Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

Listening to the album straight through again, and she NAILED the tracklist this time. It really takes you on a journey, reading your comments is helping me make sense of it. 

Text Book is such a mysterious opener that morphs its complexity into something beautiful and emotional (even if still extremely layered). Blue Banister sends you down the rabbit hole, an almost stream-of-consciousness flood of emotion. Arcadia is almost a taunt, in my opinion, or a quiet defense. It's playful, sweet, and cleverly masking its underlying anger. The Trio makes you think "What the fuck?", but it totally makes sense when you consider the chaotic energy of Lana flipping the bird at us in the video as Arcadia ends. It's a warning to the listener of what's to come... Which comes in the form of Black Bathing Suit and onward.

The midsection is just pure catharsis - she wants to be loved even if it's all a lie, her pain is beautiful, everything you love she hates, she knows you won't give her one shirt off your back, but it's cool, because she also knows the real you -- what you're really like when the party ends.

... And on I could go. But ya know. It's a ride.

(I loved the posts analyzing the run from tracks 11-15. Wildflower Wildfire about who she aims to be as a lover to avoid being like her mother, Nectar of the Gods being a battle of the self, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom, and Sweet Carolina covering various forms of motherhood - adopted, self-soothing/parenting, her sister/post-partum depression... :wowcry:)

It's layers to this shit... :oprah: :angie:

50 minutes ago, boom like that said:

mOF2553.jpg

From last week during my first BB listen Cjkzd9C.gif

Oh I love this so much!

♬  ♥  .。.    .。.   ♥  ♬

There are violets in your eyes
There are guns that blaze around you
There are roses in between my thighs
And a fire that surrounds you

8 hours ago, Urbanney said:

I don’t get all the love for Thunder. It’s not bad, but totally forgettable for me. I feel like 70% of the song is just “just do it, don’t wait.”

I love Thunder, but it's also a little forgettable for me on this particular album. I think it would stand out on a lot of other artist's albums though. I also feel like the repetitiveness is intentional, like you're trying to convince yourself to do something. I like the repetition a lot for that reason. 

♬  ♥  .。.    .。.   ♥  ♬

There are violets in your eyes
There are guns that blaze around you
There are roses in between my thighs
And a fire that surrounds you

27 minutes ago, lustforlife said:

That album is so unfinished rough and deep... It reminds alot Joplim, Patti, Joan Jett, all those girls who doesnt give a fuck about reputation. Here for it 

Tbh Fantano was right when he said the album sounds like a first draft. But unlike him that's what i LOVE about it! She's so sick I adore her

ALSO he said a lot of it sounds like she did it in one take when on her life she said she did everything in one take. lol. like he's criticizing her when that's literally her exact artistic choice. dummy

small-sq-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence.gife4d193ad6825522455102e1518efe3d6835b52da

3 hours ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

LOL idk what I expected, but not that. ily

1 hour ago, boom like that said:

mOF2553.jpg

From last week during my first BB listen Cjkzd9C.gif

Sooo beautiful! What a serene setting. I wish I was a calm enough person for stuff like this :flutter:

Does anybody have a list of the dates that she first posted snippets of lyrics, etc on Instagram, when that was still a thing? I remember meaning take notes at the time, but never did, until it was too late.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

1 hour ago, Poor Stacy said:

Listening to the album straight through again, and she NAILED the tracklist this time. It really takes you on a journey, reading your comments is helping me make sense of it. 

Text Book is such a mysterious opener that morphs its complexity into something beautiful and emotional (even if still extremely layered). Blue Banister sends you down the rabbit hole, an almost stream-of-consciousness flood of emotion. Arcadia is almost a taunt, in my opinion, or a quiet defense. It's playful, sweet, and cleverly masking its underlying anger. The Trio makes you think "What the fuck?", but it totally makes sense when you consider the chaotic energy of Lana flipping the bird at us in the video as Arcadia ends. It's a warning to the listener of what's to come... Which comes in the form of Black Bathing Suit and onward.

The midsection is just pure catharsis - she wants to be loved even if it's all a lie, her pain is beautiful, everything you love she hates, she knows you won't give her one shirt off your back, but it's cool, because she also knows the real you -- what you're really like when the party ends.

... And on I could go. But ya know. It's a ride.

(I loved the posts analyzing the run from tracks 11-15. Wildflower Wildfire about who she aims to be as a lover to avoid being like her mother, Nectar of the Gods being a battle of the self, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom, and Sweet Carolina covering various forms of motherhood - adopted, self-soothing/parenting, her sister/post-partum depression... :wowcry:)

It's layers to this shit... :oprah: :angie:

Omg, I love how spot on this is :wowcry:!! Especially what you said about Arcadia and The Trio. It's meant to be random and surprising on purpose - just like the hate she received during that time. Since she truly had to malintent with the events that occurred, the lashback was unexpected at best. It possibly represents that period of transition for her. Then BBS going further into the topic. She's brilliant!

I definitely think Sweet Carolina is actually a song that Lana and Rob dedicated to Chuck now that she is a mother. I remember her on Instagram saying the song made her cry, and post-partum depression is very common. I think Lana also chose this as the last song because it concludes where she's at now and where her journey is heading. Since she's no longer with Sean, she's no longer moving far away with him and will stay close to her family, hence the line "Don't have to write me a letter". And it seems she's found love in other forms - through family (now with baby Phoenix :wub:) and fulfilling friendships, so that is now her focus as well :oprah: 

Spoiler

Kevin could also be one of Chuck's exes we don't know about :dua:

2 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

…that this record carries (“I get wild and fucking crazy like the colour blue” “once I found my way, but now I am lost”). It’s poignant that it comes after the climax and sudden epiphany of WW that marks a shift in the record’s narrative (and her life, in that way). 

I love this interpretation so much!! Coming through with the analysis as always!

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

R1EEND6.jpg

If this post is remotely related to Lana, I’m VERY intrigued to see how Lana will segue Blue Banisters into a Mike Dean x Emile Haynie collab!

I think Wildflower Wildfire would have likely sounded different had it not been on BB, but can you imagine Lana shifting this era into a cross between these two songs? ICONIC

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

After almost a week, I think I’m finally ready to share my ranking (I’m not including the interlude):

1- Blue Banisters

2- Violets for Roses

3- Cherry Blossom

4- Thunder

5- Living Legend

6- Arcadia

7- If You Lie Down With Me

8- Wildflower Wildfire 

9- Black Bathing Suit

10- Text Book

11- Sweet Carolina

12- Nectar of the Gods

13- Dealer

14- Beautiful

There are no songs bellow 8/10 for me on the album! The only reason why I’m putting Dealer this low is because I really hate Miles Kane’s voice, I can’t get used to it :( I adore Lana’s part though.

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Since we’re speaking about the motherhood themes in BB, I want to bring up the books Lana posted on her Instagram circa 2019 (nfr! era). The images were Women Who Run with the Wolves and Untie the Strong Woman by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. It’s curious that Women Who Run with The Wolves would become one of the central themes of COTCC, with the video for the title track clearly referencing it. And Untie the Strong Woman, a book about motherhood and the mother archetype would come to play in BB.

I personally recommend both books extensively, but god HER MIND:thankyou:

2 hours ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

R1EEND6.jpg

If this post is remotely related to Lana, I’m VERY intrigued to see how Lana will segue Blue Banisters into a Mike Dean x Emile Haynie collab!

I think Wildflower Wildfire would have likely sounded different had it not been on BB, but can you imagine Lana shifting this era into a cross between these two songs? ICONIC

Oh my fuckeen God I knew she was up to something. A kali uchis anderson paak neighbourhood weeknd collab lust for life 2.0 takedown of cancel culture ass America? White French tip stripper nails? Bitch????? Hello????????? This is why Lana hasnt moved to middle America yet bc she had to yass again