the spookiest shite I have ever read. Happy halloween to all :oprah2:

Ha-ha. My friends are pretty disappointed too. And it looks like the videos are generating hardly any views. 

I'm glad you like it, but I don't think this album will be remembered as one of her best by the world at large either...

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:

Imagine relegating this to piano-ballad when there’s BBS, Text Book, IYLDWM, Dealer, WW, NOTG… :eek2:

And what is WW if not a piano ballad? Do you think it's not because there's 30 secs of a crunching beat added? The song is a piano ballad through and through.

43 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

so did fantano already listen to the album? i though he was going to react to it in his livestream this friday smh

Not yet, it's pretty annoying given that the album leaked like 10 days ago. 

I think he's going to give it a 6.5 or a 7.

Beautiful is a cute song but definitely the weakest in the album and possibly the only skip for me. I don't hate it like some do but it is the least interesting to look at :creep3:

Also if we didn't have WFWF, TB & BB 15 months early, think of how nice of a surprise those tracks would've been if heard together with the rest of the album for the first time :true:

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

also blue banisters has some of the most experimental shit lana has EVER made. if anything i think COCC is her "least-adventurous" record to date because it follows a similar sound too her previous but even then it's still different

20 minutes ago, barttttender said:

So, now that I've given this a proper listen, I'm sad to report it's one of my least fav LDR records. :( There are no great songs or bops (at least Chemtrails had White Dress and Honeymoon had High By the Beach), and this is sonically her least adventurous record to date.

Like, Ultraviolence was rock-ish, Norman was surf-ish, Born to Die was pop-ish, Honeymoon - jazzy, Lust for Life - hip-hop-ish, and will someone tell me what Blue Banisters was supposed to be? Piano-ish?

I feel like this album is directionless and encapsulates all of Lana's recent bad tendencies: from recording vocals in one take, to lazy and unadventurous production, to recycling her old songs. Frankly, I wish she'd just called a spade and spade and called it LDR: Unreleased, or LDR: B-sides.

The closest she got to having a direction with this record was the confessional poetry style ala Anne Sexton or Fank O'Hara that you find in Blue Banisters, Text Book, Wildfire, Black Bathing Suit, and Sweet Carolina.

But then the rest of the songs don't fit with that concept at all, especially Dealer or The Trio, or the super conventional verse-chorus Violets for Roses, Thunder or Beautiful. It's a mess. 

Track ranking:

8/10

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

7/10

Wildfire Wildfire

Blue Banisters

Beautiful

6/10

Text Book

Dealer

Arcadia

5/10

Violets for Roses

Sweet Carolina

4/10

Interlude/The Trio

Living Legend

3/10

Cherry Blossom (the new "production" ruined it)

2/10

Nectar of the Gods (ugh, her most boring track to date?)

Album rating:

6/10

Album ranking:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell! 10/10

2. Ultraviolence 8/10 (too frontloaded, needed more meat in the second half)

3. Born to Die 7.5/10 (disappointing album on the whole, but many of her best cuts ever are on it so it's undeniably inspired)

4. Lust for Life 7/.5/10 

5. Chemtrails Over the Country Club 7.10

6. Paradise 6.9/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

9. Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass 5/10

10. Lana Del Rey (never listen to this) 4/10

I really hope she takes a break and goes in a new direction next time. NO MORE PIANO BALLADS, PLEASE. I need the epicness of tracks like Ride, Young & Beautiful, West Coast, The Greatest, etc. 

This is just ... weird

FzytWEW.png

1 hour ago, May said:

if this goes over 1m daily streams this will end up being the signature song from the era, like how Doin Time was NFR’s . her management needs to get a video out for it ASAP . in fact 2 videos ! get her to do a cute lil homemade one quickly and then have a high budget one being worked on while the homemade does it’s thing

I'm sure Interscope is already trying to convince her but I don't think she cares :icant: but she seems to really like Dealer so maybe we have a chance 

giphy.gif

Lana after yelping and screaming on Dealer & someone calls this her least experimental: :creep3:

I mean if you don't like BB that's your opinion but the title of least experimental belongs to NFR if anything. It's a great album but it sticks to a simple formula which makes it objectively a good album thus also making it the least experimental (excluding Venice Queen ofc)  :true:

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

I don't really take the opinions of people who have body shamed Lana into account, regardless of what it is, so....:eek:

Anyways! Good morning :yesnod: Dealer is continuing to rise on Spotify and Apple Music charts so yay Dealer! 

imageproxy.jpg

Thought I’d do a short review and brief opinion about each song.

1. Textbook - 7.0 (it’s a bit all over the place in terms of structure and lyrics)

2. Blue Banisters. - 7.5 (A solid title track but drags in parts) 
3. Arcadia 7.5 (beautiful song, but another piano ballad we didn’t really need)
4. Interlude - The Trio 7.5 ( just so random but I love it makes you shake your ass)
5. Black Bathing Suit 9 (An epic song, definitely should have more like this on the record)
6. If You Lie Down With Me - 7.0 (Catchy but a little repetitive, love the outro trumpets)
7. Beautiful - 8.0 (I just love the lyric’s in this one simple but meaningful)
8. Violets for Roses 8.5 (this feels like a classic Lana song, like BBS we needed more of this)
9. Dealer - 8 ( For me Lana killed it here with Miles they work so well together)
10. Thunder -9 ( This reminds of Ultraviolence a little and I adore it)
11. Wildflower Wildfire -9.5 (HOT FIRE HOT WEATHER HOT COFFEE-…what else can I say) 
12. Nectar of the Gods -7 (repetitive & generic on the chorus but it can get stuck in your head)
13. Living Legend -6 (Never really likes this song it drags, but it’s ok)
14. Cherry Blossom - 5.5  (horrible boring production compared to YT versions)

15. Sweet Carolina - 6.5 (cringe inducing lyrics about iPhones and crypto but emotional)

Overall it’s an 8 out of 10, It’s definitely an album I’m enjoying, but it was never the direction I wanted her to go in and I’m a bit fed up of piano ballads as I’ve said 1000 times already. I don’t know how anyone could call this album a ‘masterpiece’ as it has glaring flaws but I respect this opinion.  Living legend and Cherry blossom should never have been added to the record they don’t really add anything. 

I’d have preferred she did something with more energy ‘Rock Candy Sweet’ grabbed my attention.  A psychedelic alt rock album with lots of songs like Dealer and Thunder is really what I’d love..an Ultraviolence inspired album. But Blue Banisters still fits well in her discography and it’s better than COCC in my opinion.  I just hope on the next record she makes a change in direction and I’m sure it will pay off. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

1 minute ago, Moon River said:

😐 I don't hate it but it's very run of the mill for Lana. To be fair, Beautiful is veering into that same territory but it's a far better song in my opinion.

No hard feelings, it’s just that I honestly love LMLYLAW and since everyone seems to hate her I feel like I have to protect her like a little child :poordat::toofloppy:

:flutter:

46 minutes ago, barttttender said:

So, now that I've given this a proper listen, I'm sad to report it's one of my least fav LDR records. :( There are no great songs or bops (at least Chemtrails had White Dress and Honeymoon had High By the Beach), and this is sonically her least adventurous record to date.

Like, Ultraviolence was rock-ish, Norman was surf-ish, Born to Die was pop-ish, Honeymoon - jazzy, Lust for Life - hip-hop-ish, and will someone tell me what Blue Banisters was supposed to be? Piano-ish?

I feel like this album is directionless and encapsulates all of Lana's recent bad tendencies: from recording vocals in one take, to lazy and unadventurous production, to recycling her old songs. Frankly, I wish she'd just called a spade and spade and called it LDR: Unreleased, or LDR: B-sides.

The closest she got to having a direction with this record was the confessional poetry style ala Anne Sexton or Fank O'Hara that you find in Blue Banisters, Text Book, Wildfire, Black Bathing Suit, and Sweet Carolina.

But then the rest of the songs don't fit with that concept at all, especially Dealer or The Trio, or the super conventional verse-chorus Violets for Roses, Thunder or Beautiful. It's a mess. 

Track ranking:

8/10

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

7/10

Wildfire Wildfire

Blue Banisters

Beautiful

6/10

Text Book

Dealer

Arcadia

5/10

Violets for Roses

Sweet Carolina

4/10

Interlude/The Trio

Living Legend

3/10

Cherry Blossom (the new "production" ruined it)

2/10

Nectar of the Gods (ugh, her most boring track to date?)

Album rating:

6/10

Album ranking:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell! 10/10

2. Ultraviolence 8/10 (too frontloaded, needed more meat in the second half)

3. Born to Die 7.5/10 (disappointing album on the whole, but many of her best cuts ever are on it so it's undeniably inspired)

4. Lust for Life 7/.5/10 

5. Chemtrails Over the Country Club 7.10

6. Paradise 6.9/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

9. Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass 5/10

10. Lana Del Rey (never listen to this) 4/10

I really hope she takes a break and goes in a new direction next time. NO MORE PIANO BALLADS, PLEASE. I need the epicness of tracks like Ride, Young & Beautiful, West Coast, The Greatest, etc. 

I don’t agree with everything you’ve said but it’s refreshing to see a fearless review that isn’t a 9-10 calling it the greatest album of all time. I think it’s a fan bias to want to score your faves music so highly every single time. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

i think the truth is that lana doesn't need to make every single song on an album a bop. when we think about a lot of the things she's said about herself being vulnerable and being soft, i think we should remember that these things will also reflect sonically. it will always be a mix of experimental, intriguing compositions along with her classic soft ballads. This combination of sounds is the formula for Lana Del Rey, it's a part of her.

we can go on and on about how a piano ballad could be more and how it could sound better but that isn't the point of those songs. I think artistically there should be a balance, sort of like a cold beverage with your meal or a smoke break during a long shift, a palate cleanser if you will. 

faSE.gif

Likely scenarios if Dealer becomes a hit.

• Cedric Gervais will remix Dealer and he wins a Grammy instead of Lana.
  • Someone on YouTube will make a "Slowed and Reverb" version of it. 
  • TikTokers will make a Cupcakke remix. (The lyrics will be "I don't wanna cum" instead) 
  • Lana will ignore the song, not make it a single and never sing it live because she's quirky like that.

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: