Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

16 minutes ago, Gothicula said:

i just don’t think fantano as a fat and ugly straight man is really the demographic for lana.. he’s never gonna get that feeling of sexyness and the vibe in general while listening to her music JUST GIVE UP

I highly doubt he's ever gotten wild and fucking crazy like the color blue

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

14 minutes ago, Gothicula said:

i just don’t think fantano as a fat and ugly straight man is really the demographic for lana.. he’s never gonna get that feeling of sexyness and the vibe in general while listening to her music JUST GIVE UP

I get your point and I sort of agree, but you didn’t need to fat shame him… or anyone, for that matter

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

7 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

There’s nothing too exciting about a simple life with a child in a backyard and yet here you are in a fansite of hers. Do you enjoy being a contrarian just for the sake of being? How can you even fathom the idea that the songs in these past 3 records aren’t complex just because it doesn’t suit your Lolita fantasies? How can you say she’s not experimenting with her sound when you have TB, Dealer and BBS as prime examples of an experimentation within her own sound? At this point you’re just babbling things that make virtually no sense. Just say you’re not as interested in the themes she’s exploring and move on?

I literally said that the themes shes exploring about simplicity i don’t find interesting ☠️ You’re constantly projecting telling me that anyone who doesn’t find her current music captivating are all just wanting another born to die or some lolita type bullshit. 

She went from singing about the chateau marmont and exotic cars to her pickup truck toyota and the hilton hotel which are very normal every day places and things. Lets not act like she isn’t idolizing the mundane at this point, because she is. She literally doesn’t want an exciting life anymore and the music reflects that, period.

13 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

I literally said that the themes shes exploring about simplicity i don’t find interesting ☠️ You’re constantly projecting telling me that anyone who doesn’t find her current music captivating are all just wanting another born to die or some lolita type bullshit. 

She went from singing about the chateau marmont and exotic cars to her pickup truck toyota and the hilton hotel which are very normal every day places and things. Lets not act like she isn’t idolizing the mundane at this point, because she is. She literally doesn’t want an exciting life anymore and the music reflects, period.

so what if she doesn't want what you would consider an "exciting life"? honestly if you're that bothered by her because she's not singing about the same exact things for a decade maybe just listen to her old music or stop being a fan :bye: 

WGe8ynS.gif

6 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

She went from singing about the chateau marmont and exotic cars to her pickup truck toyota and the hilton hotel which are very normal every day places and things. Lets not act like she isn’t idolizing the mundane at this point, because she is. She literally doesn’t want an exciting life anymore and the music reflects, period.

And that’s what makes her music more relatable  now. Who used to relate to her singing about chateau marmont and glamourous stuff?? Rich folks?

She’s been singing about her daily life and her simplest inner thoughts since NFR, and her lyrics have become more relatable than ever.

The Lana you’re holding on to is not coming back, like it or not. You’re free to unstan if you don’t like what she does now, it’s perfectly okay to not like her anymore. What’s not okay is spreading so much negativity as if Lana’s music was objectively bad now when it’s objectively the best it’s ever been.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

6 hours ago, FallingCherry said:

And that’s what makes her music more relatable  now. Who used to relate to her singing about chateau marmont and glamourous stuff?? Rich folks?

She’s been singing about her daily life and her simplest inner thoughts since NFR, and her lyrics have become more relatable than ever.

The Lana you’re holding on to is not coming back, like it or not. You’re free to unstan if you don’t like what she does now, it’s perfectly okay to not like her anymore. What’s not okay is spreading so much negativity as if Lana’s music was objectively bad now when it’s objectively the best it’s ever been.

I never said it was objectively bad I said it was uninteresting, don’t put words in my mouth. Also saying her current music is objectively good is not an okay assertion to make. 

And why is relatable music the measure of how good a song is??! To me at least, you don’t have to relate to something for it to be good. People watch keeping up with the kardashians because it’s relatable? No, because its exciting and fun to watch rich people do shit. Interesting storytelling doesn’t have to be relatable to be intriguing. Most of the time NOT ALL of the time there should be some element of fantasy to keep things interesting

i just feel so lucky to be in the minority of people  (basically just us) who are the closest to fully understanding what Lana is doing, it would be so sad if she was just another alt girl to me. I'll never unstan because of what she has created, which is art and just a perspective that speaks to my soul like nothing ever has. Fantano and a lot of people will never know the feeling and thats so sad for them but it makes me feel so thankful LOL :flutter:

F*ntano’s review was mostly valid, even though i disagree with him. He acknowledged that there were really solid songs and highlights on the album, which he thought were marred by her dedication to the “one take” aesthetic— not an insanely biased take by any measure.

I also find it interesting that so many people find this album to be “breaking the rules”, when so many hooks of the songs on this album just consist of one word or phrase sung three times, or just too much repetition for my taste in general.

Hes wrong abt dealer tho, if anything is wrong with it, its the hollow production.

Idk i was hoping for another 7 from him but i understand.

I also wanna clarify that even with my issues with the album, i still love it and its in my top 3.

I'm glad Lana's left Fantano behind. Having him like her was always something of a 'turd in the chocolate box' (as a friend of mine used to put it), so good riddance. Forget about just the score he gave Ultraviolence, watch the actual video. It's one of the most moronic ten minutes ever. You can't accuse him of being a misogynist, but he is an idiot - this is a guy who (rightly) loves Lingua Ignota, who is experimental, but can't deal with someone he's put in a different box trying to go out of it. Even when, if you look over all of Lana's career, she's constantly changed what she's done.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

2 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

It’s actually mind-boggling to me how no critic has even bothered to look into the layers and layers of the lyrics. Like, I have read the reviews, and even in the positive ones (which I am not complaining about at all) each journalist offers such a shallow, surface level interpretation of the lyrics, with some critics making a laughing stock out of her. And when someone backhandedly  and condescendingly mentions, “oh! This is Lana Del Rey telling her story,” it’s funny that they — someone with the privilege and esteemed-intellect worthy of a platform to write critically about music — still cannot get it. Somehow, Lana’s unrelated “controversies” can be woven into reviews, but context clues she’s littered graciously about the album to help piece its hidden narrative together are nowhere to be found. Tragic! 

This is such an astute comment. I get some critics being overwhelmed by the number of places/people/names referenced, but none of them that I've seen have even bothered to look into the surface level of a lot of the songs - they've just picked out some phrases and dealt with those. Have you even seen anybody pick up what Cherry Blossom is talking about, even aside from the deeper context of Lana's life? Or thought about what it means to say that only one item of clothing fits her, beyond joking about how they also put on weight over the pandemic? I don't expect them to care about what she's trying to say, but it would be nice if they at least tried to figure out the basic meanings of the songs.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

49 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

She stopped trading her violets for roses :sass:

There was a thread that was dry,

sittin' on Lanaboards
She asked me what it is,

I said, "A place I don't remember"
Pre-release (ooooh huh huh huh)

I love BB but somehow I miss being excited for a new record. Let‘s hope Miss Del Rey announces LDR 9 soon :party:

1 hour ago, plastiscguy said:

In my opinion, they aren't really polished and I understand it's because Lana wanted this album to sound raw, pure and "desperately" fragile but like someone mentioned above, I'm also not a fan of it.

It sounds too messy and sometimes the vocals are way too loud (Arcadia, Black Bathing Suit, If You Lie Down with Me, Sweet Carolina) and it hurts my ears :creep:

Overall, I do love the album... But I do agree the execution failed and could have been done much better. 

Agree with this so much. My colleagues at work at pissed off at me because she sounds like a screeching cat through my headphones, especially on Arcadia. The music is mixed so low compared to her voice and the voice itself is unpolished, and therefore it just sounds amateurish in places. In comparison, they don't complain when I listen to tracks like Ride or Video Games, etc. Fantano is right. Something is wrong in La-Na Land this time.