Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

3 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

i hope so. even though i enjoy the new lana sound, i think people would appreciate it more if they were intercalated and not 3 albums with similar productions at the same time

like if it was

BTD/PARADISE/BLUE BANISTERS/ULTRAVIOLENCE/HONEYMOON/COCC/LFL/NFR!

people would see their individualities much more

thats true! Although I suppose in a sense the way her albums have been released has shown this definite progression of her as an artist. Every album is different to / an evolution of the last, while still being reminiscent of it in some ways. But yeah after COCC & BB back to back I’m dying for some bops. I don’t think my heart can take another piano driven album directly after this

gLoD.gif

gLoH.gif :beyonce:

Idk how anyone could not like this album…. For me there are no skips and something about it just makes me feel things I can’t explain. It feels personal and special and it makes me feel even more than I did before that Lana just gets me and who I am and who I’m meant to be. The writing on this album is INSANELY good as are the vocals. She is the most talented human on the planet and definitely the coolest. :wub:

i know for some of y'all, Born to Die era is like her god-tier.

It's true that Born to die was a cultural reset, it was a beautiful a d influential album that changed the whole pop music scene. But let's be honest here: that fact does not make Born to Die the best in Lana's catalogue, if ur a true fan, you'll know she is so much more than that and has a handful of real deal up on her sleeve. So it's understandable if you're a stan and you don't rank Born to die as her #1, even though it has nostalgia value since for most of us: Born to Die was what introduce us to Lana Del Rey.

The truth is: Born to Die is no doubt a great album, but from Ultraviolence onward, I doubt that there's anything worse than  Born to Die. Born to Die isn't the worst album, It's just there's no album below Born to Die and y'all gotta accept that. The only way Lana goes is UP & always stay ABOVE.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

31 minutes ago, Whore of Tropico said:

This sounds really narrow-minded. Blue Banisters surely isn't what makes us the fans of her like today, but it's what keeps us stay and keeping up with her, love her more for sure.

And you are actually thinking that Blue Banisters doesn't find its way to new fans for real? "Dealer" is currently trending on tiktok

If the fanbase really loved Blue Banisters it wouldn’t be tanking in streaming. The hype around Lana died years ago so it was always her dedicated fans not new listeners that kept her streaming up, she isn’t a singles artist and has always been an albums artist and that is from her huge audience that connected with her previous records and stream the fuck out of them constantly, and with this album the fan base just isn’t listening anymore

album releases are much like new seasons of television shows, if the last season was good, then people tune again in next season, but when the show starts getting repetitive and repeating the same storylines, then the viewership goes down

If people wanted more of this introspective very matter of fact lyricism and simple instrumentation then we’d see more people listening to it, but it appears that isnt the case

even violet the book sold more copies than this record and those are purely physical books, physical copies and streaming included of this album will probably sell less than that BOOK which I would believe only her fan base would buy,

a musical artist has less fans listening to her latest record than a book she put out just over a year ago , i think that speaks for itself in terms of our fanbases enjoyment of this record

Now i know that not EVERY fan isn’t disliking the album like i get it its personal taste but the fans who are enjoying this album are definitely in the minority and the numbers show it 

also dealer is “trending” on tiktok but even Lana’s unreleased which have never seen the light of day have been more than a 100x more viral than dealer :/

2 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

If the fanbase really loved Blue Banisters it wouldn’t be tanking in streaming

The album got more streams in it's 4th day than Chemtrails did and received 5,339,181 streams yesterday. Of course it's not as high as the streams of other artists, but that's not what matters at all. It's not "tanking" (and even if it was, who cares?). Generally, I don't know why you're so obsessed with the fact that Lana's numbers aren't as high as they were in past eras. Streams don't equal quality, which kind of feels like what you're trying to say. And about Dealer trending, it literally just started getting popular a few days ago, so obviously it's not as big as other viral Lana songs. It's fun to celebrate when Lana does well in her numbers, but that shouldn't be the focus of being a fan. You should be a fan because you enjoy the music. 

imageproxy.jpg

4 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

The album got more streams in it's 4th day than Chemtrails did and received 5,339,181 streams yesterday. Of course it's not as high as the streams of other artists, but that's not what matters at all. It's not "tanking" (and even if it was, who cares?). Generally, I don't know why you're so obsessed with the fact that Lana's numbers aren't as high as they were in past eras. Streams don't equal quality, which kind of feels like what you're trying to say. And about Dealer trending, it literally just started getting popular a few days ago, so obviously it's not as big as other viral Lana songs. It's fun to celebrate when Lana does well in her numbers, but that shouldn't be the focus of being a fan. You should be a fan because you enjoy the music. 

She’s also ten years into her career and released the album without promo… what did they expect?

Lanarat.png

15 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

You’re missing the point, i don’t understand how you’re not seeing the correlation between people enjoying music and streaming numbers, if the fan base liked this album they would be listening to it like constantly streaming the songs because they want to keep hearing it, and people are simply not streaming the songs because probably they just don’t like the album all that much

Also this argument against streams not equalling quality simply isn’t true especially for poets which Lana prides herself as being, in the words of Lana’s own favorite poet Walt Whitman: “The proof of a poet is that his country absorbs him as affectionately as he has absorbed it”

Seeing my own Last.Fm streaming numbers I’m barely listening to this record and thats reflective of the general listening numbers of me and my friends who have been long time fans of lana, from personal experience and what I’m seeing in numbers from this record

You said previously that Blue banisters is “what keeps us stay and keeping up with her” and i was using streaming nunbers to say you’re wrong, people definitely wanted to keep up with her in the past and thats evident when she was debuting with 100k a week for every other album, how could you say this album is what makes us want to stay keeping up with her with only 25k people, more people would be streaming this album if we wanted to keep up

Reading short stories written by Nabokov as I have the album playing in the background on this rainy day, with no care about chart positions or album sales in sight :hair:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 hour ago, Taylor Secman said:

Not once in the last few pages of this thread have I seen a single post from any user on this website asking Lana to revisit the Born to die soundscape

Also your point in itself about how Lana shouldn’t revisit old sounds literally doesn’t add up when on this record 4 of the songs were written during the Ultraviolence era

i would not say that this new album from Lana is a new soundscape for her at all, its the typical melodic arrangements and instrumentation we’ve seen from her in the past only mastered which I’ll give her props for but as you mentioned just like the last record the same lyricism thats “introspective, neo-folk incursion into a desire in escaping to a simpler reality, where fame doesn’t exist” 

she’s literally RE-USING songs from a decade ago and youre like “wow growth” “her writing has improved”???????

Many users have stated time and time again that they wish Lana made songs like she used to. The user I was referring to reinforced that.

I was lukewarm to Lana using old songs as well until I heard them in the project the way she intended us to. With all due respect but simply saying that she’s “lazy” or “unimaginative” because she’s readapting old songs (which leaks she had no autonomy over - what in and of itself doesn’t make it a RE-USE as you said) is just looking at this project through very strained and close minded goggles.

I can’t imagine a previous project of hers being able to fit in Cherry Blossom and Living Legend within their narratives and concepts for instance. Both songs are so intricately tied to the themes of motherhood through very different meanings and perspectives - considering this is the very first project of hers in which she openly talks about her difficult relationship with her mother and the overall impact her family ties have had in her own perception of intimacy building and how the failures of her romantic relationships are intimately tied with her own upbringing, I’d say this is the first time CB and LL (for example) actually make any sense being included in a LDR album; CB is a lullaby to an imaginary child and LL is an homage to her surrogate mother… which then flows right into SC which itself is a direct reassurance towards her sister who’s about to become a mother herself: these three songs in succession being positioned at the back half of an album that gently delves into the toxicity and abandonment of her own strained relationship with her biological mother figure is a good enough reason for those songs to be included. It’s not just going to a vault and picking up whatever demos she thinks are cool enough to be released - there’s a distinct narrative purpose that is very new in her discography and it makes perfect sense that she would feel like those songs found a home in the vision she wants to share with the world.

With that said, I don’t want to keep trying to explain whatever concept or narrative reside within this album. Either you get it/relate to it/appreciate it or you don’t and that’s fine. What I think it’s unfair is to try and extrapolate general conclusions about what’s a real fan or not based on individual responses and opinions towards Blue Banisters. I know you weren’t the one who started out this conversation but you intervened and here we are.

IMG-7960.jpg

5 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

You said previously that Blue banisters is “what keeps us stay and keeping up with her” and i was using streaming nunbers to say you’re wrong, people definitely wanted to keep up with her in the past and thats evident when she was debuting with 100k a week for every other album, how could you say this album is what makes us want to stay keeping up with her with only 25k people, less people wouldn’t be streaming this album if we wanted to keep up

Actually, that wasn't me who said that :oopna: I've literally never interacted with you before this moment. I just don't see the point in trying to show that your opinion on the album is a fact when it's really not - nobodies is.

imageproxy.jpg

37 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

If the fanbase really loved Blue Banisters it wouldn’t be tanking in streaming. The hype around Lana died years ago so it was always her dedicated fans not new listeners that kept her streaming up, she isn’t a singles artist and has always been an albums artist and that is from her huge audience that connected with her previous records and stream the fuck out of them constantly, and with this album the fan base just isn’t listening anymore

album releases are much like new seasons of television shows, if the last season was good, then people tune again in next season, but when the show starts getting repetitive and repeating the same storylines, then the viewership goes down

If people wanted more of this introspective very matter of fact lyricism and simple instrumentation then we’d see more people listening to it, but it appears that isnt the case

even violet the book sold more copies than this record and those are purely physical books, physical copies and streaming included of this album will probably sell less than that BOOK which I would believe only her fan base would buy,

a musical artist has less fans listening to her latest record than a book she put out just over a year ago , i think that speaks for itself in terms of our fanbases enjoyment of this record

Now i know that not EVERY fan isn’t disliking the album like i get it its personal taste but the fans who are enjoying this album are definitely in the minority and the numbers show it 

also dealer is “trending” on tiktok but even Lana’s unreleased which have never seen the light of day have been more than a 100x more viral than dealer :/

chill sis, the album has only been out for 4 days, it's not always about whether or not the fandom loves it. Remember: this album is doing all of these numbers without receiving any proper promotion, no radio plays, no playlisting, no hype at all to begin with, the social media is the only place to promo the album and give it more hype but Lana chose to sign off & deactivated all the socials ONE MONTH before the release, think bigger.

And one more important thing, billboard rules change like everysingle day, and sadly the first week physical sales does not even count.

Try to understand the situation shall we?

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

6 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

Many users have stated time and time again that they wish Lana made songs like she used to. The user I was referring to reinforced that.

I was lukewarm to Lana using old songs as well until I heard them in the project the way she intended us to. With all due respect but simply saying that she’s “lazy” or “unimaginative” because she’s readapting old songs (which leaks she had no autonomy over - what in and of itself doesn’t make it a RE-USE as you said) is just looking at this project through very strained and close minded goggles.

I can’t imagine a previous project of hers being able to fit in Cherry Blossom and Living Legend within their narratives and concepts for instance. Both songs are so intricately tied to the themes of motherhood through very different meanings and perspectives - considering this is the very first project of hers in which she openly talks about her difficult relationship with her mother and the overall impact her family ties have had in her own perception of intimacy building and how the failures of her romantic relationships are intimately tied with her own upbringing, I’d say this is the first time CB and LL (for example) actually make any sense being included in a LDR album; CB is a lullaby to an imaginary child and LL is an homage to her surrogate mother… which then flows right into SC which itself is a direct reassurance towards her sister who’s about to become a mother herself: these three songs in succession being positioned at the back half of an album that gently delves into the toxicity and abandonment of her own strained relationship with her biological mother figure is a good enough reason for those songs to be included. It’s not just going to a vault and picking up whatever demos she thinks are cool enough to be released - there’s a distinct narrative purpose that is very new in her discography and it makes perfect sense that she would feel like those songs found a home in the vision she wants to share with the world.

With that said, I don’t want to keep trying to explain whatever concept or narrative reside within this album. Either you get it/relate to it/appreciate it or you don’t and that’s fine. What I think it’s unfair is to try and extrapolate general conclusions about what’s a real fan or not based on individual responses and opinions towards Blue Banisters. I know you weren’t the one who started out this conversation but you intervened and here we are.

Yes yes yes yes. Cherry Blossom and Living Legend both play a significant role in interweaving the thematic and musical threads of this record   :gclap:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 hours ago, Super Movie said:

So we're not true fans for liking the album, but you were literally on here a few months ago going on and on about Lana's body in a negative manner and you are? This just in: people are allowed to like new things and still be a fan of the artist! I don't care whether or not you like the album, this is a weird mentality for anyone to have on any musician. I agree that most of those songs you mentioned are outstanding tracks, but that doesn't take away from there being tracks people like on Blue Banisters too and to claim that it does makes absolutely zero sense. 

This is just a general thing to everyone, myself included: your opinions do not equal facts, and you shouldn't present them as such. Okay, rant over :runs:

I never said it's a fact.... It's just, like, my opinion. 

I completely love and respect the fact that y'all like it. But it seems to be that there are no memorable songs on it, and that we won't have another Love or Video Games on our hands with this album. I'd be hard pressed to add any of the tracks  on BB to a LDR best off. None of the songs, except maybe Black Bathing Suit, carry any weight in terms of her discography, which was far more adventurous and memorable on her past records, including Chemtrails.

But again, this is just one opinion, guys... Why get your panties in a knot? If you're that sure the album is banging, you won't care about what I have to say, right? Just enjoy the record. Love to all (from someone who - remember - has every right in the world to DISLIKE the record, as much as you like it). Peace