Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

12 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

All of the songs that he listed are some of the brilliant songs that got us into loving Lana in the first place, none of the songs on Blue Banisters are what make us fans of her, anyone who’s listening to Blue Banisters was already a fan previously which of course is only because its a couple days old but highly doubt any new listeners who will be listening to Lana for the first time with Blue Banisters will be revisiting her discography

the album is absolutely not cohesive, its a collection of songs and its very obvious with a couple of songs that they were recorded at very different times than the rest of the record

First of all, don't speak for all of us. None of the songs listed are what even got me into lana, it was actually her very early unreleased music and some of her Lizzy Grant work. The music on Blue Banisters is what makes us her fans, because it's her music. You're allowed to have your opinion, but don't project that onto us and group us together. A lot of us really fucking love the album. Sonically, vocally, lyrically it is some of her best work ever.

What you're saying about her earlier music, i.e. Born To die or UV or HM and how it's "cohesive" or "not a collection of songs" is absolutely incorrect. There are songs on Born To Die and all of those albums that were never made for those albums, therefor making them a collection of songs. So whatever point you're trying to get at is inconsistent and contradictive. Leave us alone, let us enjoy the music. And if you don't like it, say so but don't put words in our mouths. 

faSE.gif

42 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Haha. Glad you agree the reviews are ott.

In my opinion, those who rate this album super high aren't really true fans. Because they would know that songs on this record are a far cry from tracks like Ride, Blue Jeans, West Coast, Young & Beautiful, Venice Bitch, White Dress etc. on almost every level.

A few years down the line, no one will remember any of the tracks off it, the public will have ignored it in its entirety, and it will end up amongst her lowest ranked on Spotify and other streaming platforms, right alongside Honeymoon and Chemtrails.

The fuck is this? Did this album hurt you? This isn't an opinion it's a generalization that you cannot prove or assume and is cynical as all hell. Sorry not sorry this album didn't deliver for you,  but speak for yourself cus this isn't even a hot take, it's just stupid.

1 hour ago, CmonDownToFL said:

question for the culture: do u all really give half a shit about what youtube reviewers or critics say???  :oprah3:

so funny to me, that whenever lana or any artist gets a negative review / is left without a grammy nomination / etc., some fans are in their feelings, calling the reviewers uncultured and tasteless, or are even attacking them. or rambling about how every award show or reviewer or magazine is biased and pointless and rigged and Lana is better off without them or whatever... but still there are stans talking about how she or her album needs a better score and needs to make it to top ten, and when there are better reviews, nominations, awards or commerical success, the people again, start to act like the validation matters :tsk:

for example: 

no Grammy nomination for Lana: fucking tasteless old cunts it's all about popularity and sales these days Grammys don't even matter anymore who cares Lana doesn't need them

a Grammy nomination for Lana: wow a nomination omg taste the Grammys acknowledged her she deserves the recognition she better win or else 

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

17 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

All of the songs that he listed are some of the brilliant songs that got us into loving Lana in the first place, none of the songs on Blue Banisters are what make us fans of her, anyone who’s listening to Blue Banisters was already a fan previously which of course is only because its a couple days old but highly doubt any new listeners who will be listening to Lana for the first time with Blue Banisters will be revisiting her discography

the album is absolutely not cohesive, its a collection of songs and its very obvious with a couple of songs that they were recorded at very different times than the rest of the record

That's your opinion but I don't agree. If you don't want to take time with the album to understand the story she's telling that's your choice, but don't tell the rest of us that we're wrong for feeling how we feel. I repeat, this is a cohesive and complex album in my opinion, and your opinion doesn't change that. 

I also don't think Lana's making albums for new fans at this point. Lana is the kind of artist that just gets better and better as you listen to her entire output and analyze the development in her themes and sounds. She is very much a storyteller who builds upon all of her previous work, so who cares if Blue Banisters isn't going to make someone revisit her discography if they don't already listen to her, although I don't actually agree with you here as there are plenty of great songs on the album that will make people curious about the rest of her music.

I see the "real fan" dilemma muted from "I'm better cause I don't listen to unreleased" to "I'm better cause I dislike an entire album" :eartha2: 

Some of y'all are nuts, really.

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Also: is an album not just a literal collection of songs? :thumb3: What the hell else is it supposed to be? Like, yeah, albums can be cohesive, but at the end of the day it is quite literally a collection of songs 

imageproxy.jpg

Friendly reminder that it doesn’t matter what kind of music you want Lana to make because there is only one Lana Del Rey and she’s gonna do what she’s gonna do. It’s fine to hate the new album, but just remind yourself that Lana is only going to get older, softer, and more experimental from here on out.

If listening to only Born to Die and Ultraviolence is what’s going to make you happy, do that, but don’t demand that she write something different from what she’s going to write. Your demands will fall on deaf ears, and you’re setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment.

Is it the end of the world? You won't believe this but Sputnik just posted their 4/5 review for the album.

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/83975/Lana-Del-Rey-Blue-Banisters/

:pussypower:

EDIT: It's a user's review; apparently there won't be any staff coverage so they will get it featured as their review. 

It’s just so mind boggling to me that someone could still be so attached to Born To Die for whatever reasons and still expect a recycling of that sound and aesthetic 10 years down the road of an artist who is well known for completely changing her sound from album to album. Even Norman and Chemtrails (which many cite as similar) had crucial differences between them (the former being a harrowing, dazzling surf rock look at a dying America/falling culture, the latter being a quite more introspective, neo-folk incursion into a desire in escaping to a simpler reality, where fame doesn’t exist).

Over the course of 10 years and 8 albums, Lana has given us an all-changing variety of soundscapes and concepts, always evolving and maturing as a singer and songwriter. To ask  or expect her to return to previous eras and/or sonorities is completely negating and ignoring how much her writing, singing, producing and melody arranging has changed throughout the years. She’s not the same person as she was in 2011 - and she has explicitly affirmed she has no intention to.

It’s absolutely fine to not love or support this album. Like, whatever. I myself dislike Arcadia and most of the fandom seems to love it - different opinions are bound to happen within any given fandom or corner of art criticism and consumption. Just don’t put your views and perspectives on a pedestal to the point of becoming condescending and pretentious. They’re absolutely useless and detrimental to the healthy and constructive conversations that can be born from our differences. We’re not 13 anymore, fucking hell.

IMG-7960.jpg

21 minutes ago, your dealer said:

First of all, don't speak for all of us. None of the songs listed are what even got me into lana, it was actually her very early unreleased music and some of her Lizzy Grant work. The music on Blue Banisters is what makes us her fans, because it's her music. You're allowed to have your opinion, but don't project that onto us and group us together. A lot of us really fucking love the album. Sonically, vocally, lyrically it is some of her best work ever.

What you're saying about her earlier music, i.e. Born To die or UV or HM and how it's "cohesive" or "not a collection of songs" is absolutely incorrect. There are songs on Born To Die and all of those albums that were never made for those albums, therefor making them a collection of songs. So whatever point you're trying to get at is inconsistent and contradictive. Leave us alone, let us enjoy the music. And if you don't like it, say so but don't put words in our mouths. 

Where did I say that her those albums were cohesive, I said that THIS album is not cohesive, unless your definition of cohesive is different than the dictionary one that I go by, then how can you can consider Thunder and Dealer being on the same album as Arcadia and Sweet Caroline cohesive??? Its obvious they were recorded at different times because they were, not only sonically but lyrically cherry blossom, living legend and necter of the gods are thematically entirely different than the rest of the record???

Also improve your reading comprehension skills, I was merely making the point that NEW listeners which doesnt include you would PROBABLY not DEFINITELY, not be revisiting Lana’s discography if the first they’ve ever heard of her was this album

This album relies HEAVILY on already being familiar with Lana “by the way thanks for the hate I’ll pray for ya”, the references to her daddy issues etc, and these references would go over peoples head if they weren’t already a listener

5 minutes ago, BlueGreenGray said:

Is it the end of the world? You won't believe this but Sputnik just posted their 4/5 review for the album.

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/83975/Lana-Del-Rey-Blue-Banisters/

:pussypower:

wait, WHAT? :wowcry:

nvm, mess

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.