Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

13 minutes ago, CmonDownToFL said:

She keeps implying things about her karmic lineage & stuff like that, I wonder if she means her ancestors were like terrible or something   

She is so esoteric! I wish she was more in touch with reality. I mean, spending money on the Navajo Nation is not bad, but her mind behind it worries me a bit.

Are we still fighting about the quality of the lyrics? Christ. Just because they read like a diary doesn't automatically make them bad, just like repeating "I'm a sad girl i'm a bad girl i'm pretty when i cry x5 times" doesn't make the songs on UV any less emotionally evocative 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Imagine a world where sometimes as many as three tempo changes and off-tempo percussion in multiple songs and lyrics written in a stream of consciousness manner that reference the beat and jazz movements in  both delivery and theme in a relatively mainstream contemporary release isn’t experimenting 😂

7 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

She is so esoteric! I wish she was more in touch with reality. I mean, spending money on the Navajo Nation is not bad, but her mind behind it worries me a bit.

what does that mean?

13 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

Damn, it would have been an easy #2 or maybe #1 if they didn’t fuck up the physicals. If dealer keeps getting more traction this week it could probably do a little more too

i really don't get why they pushed the blue banisters release back to oct 22nd when the physicals aren't shipping on the week! might as well just let her release digitally

30 minutes ago, wildheart said:

I think regardless if you find her writing compelling now or the BTD era, this is a huge level of vulnerability she is exploring with BB.

You go from saying “I got a taste in men much older” in Paradise to “I guess you can call it text book, I was looking for the father I wanted back” in BB. From “my mother’s glamour” in UV to “my father would never step in when his wife would rage at me” and “I’m not friends with my mother” in BB.

you might really find her dreamy musical landscape/persona from BTD/Paradise/UV more compelling but that’s all they were. Dreamy. They’re no less beautiful or complex, but they weren’t entirely real. Lana’s getting more raw and open in every record, and that is growth and not at all comfort imho. 

She’s written about things that aren’t entirely real in the past but she’s actually still writing about things that aren’t entirely real now too. Throughout her songwriting she’s always used her lyrics as a method of manifestation for things she wants in her life, when she was living in a trailer park she’d write about living in the glamorous part of hollywood and diamonds, getting fame noteriety and rivera’s etc, and these were often fantastical ideals that made the music to me at least very interesting. They became true for her when they manifested themselves eventually with the weird way the universe works or whatever she’s been able to get the things she writes about, almost prophetic

k6d6gdhyhul11.jpg

now she’s still trying to manifest a simple life, “give me children take away my pain”, “i’ve got a kid and two cats in the yard”, “A simple life, I chose this”, these things may not have manifested yet but she’s still writing about things that aren’t entirely real in an attempt to like bring them into her life but there really is not much interesting about the imagery she’s associated her songwriting with currently it isn’t fantastical or as you said dreamy, theres nothing too exciting about a simple life with a child and being in the backyard but it is what she thinks will give her happiness 

19 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

what does that mean?

She talked about her "karmic lineage" in the live chat some days ago (not only in BBS):

Essentially, I want to thank you because we've already given 300k to the Navajo nation and we still have 700k to spread out, and I'm very grateful that 3 years ago I felt an instinct to not only help others, but heal my own family's karmic lineage through paying reparations. & That was a concept that came to me before a lot of the matters we've been taking about in the past 2 years came to light.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/lana-del-rey-donates-350000-to-provide-navajo-nation-with-clean-water-2808918

2 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

what does that mean?

i really don't get why they pushed the blue banisters release back to oct 22nd when the physicals aren't shipping on the week! might as well just let her release digitally

Ya it really didn’t make sense :rip: but I really don’t think there was anything they could have done differently, and at the end of the day it will still sell the same amount so what’s the difference between selling 35k week 1 & 25k week 2  versus selling 60k week 1 

Just now, bluechemtrails said:

She talked about her "karmic lineage" in the live chat some days ago (not only in BBS):

This is def the “thing I’ve never talked about” before and also probably why she randomly hates her mom

but it’s not something worth speculating on as it seems pretty personal so that’s all I’ll give me thoughts on :rip: 

22 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:

Damn, it would have been an easy #2 or maybe #1 if they didn’t fuck up the physicals. If dealer keeps getting more traction this week it could probably do a little more too

Definitely an easy number 1 with physicals and Dealer as single on release day… but she doesn’t care and nor does her label, so it’s okay. Music is great and that’s what really matters! 

Honestly she is too good for the charts at this point 

I thought I had an issue where I was getting bored of the ballad but then this album came out and I absolutely love every part of it. I think this is the vibe she’s currently on and she’s going to continue doing it until she feels that it’s time to move on artistically. Complaining and nitpicking isn’t going to solve anything. I love the bops too, West Coast, Shades of Cool, sad girl are some of my favorite songs of all time so it’s clear I love her more dramatic songs, and less the stripped down ones but all we can do for now is enjoy what she’s currently putting out for us and if you don’t like that then listen to her old stuff or I don’t listen at all. I think eventually she will move on from the ballads but for now we’re enjoying her current vibe. Let Lana be Lana 

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

now we come to my assessment

Text Book 6/10  (definitely not a bad song, but it doesn't bother me that much.)

Blue Banisters 3/10 ( it has no ups and downs. I don't listen to this song.)

Arcadia 7/10 (verses are better than the chorus. has a warm atmosphere, I like it a lot.)

Interlude -The Trio 9/10 (this is how the next album should sound like)

Black Bathing Suit 9/10 ( Born to Die says hi. One of my favorites.)

If you lie down with me 10/10 ( absolutely magical. top favorite. has what it takes to become a lana classic and is a career highlight)

Beautiful 4/10 ( boring. I switch off immediately.)

Violets for Roses 8/10 (very dreamy and special. you really have to get involved)

Dealer 8/10 .( it's a grower. I'm slowly enjoying the song more and more.)

Thunder 9/10 ( i like the atmosphere of the song very much, unique. one of my favourites)

Wildflower Wildfire 10/10 ( best song on the album. mike dean has created a masterpiece here with her. absolutely gorgeous)

Nectar of the gods 5/10 ( okay, but nothing special.)

Living Legend 8/10 ( this song is a real classic for me. simple and timeless..)

Cherry Blossom 6/10 (is quite nice, but nothing more.)

Sweet Carolina 3/10 (I can't listen to this song.)

overall a 7/10

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

Okay so in conclusion, Beautiful could’ve and should’ve been an email. Probably the only skip in the entire album for me 

Spoiler

Sweat Carolina doesn’t have the best lyrics and the melody isn’t really clicking for me but the intention and sentiment behind the song make it bearable and I enjoy it because it must be so special to them and it’s so nice to think of the meaning behind it

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

i'm obsessed with this album and i've been crying to violets for roses and beautiful since it came out :cryney: god dammit, elizabeth, you got me again. 

seriously tho, this album is my favorite lana album PERIOD. i tried ranking all of the albums multiple times and everytime i do, bb and uv are top 2. she's a genius, i'm so under her spell. 

kinda scared to admit this, but i was scared she lost her spark after releasing chemtrails because i didn't really love that album (btw i love everything she puts out, so it was strange that i didn't love it), but WOW, after this record i'm head over heels for her again. this woman never fails to amaze me with her art. the production, the lyrics, the vocals, the messages behind the songs, the album cover, the vinyls/vinyl colors, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT :wub: my poor little heart can't take the beauty and tenderness of the album, it's too much!

it's so good that i cannot even pick my favorite songs. i just know dealer is top 3, i'm so glad it's getting the recognition it deserves. but also i'm so obsessed with thunder and violets for roses. just everything about this record WOWED ME TO THE MAX, i can't describe how intense my tears were when i heard sweet carolina at the end of such a beautiful, cohesive record. i felt like i was flying (i sound insane, i'll stop here) :worship: all hail lana del rey

I know we're not getting a tour for this album, but I'm bored so I decided to make what would be my dream setlist if we were to get one for this album. I limited it to 18 songs (excluding the intro) and tried to put a bigger focus on the last few albums rather than BTD and LFL:

Intro - The Trio 

1. If You Lie Down With Me

2. Dark But Just A Game

3. Mariners Apartment Complex

4. Terrance Loves You

5. Violets for Roses

6. Black Bathing Suit

7. Dealer

8. Black Beauty 

9. Tulsa Jesus Freak

10. Cherry

11. Cinnamon Girl 

12. Thunder

12. Video Games (on the swing)

13. Cherry Blossom (on the swing) 

14. Yosemite

15. California 

16. Chemtrails Over The Country Club

17. Get Free

18. Wildflower Wildfire

And then I can see her throwing in an unreleased song every once in a while, but not Serial Killer

imageproxy.jpg

11 minutes ago, blackestday89 said:

now we come to my assessment

Text Book 6/10  (definitely not a bad song, but it doesn't bother me that much.)

Blue Banisters 3/10 ( it has no ups and downs. I don't listen to this song.)

Arcadia 7/10 (verses are better than the chorus. has a warm atmosphere, I like it a lot.)

Interlude -The Trio 9/10 (this is how the next album should sound like)

Black Bathing Suit 9/10 ( Born to Die says hi. One of my favorites.)

If you lie down with me 10/10 ( absolutely magical. top favorite. has what it takes to become a lana classic and is a career highlight)

Beautiful 4/10 ( boring. I switch off immediately.)

Violets for Roses 8/10 (very dreamy and special. you really have to get involved)

Dealer 8/10 .( it's a grower. I'm slowly enjoying the song more and more.)

Thunder 9/10 ( i like the atmosphere of the song very much, unique. one of my favourites)

Wildflower Wildfire 10/10 ( best song on the album. mike dean has created a masterpiece here with her. absolutely gorgeous)

Nectar of the gods 5/10 ( okay, but nothing special.)

Living Legend 8/10 ( this song is a real classic for me. simple and timeless..)

Cherry Blossom 6/10 (is quite nice, but nothing more.)

Sweet Carolina 3/10 (I can't listen to this song.)

overall a 7/10

I know it's your opinion but rating both Sweet Carolina and Blue Banisters a 3 is mind boggling 

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

3 minutes ago, CmonDownToFL said:

Okay so in conclusion, Beautiful could’ve and should’ve been an email.

If I could be more like you, I would. But I can't and I'm glad about that.

Signing off,

Lana

:oic2:

I agree with those saying this record is a mix of all the previous in some moments.

textbook has this honeymoon feeling

black bathing suit has lust  for life  

if you lie down with me has ultraviolence 

thunder has a slow born to die vibe

cherry blossom has a paradise 

nectar is may jailer

violets for rose is kinda normy to me

beautiful picks up from where cocc ended 

and then we have

arcadia, blue banisters, sweet carolina presents a new vision

dealer kinda reminds me of the my bedroom is a sacred place   

But none the less BB>COCC>LFL

fight me

[Hold me, love me, touch me, lanadel.gif

honey, be the first who ever did]

Yes, it is a bit of a bummer that if all the variants were readily available, she easily would have been #2 on the album charts instead of #8 but ... it is what it is. 

She's not worried about it, so we shouldn't be, either. I'm excited for all of us to get our vinyl and merch.