Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

3 hours ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

I think if I was Lana's manager I would have thrown myself in front of a truck. I don't have patience for laziness and poor visuals. 

you do know he's allowed to quit, right? :wtf3: he wouldnt have to fucking kill himself to escape lana. :awk: anyway i dont think we exactly need to put him on suicide watch over lana's marketing decisions just yet. :eek:

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Crazy theory

what if Dealer is about her mother?

”please don’t try my father either,

he ain’t been home for years

but we know Rob and Lana see each other regularly. Maybe she was talking about the house she used to live with her parents years ago.

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

7 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I know people around here act as if it was super cewl n edgy and a sign of advanced artistry, but that's just what happens if you don't do nothing beyond the album itself.

Most indie artists with a much smaller target-audience put more effort into their promotion, and it's not like music videos, performancea and photoshoots are just marketing - it's also a way to artistically express urself.

Lana herself used to absolutely rule this aspect of visual artistry, no matter if it was about big budget stuff like Blue Jeans or her homemade videos during ger Lizzie-era. 

Now most she does in this department seems  uninspired and halfassed. Noone but fans who force themselves to like it care for content like the BB-mv, that NFR/B/HIAB thing or the LMLYLAW performance. 

I'm not saying she should force herself to do something she doesn't want to, but it's not suprising that the attention for her output sinks when she obviously doesn't care.

And that decay of visual quality is not "niche". Lana just does not care about it anymore. It's fine, but let's not overglamourize it. A lot of small "niche" artists who really want to create something beautiful to accompany their music manage to do with a much lower budget. Because they actually burn for it. Lana is past that point, and with both herself and her fanbase taking her way too serious, she now does things like the BB-video or the CoCC-cover.

I’m not sure how you read that much into my comment,  but I think even if Lana did more promotion she’d never be as popular as Adele or Taylor, Adele barely does anything but release the same old black and white music video, visual imagery… she’s hardly a bastion of art.  Lana has put effort in right up to the Chemtrails video, since then she’s had a break probably because she doesn’t have a high budget and because she is effected by negative press, so the low key albums and lack of promotion are a personal decision and probably her not being ‘lazy’ or ‘doesn’t care anymore’.  By niche she has a dedicated fan base that appreciate her talent that keep the wheels moving I’m not saying that it’s niche that she has decided to do the bare  minimum. 

it’s just interesting how interesting that the general public have consumed Adele and Taylor whole without question. But Lana it’s like ‘meh’ ..I guess the former are more palatable I don’t know.   

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

5 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

What even is the point in this post besides dragging Adele and Taylor? I’m tired of people acting like popular artists can’t make good music just because they are popular. And Lana stans always act like she’s some underground artist when she’s not :toofunny: Born To Die is one of the best selling albums of all time, nearly every album of hers has over a billion streams, she’s been receiving way more critical acclaim lately, and Dealer is going viral on social media. It’s just childish. You can say Lana deserves more praise and support without dragging two other talented women that constantly uplift Lana :what:

I’m not actually personally attacking them as I’m a fan of both, I just think Lana deserves more appreciation.  It’s a comparison really of how some are praised and equally talented artists are just left at the curb.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

23 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

are any of those snippets on degree worth anything or is it just random high pitched fag voices as usual?  :eartha2:

well idk bc when i listened i rly thought they sounded like lana especially when the vocals are more clear like on the ‘on route’ one when it says ‘with me..’ but everyone else says they sound fake so :awkney: it’s a good imitation if so though

RVhKIwP.gif

11 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Adele and Taylor getting all the fame and support Lana should be getting…just makes me sick. But then again being a niche artist has more charm and artists tend to produce the best music when under less pressure. 

But one day down the road of history, they'll be seen as the Pop Princesses they are, and Lana will be a Legend, an artist's artist, which they certainly are not.

Right now, Lana does have a world of fans, literally. Those that can only follow vapid commercial trends, the loss is theirs. Let them sleep on. 

57 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I’m not sure how you read that much into my comment,  but I think even if Lana did more promotion she’d never be as popular as Adele or Taylor, Adele barely does anything but release the same old black and white music video, visual imagery… she’s hardly a bastion of art.  Lana has put effort in right up to the Chemtrails video, since then she’s had a break probably because she doesn’t have a high budget and because she is effected by negative press, so the low key albums and lack of promotion are a personal decision and probably her not being ‘lazy’ or ‘doesn’t care anymore’.  By niche she has a dedicated fan base that appreciate her talent that keep the wheels moving I’m not saying that it’s niche that she has decided to do the bare  minimum. 

it’s just interesting how interesting that the general public have consumed Adele and Taylor whole without question. But Lana it’s like ‘meh’ ..I guess the former are more palatable I don’t know.   

Because they're Shepherd's Pie, and Lana is Beef Wellington. 

Edited by Vertimus

11 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Adele and Taylor getting all the fame and support Lana should be getting…just makes me sick. But then again being a niche artist has more charm and artists tend to produce the best music when under less pressure. 

Its literally Lana fault at this point... She doesnt even try :awk:

Lust For Dead   large.gif

8 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I know people around here act as if it was super cewl n edgy and a sign of advanced artistry, but that's just what happens if you don't do nothing beyond the album itself.

Most indie artists with a much smaller target-audience put more effort into their promotion, and it's not like music videos, performancea and photoshoots are just marketing - it's also a way to artistically express urself.

Lana herself used to absolutely rule this aspect of visual artistry, no matter if it was about big budget stuff like Blue Jeans or her homemade videos during ger Lizzie-era. 

Now most she does in this department seems  uninspired and halfassed. Noone but fans who force themselves to like it care for content like the BB-mv, that NFR/B/HIAB thing or the LMLYLAW performance. 

I'm not saying she should force herself to do something she doesn't want to, but it's not suprising that the attention for her output sinks when she obviously doesn't care.

And that decay of visual quality is not "niche". Lana just does not care about it anymore. It's fine, but let's not overglamourize it. A lot of small "niche" artists who really want to create something beautiful to accompany their music manage to do with a much lower budget. Because they actually burn for it. Lana is past that point, and with both herself and her fanbase taking her way too serious, she now does things like the BB-video or the CoCC-cover.

I think in the way she does without promotion, expensive video productions and aesthetics, she also makes a certain criticism of today's artist marketing and the whole machinery in music business. BB is also about how she was raised by the music industry and then dropped again. With this album, she wants to express that she can also make it on her own, that she doesn't just want to fulfill expectations, but goes her own way. She no longer wants to be dependent on sales figures, but to be taken seriously as an artist.

5 minutes ago, lustforlife said:

MOJO Magazine is OUT today... Anyone on UK please get hands on this and tell lana highlights :party:

im in the uk!! I’d totally get it , but i won’t bc it’s you asking .:party:

RVhKIwP.gif

I just wanted to say. i think that she's just so god damn SMART/INTELLIGENT etc. there's something so wholesome about how her records always manage to grow and push past the previous record. the GROWTH is just real inspiring to watch. and i know that it's like so far off, but knowing she's a fellow water sign/rising, it just kinda makes me feel less alone cus she probably gets it emotionally 

UV/Honeymoon

On 11/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, Super Movie said:

You provoked the lurkers :bebe:

But anyways, for me, I'm finding a lot of these songs getting better with age. I've grown more accustomed to the only piano version of Beautiful, although I definitely prefer the string version. I think my favorite part of that song is actually the intro with that trickling piano. Right now my most streamed songs are IYLDWM (I'm a sucker for those horns), Black Bathing Suit and Dealer. I think that might be my top three right now, not in order. 

I've spun NFR a couple of times lately, to see if maybe I am over-reacting to BB. NFR is great. But BB is her absolute masterpiece, imho. I liken the two records to REM Out Of Time and Automatic For The People. Or Hitchcock and Lynch. BB (Automatic, Lynch) is darker, more mysterious, and simply beautiful. I'm surprised that I'm not seeing 5-star reviews. Joni Mitchell would simply weep if she heard this, especially on the last 3 songs. I've read many comments about how it gets "samey" near the end. I do see the last 3 songs as being thematically and sonically linked, and it's a stunning ending. I agree with the person(s) who mentioned that her voice has never sounded greater, and the piano (production) here is also the best ever. I'm actually finding the NFR/Chemtrails production to be slightly .....cold, now that I've spun BB shitloads of times. 

A.K.A. Fuckin' Mr. Brightside.