Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

6 hours ago, your dealer said:

she's referring to the rise of Lana Del Rey and the way the media and public has scrutinized every single thing she does and says, because of their interest in her, it made her a lot of money. 

stacks = money 

oh jeez after 37000 listens this just unlocked "thanks for the shoes" for me. thanks for buying me these shoes haters. :wowcry:

1 hour ago, Venice said:

Has anyone gone off about Nectar of the Gods? Meaning-wise. Bc I initially thought it was a sex song (I get wild on you, fucking crazy... :creep:) and drugs but also sadness of lost time and ppl etc, but like maybe not. Maybe it's way deeper. That song is so beautiful, it's too much for my mind to process.

I thought I was being sexy and sent it to a boyfriend when it first leaked (with my sexual interpretation at the time lmao), but then he responded with a highly depressing song and I was like?? :what:

I always took the "I get wild on you...I get wild and fucking crazy" as more of an aggression/fighting thing. Especially with the rest of the lyrics in the song, and the way that Lana typically uses the color blue to express sadness. I mean, she did say that she once threw something at a long-term boyfriend :coffee: Lyrically I think that Nectar is one of her saddest songs ever. 

imageproxy.jpg

so... which color is each song from the album? :ma: 

text book - light, watery blue

blue banisters - deep, dark blue

arcadia - cream & brown

the trio - orange

black bathing suit - light & dark blue

if you lie down with me - brown & gold

beautiful - light blue

violets for roses - light blue, green, & gray

dealer - dark, warm-toned green & gold

thunder - brown & light blue

wildflower wildfire - cream

nectar of the gods - cream

living legend - cream & brown

cherry blossom - very light gray

sweet carolina - dark, cool-toned gray

WGe8ynS.gif

1 hour ago, Venice said:

Has anyone gone off about Nectar of the Gods? Meaning-wise. Bc I initially thought it was a sex song (I get wild on you, fucking crazy... :creep:) and drugs but also sadness of lost time and ppl etc, but like maybe not. Maybe it's way deeper. That song is so beautiful, it's too much for my mind to process.

I thought I was being sexy and sent it to a boyfriend when it first leaked (with my sexual interpretation at the time lmao), but then he responded with a highly depressing song and I was like?? :what:

For me, Nectar is a conversation between the person you are and the person you want to be. It’s all about existence and dreams! The chorus makes me think of those scenes in ride of Lana on a motorcycle. It’s just about letting it all loose and being fucking crazy but free :true:

"There's something in the air
I hope it doesn't change, that it's for real
The beginning of something big happening
And by the Merthyr alleys in the streets have ceased
And still, the shadows haunt the avenue
The silence is deafenin'"

This is truly one of the most beautiful things i have ever read and heard in my life. The way she says the last line :trisha:

faSE.gif

Just now, your dealer said:

"There's something in the air
I hope it doesn't change, that it's for real
The beginning of something big happening
And by the Merthyr alleys in the streets have ceased
And still, the shadows haunt the avenue
The silence is deafenin'"

This is truly one of the most beautiful things i have ever read and heard in my life. The way she says the last line :trisha:

The way you daily quote something from that song and it's never out of place <3

Let me run with the wolves, let me do what I do
Let me show you how sadness can turn into happiness
I can turn blue into something

Beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful like you

One of my favorite moments on the album. Gives me chills :wowcry:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, turquoisejewel said:

He's so cute and funny :fabcat:

Speaking of youtube reviews, where the fuck is Steven's 

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

So last night I had enough of feeling sad/good, and wanted to feel sad/angry for a minute, so I watched Fantano's review. All in all, it's his usual shtick, but two things stood out to me.

First, he makes a reference to her 'doing a Yoko' on Dealer, and then quickly follows up by saying that he actually likes Yoko. This is such classic hipster doofus review strategy that even when he catches himself out turning to the oldest cliche in the book (crapping on Yoko will always get a cheap laugh), he doesn't have the self awareness to look into what might be behind her singing. Hence, he continues to be a guy who can't deal with an artist releasing a record that doesn't fit into the phony category he's decided they belong in.

Secondly, he says that her voice just isn't for him. This is something I wish he'd just said up front, and been done with it. I find it bewildering that anybody who doesn't like Lana's voice would have enjoyed any of her records (as he did with at least parts of LFL/NFR/CotCC), but I also can't see why he can't either count himself out from reviewing her albums, or try to imagine what somebody who enjoys her voice might think of it. I hate the modern idea that everything needs to be for everybody, and if it isn't then you can voice your dumb opinion about why it's not for you as though it matters.

Overall, I really envy my best friend and fellow Lana stan, who is never on social media/message boards/review sites, and gets to enjoy the records on his own terms, just like we did when we were fifteen and we literally did not hear what anyone thought of our favourite records unless we hunted down an obscure print magazine from Europe or something. People should be allowed to not like something, and have the grace to not bother talking about it. There's never been an easier time in recent history to ignore any music/TV/films/whatever that you don't care about.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

32 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

so... which color is each song from the album? :ma: 

text book - light, watery blue

blue banisters - deep, dark blue

arcadia - cream & brown

the trio - orange

black bathing suit - light & dark blue

if you lie down with me - brown & gold

beautiful - light blue

violets for roses - light blue, green, & gray

dealer - dark, warm-toned green & gold

thunder - brown & light blue

wildflower wildfire - cream

nectar of the gods - cream

living legend - cream & brown

cherry blossom - very light gray

sweet carolina - dark, cool-toned gray

text book - taupe and light teal

blue banisters - navy blue with an iridescent shimmer

arcadia - pastel yellow, pink and mint

the trio - black

black bathing suit - a misty blue-grey and faded turquoise

if you lie down with me - gold and silver

beautiful - icy blue

violets for roses - spring green and lavender

dealer - neutral orange and brown

thunder - silvery grey

wildflower wildfire - sunset orange

nectar of the gods - washed out golden-yellow

living legend - dark green and bronze

cherry blossom - dark forest green and aquamarine

sweet carolina - pastel yellow

Wait, so she isn't singing "MAGA Rallies" in Violet for Roses' second verse? What are Merthyr alleys?  :scoff::air:

12 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

So last night I had enough of feeling sad/good, and wanted to feel sad/angry for a minute, so I watched Fantano's review. All in all, it's his usual shtick, but two things stood out to me.

First, he makes a reference to her 'doing a Yoko' on Dealer, and then quickly follows up by saying that he actually likes Yoko. This is such classic hipster doofus review strategy that even when he catches himself out turning to the oldest cliche in the book (crapping on Yoko will always get a cheap laugh), he doesn't have the self awareness to look into what might be behind her singing. Hence, he continues to be a guy who can't deal with an artist releasing a record that doesn't fit into the phony category he's decided they belong in.

Secondly, he says that her voice just isn't for him. This is something I wish he'd just said up front, and been done with it. I find it bewildering that anybody who doesn't like Lana's voice would have enjoyed any of her records (as he did with at least parts of LFL/NFR/CotCC), but I also can't see why he can't either count himself out from reviewing her albums, or try to imagine what somebody who enjoys her voice might think of it. I hate the modern idea that everything needs to be for everybody, and if it isn't then you can voice your dumb opinion about why it's not for you as though it matters.

Overall, I really envy my best friend and fellow Lana stan, who is never on social media/message boards/review sites, and gets to enjoy the records on his own terms, just like we did when we were fifteen and we literally did not hear what anyone thought of our favourite records unless we hunted down an obscure print magazine from Europe or something. People should be allowed to not like something, and have the grace to not bother talking about it. There's never been an easier time in recent history to ignore any music/TV/films/whatever that you don't care about.

I 100000% agree. You hit the nail on the head. I actually think that’s one of the major downsides of the otherwise innovation of the Internet and this hyper sense of interconnectedness that accompanies it. The problem is that everybody can comment on something unprovoked, simply because they feel entitled to, and that can become a rhetoric of the “over-culture” — much like how Lana talked about the influence of this over-culture in her Instagram live, it has now become difficult to separate yourself from the over-culture and rid yourself of its impacts (positive or not) on your thoughts.

Props to your best friend, I absolutely wish I could do that (as much as I love being on LanaBoards and staying the most updated on Lana). A life off-the-grid in that way is kind of a dream. 

i think i dislike violets for roses so much because it sounds like an adele song

also when i was stoned i noticed how much better the track would've been if it had a huge orchestral and cinematic production, she definitely pulled this one back

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e