Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

4 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

Where did I say that her those albums were cohesive, I said that THIS album is not cohesive, unless your definition of cohesive is different than the dictionary one that I go by, then how can you can consider Thunder and Dealer being on the same album as Arcadia and Sweet Caroline cohesive??? Its obvious they were recorded at different times because they were, not only sonically by lyrically cherry blossom, living legend and necter of the gods are thematically entirely different than the rest of the record???

Also improve your reading comprehension skills, I was saying merely making the point that NEW listeners which doesnt include you would PROBABLY not DEFINITELY won’t be revisiting Lana’s discography if the first they’ve ever heard of her was this album

This album relies HEAVILY on already being familiar with Lana “by the way thanks for the hate I’ll pray for ya”, the references to her daddy issues etc, and these references would go over peoples head if they weren’t already a listener

I mean what you said here was true...

12 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

It has to be marked as “STAFF” to count I think

Yeah I don't know if it's going to be counted on MC but a staff member just posted this:

Yeah I'm sure we'll get this featured soon. I don't believe there will end up being staff coverage.

So I guess if Sputnik gets it featured it might count as a MC-approved review? Anyway, in case there won't be any staff coverage, we will avoid the panic attacks caused by their typically low scores for Lana (68 for NFR / 30 for COCC). 

And yet another 4/5 review from The Scotsman:

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/album-reviews-lana-del-rey-jarvis-cocker-tori-amos-finn-anderson-3433378

12 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

It’s just so mind boggling to me that someone could still be so attached to Born To Die for whatever reasons and still expect a recycling of that sound and aesthetic 10 years down the road of an artist who is well known for completely changing her sound from album to album. Even Norman and Chemtrails (which many cite as similar) had crucial differences between them (the former being a harrowing, dazzling surf rock look at a dying America/falling culture, the latter being a quite more introspective, neo-folk incursion into a desire in escaping to a simpler reality, where fame doesn’t exist).

Over the course of 10 years and 8 albums, Lana has given us an all-changing variety of soundscapes and concepts, always evolving and maturing as a singer and songwriter. To ask  or expect her to return to previous eras and/or sonorities is completely negating and ignoring how much her writing, singing, producing and melody arranging has changed throughout the years. She’s not the same person as she was in 2011 - and she has explicitly affirmed she has no intention to.

It’s absolutely fine to not love or support this album. Like, whatever. I myself dislike Arcadia and most of the fandom seems to love it - different opinions are bound to happen within any given fandom or corner of art criticism and consumption. Just don’t put your views and perspectives on a pedestal to the point of becoming condescending and pretentious. They’re absolutely useless and detrimental to the healthy and constructive conversations that can be born from our differences. We’re not 13 anymore, fucking hell.

I agree with everything here!

Spoiler

Even Arcadia.. I adore the verses, but there is something about that chorus..

By the way, thanks for that, on the way, I'll pray for ya
But you'll need a miracle
America

48 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

It’s just so mind boggling to me that someone could still be so attached to Born To Die for whatever reasons and still expect a recycling of that sound and aesthetic 10 years down the road of an artist who is well known for completely changing her sound from album to album. Even Norman and Chemtrails (which many cite as similar) had crucial differences between them (the former being a harrowing, dazzling surf rock look at a dying America/falling culture, the latter being a quite more introspective, neo-folk incursion into a desire in escaping to a simpler reality, where fame doesn’t exist).

Over the course of 10 years and 8 albums, Lana has given us an all-changing variety of soundscapes and concepts, always evolving and maturing as a singer and songwriter. To ask  or expect her to return to previous eras and/or sonorities is completely negating and ignoring how much her writing, singing, producing and melody arranging has changed throughout the years. She’s not the same person as she was in 2011 - and she has explicitly affirmed she has no intention to.

It’s absolutely fine to not love or support this album. Like, whatever. I myself dislike Arcadia and most of the fandom seems to love it - different opinions are bound to happen within any given fandom or corner of art criticism and consumption. Just don’t put your views and perspectives on a pedestal to the point of becoming condescending and pretentious. They’re absolutely useless and detrimental to the healthy and constructive conversations that can be born from our differences. We’re not 13 anymore, fucking hell.

Not once in the last few pages of this thread have I seen a single post from any user on this website asking Lana to revisit the Born to die soundscape

Also your point in itself about how Lana shouldn’t revisit old sounds literally doesn’t add up when on this record 4 of the songs were written during the Ultraviolence era

i would not say that this new album from Lana is a new soundscape for her at all, its the typical melodic arrangements and instrumentation we’ve seen from her in the past only mastered which I’ll give her props for but as you mentioned just like the last record the same lyricism thats “introspective, neo-folk incursion into a desire in escaping to a simpler reality, where fame doesn’t exist” 

she’s literally RE-USING songs from a decade ago and youre like “wow growth” “her writing has improved”???????

32 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

I agree, but some of us might be 13, you never know. 

9 minutes ago, CmonDownToFL said:

So anyway, anyone got any theories on what she meant when she said she's working on something that hopefully doesn't seem mad in a few years :creep3: 

She's going to release a trippy hip-hop sultry folk upbeat disco cinematic surf rock bluegrass country jazzy pop EDM-house-PC-music 300-tracks album

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

12 minutes ago, CmonDownToFL said:

So anyway, anyone got any theories on what she meant when she said she's working on something that hopefully doesn't seem mad in a few years :creep3: 

I wonder if it might have to do with that musical she brought up a few years ago, or maybe something else involving acting. It's most likely just a song/record she's working on that might seem a bit out of the box at first, though 

imageproxy.jpg

my vinyl arrived today and wow, this is definitely her most sophisticated cover... it's really really lovely to look at

the colours are so warm and inviting, the yellow goes really nicely with the brown and the white frame, her dress is silky and stunning, her bare feet make her look so relaxed, open and vulnerable and the dogs look so strong and protective, just beautiful

ultraviolence, born to die and blue banisters are by far her best covers 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Dance me all around the room
Spin me like ballerina super high
Dance me all around the moon
Like six times 'til I'm sick and I cry
Once, twice, three times
The guy I ever thought I would meet, so
Don't say you're over me
When they all know that you're lying
If you lie down right next to me

giphy.gif?cid=e3b0c44206c3a2be4b86fdf0ad

1 hour ago, Taylor Secman said:

All of the songs that he listed are some of the brilliant songs that got us into loving Lana in the first place, none of the songs on Blue Banisters are what make us fans of her, anyone who’s listening to Blue Banisters was already a fan previously which of course is only because its a couple days old but highly doubt any new listeners who will be listening to Lana for the first time with Blue Banisters will be revisiting her discography

the album is absolutely not cohesive, its a collection of songs and its very obvious with a couple of songs that they were recorded at very different times than the rest of the record

This sounds really narrow-minded. Blue Banisters surely isn't what makes us the fans of her like today, but it's what keeps us stay and keeping up with her, love her more for sure.

And you are actually thinking that Blue Banisters doesn't find its way to new fans for real? "Dealer" is currently trending on tiktok

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

I have the weirdest feeling that her next main album after blue banisters is going to really go all in on stylish, evocative bops

something in the vein of the trio, dealer, wildflower wildfire (outro), more summery surf vibes, trip hop, Mike Dean production….. 

could be totally wrong but I feel like she’s coming back towards a more pop-centred album next time.

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

I think Lana may one day return to her original trip hop sound for a few songs or even a whole album, like Madonna has, because that's part of being free and doing what you feel like too. 'Meet Me in the Pale Moonlight' and 'Making Out' are, to me, classics of their kind. That they're just superficial pop songs makes no difference to me. 

The problem with a lot of BTD, as I see it, was not that the production was off (though we know Lana said she didn't like some of it), but that some of the songs were very weak, almost filler. 

I'm sure she could do a few songs or an album utilizing a contemporary, 2022-2023 version of that sound.

I think there are touches of the BTD sound on 'Black Bathing Suit,' and 'Wild At Heart' from COCC sounded very like a BTD track to me. 

1 minute ago, IanadeIrey said:

Well…good morning in this thread! Blue Banisters truly is the best album of all time. No debate about it! g56ewvqs2yl71.png

Did I miss your album review? I’ve been trying to keep up lol, but I feel like I missed it. I loved what you said about Text Book. 

1 minute ago, IanadeIrey said:

Well…good morning in this thread! Blue Banisters truly is the best album of all time. No debate about it! g56ewvqs2yl71.png

I wish someone had asked her the context of this post on the livestream on Friday, I still have no idea why she made that or posted it :omfg2: It's honestly kind of iconic 

imageproxy.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pale Fire said:

I have the weirdest feeling that her next main album after blue banisters is going to really go all in on stylish, evocative bops

something in the vein of the trio, dealer, wildflower wildfire (outro), more summery surf vibes, trip hop, Mike Dean production….. 

could be totally wrong but I feel like she’s coming back towards a more pop-centred album next time.

i hope so. even though i enjoy the new lana sound, i think people would appreciate it more if they were intercalated and not 3 albums with similar productions at the same time

like if it was

BTD/PARADISE/BLUE BANISTERS/ULTRAVIOLENCE/HONEYMOON/COCC/LFL/NFR!

people would see their individualities much more

Just now, gatadelrey said:

Did I miss your album review? I’ve been trying to keep up lol, but I feel like I missed it. I loved what you said about Text Book. 

Aw, thank you! :wub: Man…I love Text Book so much. I haven’t posted any critical thoughts on the whole thing yet, just the fact that I love it LOL. I hope to soon!

Just now, Super Movie said:

I wish someone had asked her the context of this post on the livestream on Friday, I still have no idea why she made that or posted it :omfg2: It's honestly kind of iconic 

Same:hide: she is a true prophet, though! She knew the power of BB :true: