Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

It's probably been subsequently noted, but a week or so ago I said there were no classic rock era lyrical references on BB, but I was wrong. 'Comfortably numb' of course is a direct Pink Floyd 'The Wall' reference, one I should have picked up on when the 3 singles were released. This is how to do it right. Have it genuinely mean something within the context of the song and not just be a throw-away line. 

7 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

It's probably been subsequently noted, but a week or so ago I said there were no classic rock era lyrical references on BB, but I was wrong. 'Comfortably numb' of course is a direct Pink Floyd 'The Wall' reference, one I should have picked up on when the 3 singles were released. This is how to do it right. Have it genuinely mean something within the context of the song and not just be a throw-away line. 

also ‘Lithium’ while referring to the drug, could also be a reference to the Nirvana song..not sure if you classify Nirvana as classic rock though 

"Don’t forget me"

19 minutes ago, Niko Dealergo said:

also ‘Lithium’ while referring to the drug, could also be a reference to the Nirvana song..not sure if you classify Nirvana as classic rock though 

Thanks, Niko. Another member also pointed out 'Mr. Brightside' in 'Thunder,' but I'd consider both bands 'alternative,' and not from the so-called classic rock era, which I guess would span from 1962 through 1979 or 1980. Determining that is difficult, with the rise of Punk in America and England about 1975-1976, which eventually morphed briefly into New Wave, which was a short but exciting time in popular music. 

We do know Lana is a Nirvana fan, so we can start looking for post-classic rock era references as well. 

And since she's covering the 'American songbook,' we may start to see references to songs from the 1920s-1960s. 

On 11/6/2021 at 6:04 AM, Cherry Blossom said:

i cant believe dealer was nearly track eight on chemtrails 

that means if the tracklist was the same as the final one, it would be between NAWWAL and Yosemite…

she is such a troll :willcut:

As much as I love Dealer, it really didn’t belong on Chemtrails. It would have overshadowed the whole thing. On BB, it’s just perfect to shake things up a bit, midalbum (plus it’s the culmination of the heartbreak that is going to inevitably happen  with If You Lie Down With me and the songs after. 
Chemtrails isn’t perfect although it’s almost there, and it could have been if she had included one or two sexy songs like TJF. 

I love the way she says “And don’t say you’re over me “ in iyldwm :ohno:

this song deserves a video , didn’t she say that she was thinking of making one? :crossed:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

1 hour ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

As much as I love Dealer, it really didn’t belong on Chemtrails. It would have overshadowed the whole thing. On BB, it’s just perfect to shake things up a bit, midalbum (plus it’s the culmination of the heartbreak that is going to inevitably happen  with If You Lie Down With me and the songs after. 
Chemtrails isn’t perfect although it’s almost there, and it could have been if she had included one or two sexy songs like TJF. 

I think it's interesting how many BB tracks could have comfortably fit on COCC and sustained the mood---Arcadia, VFR, CB, 'Thunder,' SC, 'Beautiful.' 

12 minutes ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

I love the way she says “And don’t say you’re over me “ in iyldwm :ohno:

this song deserves a video , didn’t she say that she was thinking of making one? :crossed:

I can't decide whether I love IYLDWM or VFR more. Even if I hadn't heard the 3 singles way before, they would still be my favorites. 

Okay after listening to this album at least 20 times, i can firmly say that this is clearly not her strongest album. The songs are amazing and it’s cohesive but i think the issue is the tracklist.  i think cherry blossom should’ve been somewhere else in the tracklist because it’s honestly not easy to listen to after living legend. living legend is pretty slow and i’d expect something else coming after it but it’s another song that starts with piano and it’s in the same key, which just isnt my favorite. it’s in no way on ultraviolence tier. chemtrails on the other hand was amazing, almost perfect minus the collabs, which i will forever erase off my library. chemtrails was a cultural reset but blue banisters couldn’t possibly live up to its legacy. 

giphy.gif