Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

1 hour ago, Poor Stacy said:

Still claiming the title track today (it's hit even harder for me with the full album for some reason??), but Violets For Roses is also doing things to me lately.

Twin!! My two favourite songs at the moment (and the title track has been on repeat since May). VFR deserves more love, the songwriting is so good!

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

23 minutes ago, Fart Deco said:

Black Bathing Suit is the ying to White Dress yang.

exactly :agree: yesterday I listened to White Dress / What Happened When I Left You / Black Bathing Suit and it was a religious experience

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

On 10/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, longtimeman said:

So last night I had enough of feeling sad/good, and wanted to feel sad/angry for a minute, so I watched Fantano's review. All in all, it's his usual shtick, but two things stood out to me.

First, he makes a reference to her 'doing a Yoko' on Dealer, and then quickly follows up by saying that he actually likes Yoko. This is such classic hipster doofus review strategy that even when he catches himself out turning to the oldest cliche in the book (crapping on Yoko will always get a cheap laugh), he doesn't have the self awareness to look into what might be behind her singing. Hence, he continues to be a guy who can't deal with an artist releasing a record that doesn't fit into the phony category he's decided they belong in.

Secondly, he says that her voice just isn't for him. This is something I wish he'd just said up front, and been done with it. I find it bewildering that anybody who doesn't like Lana's voice would have enjoyed any of her records (as he did with at least parts of LFL/NFR/CotCC), but I also can't see why he can't either count himself out from reviewing her albums, or try to imagine what somebody who enjoys her voice might think of it. I hate the modern idea that everything needs to be for everybody, and if it isn't then you can voice your dumb opinion about why it's not for you as though it matters.

Overall, I really envy my best friend and fellow Lana stan, who is never on social media/message boards/review sites, and gets to enjoy the records on his own terms, just like we did when we were fifteen and we literally did not hear what anyone thought of our favourite records unless we hunted down an obscure print magazine from Europe or something. People should be allowed to not like something, and have the grace to not bother talking about it. There's never been an easier time in recent history to ignore any music/TV/films/whatever that you don't care about.

10 seconds into the video I just turned it off and gave him a thumbs down.

He doesn't like female artists. He destroyed Fiona "Bolt cutters" album. 

That peenie head basically reviews female albums for the clicks and monitize money he gets from the video. He dislikes Lana's voice and he's reviewing her albums? What's the point? 

25 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Do we know why Dealer doesn’t have the « feat. Miles Kane » mention? She always did put the other artist.s’s name.s on all of her collabs… :assad:

Tell Breaking Up Slowly :bebe:

12 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

True.

And in Honeymoon (probably the album where she references “blue” the most) it seems that it’s used to represent escapism and an overall state of feverish dream-like oblivion, where nothing is truly palpable or concrete.

Fun (and maybe useless) fact:

Total number of times she says Blue:

Honeymoon: 24

Blue Banisters: 25

Total number of songs Blue is mentioned:

Honeymoon: 7

Blue Banisters: 6

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

3 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

That peenie head basically reviews female albums for the clicks and monitize money he gets from the video. He dislikes Lana's voice and he's reviewing her albums? What's the point? 

peenie head :trisha:

faSE.gif

The first song Text Book mentiones a thunderbird, in the last song Sweet Carolina she sings "baby blues". A thunderbird and "baby blue" occur in the unreleased song Baby Blue Love , recorded in 2010. Also in Daddy Issues (also from 2010) she sings "baby blue" and as we know Text Book is about daddy issues. ;)

5 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

Y’all reaching. He gives female artists super high scores all the time. He just doesnt like her music. It’s not that deep. It’s one person’s opinion. Stop being so triggered by meh reviews. 

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

I feel like Thunder is the lyrical older sister to Shades Of Cool. They’re both love songs dedicated to troubled men who Lana knows are flawed and distant and will probably never satisfy her in the long term. 

But Shades feels a little more tortured and depressed, and the haunting instrumentation has a lot to do with that. She understands the man is unfixable and she’ll never understand him, but she still calls him her baby and vies for his attention over other women. 

Thunder’s a little more grown up, where she again accepts he’s unfixable and distant. But this time, she doesn’t try to love him despite his flaws and compete for his attention. This time she’s just like fuck it, I care about you but you have issues so you might as well leave like you always do. She’s at peace with their dynamic. She’s not chasing him anymore. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me