Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

3 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

What off key vocals is he even referring to other than the second verse of Arcadia, and the yelling on BBS/Dealer? :lmao:

Honestly, all the things he doesn't like about the album - how raw, messy and varied it is, are my favorite things about it. I would say it's definitely the most Hardcore Lana album yet, in that it's closest to who she is as an ~actual human being~, so clearly she just isn't for him. He may not like the execution, but he can't say she didn't experiment a bit here.

He literally cannot stand when she stands outside of that perfect little box of NFR it's so embarrassing. and I actually like him but he really does treat her unfairly and has some sort of weird bias against her experimenting 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, Poor Stacy said:

He may not like the execution, but he can't say she didn't experiment a bit here.

His review was basically this like, he acknowledged that she experimented more on this record but he didn’t like the execution. Tbh I don’t find the review (his explanation, not the grade) to be that irrational. I obviously disagree with what he said about dealer, but I do get the BBS criticism for example and I agree with what he considered to be some of the album highlights. 

zXzLCRU.png

1 minute ago, alexandro said:

His review was basically this like, he acknowledged that she experimented more on this record but he didn’t like the execution. Tbh I don’t find the review (his explanation, not the grade) to be that irrational. I obviously disagree with what he said about dealer, but I do get the BBS criticism for example and I agree with what he considered to be some of the album highlights. 

Yeah, that makes sense. That's more of a 6.5 type of rating in my eyes

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

It’s actually mind-boggling to me how no critic has even bothered to look into the layers and layers of the lyrics. Like, I have read the reviews, and even in the positive ones (which I am not complaining about at all) each journalist offers such a shallow, surface level interpretation of the lyrics, with some critics making a laughing stock out of her. And when someone backhandedly  and condescendingly mentions, “oh! This is Lana Del Rey telling her story,” it’s funny that they — someone with the privilege and esteemed-intellect worthy of a platform to write critically about music — still cannot get it. Somehow, Lana’s unrelated “controversies” can be woven into reviews, but context clues she’s littered graciously about the album to help piece its hidden narrative together are nowhere to be found. Tragic! 

27 minutes ago, alexandro said:

5/10

He dragged BBS, Beautiful, Dealer and Textbook 💀 

His favorites: BB, Arcadia, Thunder

He also didn’t like the vocals on most of the album. 

Ha. Even worse than I expected. Well, I disagree about BBS and some other comments, but on the whole he's right. One of her worst records.

Ok, I watched the video and it was actually a pretty valid analysis.

1 minute ago, littleredpartydress said:

Honestly his reviews normally are pretty good and always valid,  it’s just the mindless army that parrots his opinions that makes me hate him :rip: 

Him giving UV a 2 or whatever he gave it was just beyond :air:

I know Arcadia is a song that uses a specific place to convey its meaning and all, but I still think it was a missed opportunity to not shift the second verse to "My mind is a map of New York" or something along those lines. I don't think it would take away anything from the song, I actually think it would make it even more intricate than it is considering the fact that she was born here :oprah3:

i feel like if any other alternative female artist experimented like lana did with this album, with polarizing vocal styles, tempo-changes, "scream" vocals, & confessional, thought-provoking lyrics, etc. they would receive praise & acclaim, but when lana does anything that's not in the perfect little nfr "she's changed & she's happier now!" box she gets draggd & laughed at, people really need to forget about the lana del rey "image" which she was perceived as in 2011 and see her as the person & artist she actually is

WGe8ynS.gif

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i feel like if any other alternative female artist experimented like lana did with this album, with polarizing vocal styles, tempo-changes, "scream" vocals, & confessional, thought-provoking lyrics, etc. they would receive praise & acclaim, but when lana does anything that's not in the perfect little nfr "she's changed & she's happier now!" box she gets draggd & laughed at, people really need to forget about the false lana del rey image which was perceived in 2011 and see her as the person & artist she actually is

Exactly. NFR is the best and worst thing to ever happen to her. Best, because it shines a light on how massive she could be if she played by the rules but worst because it reflects how unfairly she is treated when she steps out of the box

I honestly agree with Fantano with this one. The vocals could have been cleared up a bit but yeah… i get the “rawness” i guess. i get the “one-take” aesthetic, but not a fan of it. 

i found that his favorites were also my favorites.

Eerrr and “Dealer” is a meh track for me - I just like it because I’m a fan, I have a huge bias, and I’ve never heard Lana really scream like that. i can see why non fans of Lana would think it’s trash. 

Still trying to figure out what's so wrong with the vocals. I hear more of a mixing issue at times than a vocal issue. :whoopi:

14 minutes ago, lanalizzielove said:

I honestly agree with Fantano with this one. The vocals could have been cleared up a bit but yeah… i get the “rawness” i guess. i get the “one-take” aesthetic, but not a fan of it. 

i found that his favorites were also my favorites.

Eerrr and “Dealer” is a meh track for me - I just like it because I’m a fan, I have a huge bias, and I’ve never heard Lana really scream like that. i can see why non fans of Lana would think it’s trash. 

Wait, really? I thought Dealer was trending all over Tik Tok by the general public?? It also performed significantly better than any of the other recent BB song uploads on her YT (not including the MVs, of course) hm, idk I just had the impression the song was big, but maybe not