Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

866 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

Career Highlights: Thunder, Cherry Blossom, Black Bathing Suit, Blue Banisters and Sweet Carolina

Great songs: Arcadia, If You Lie Down With Me, Text Book and Wildflower Wildfire

Good songs: Living Legends, Violet for Roses, and Nectar of the Gods

Campy: Dealer

Delete bestie: Beautiful, The Trio

Albums ranking:

1. Unreleased TLSP collab album

2. HM

3. NFR

4. COCC

5. AKA

6. UV

7. PD

8. BTD

9. LFL

10. BB

11. Sirens (just cause I haven't heard it yet)

On 1/9/2022 at 4:13 PM, Skuj said:

Whoever this is, I bet he is so vain. 

While I cannot comprehend how anyone can feel this way about my fav LDR album, I'm always interested in reading the various and wide-ranging reactions to her work.

So.....er......thanks. 

I can't either, but we all have different taste. Sometimes it takes a while--years, even--before a listener can 'hear' a song or album. As I wrote about 6 weeks ago, I have friends who claim that they cannot hear melodies in IYLDWM and VFR. 

I haven't tired of BB at all yet, and it's now right up there with my other favorite Lana albums. The songs 'release energy,' for lack of a better way of expressing it, there's a catharsis for the listener that happens, like it does with all her best songs and albums. And I can think of two of her albums which this was barely the case, and thus I rarely listen to them. 

Omg this album really is so fucking good, I just had such an amazing walk and listen and it hit harder than ever.

There's such a dark but beautiful narrative woven throughout. It's like Lana's accepting the fact that there's a real sickness to the world, and she's choosing to distance herself from it and be more selective with the love that she surrounds herself with, all while making the themes both personal and universal.  She really outsmarted the critics with her form of revenge.

:lange::wowcry::cryney2::oprah::true::xcry:

after my own personal disappointment when it came to Chemtrails (my least fave lana album, hasn't grown on me at all) its such a relief to me that im still enjoying and loving Blue Banisters sooo much :cryney2:

Dealer is just everything i love and more!! Black Bathing Suit is a really fun and thematically interesting song, and there's so much variation in tempo and tone throughout which i looooove!! Wildflower Wildfire practically got me through all of 2021. Beautiful is one of my favourite songs on the album, i understand why other people dont love it but its a really really precious song to me :flutter: IYLDWM is a song i like listening to on the train home from work at like midnight; after a loooong, tiring, busy day it just feels like a warm, gentle, comforting song to settle into. Thunder is another warm and comforting song to me, but it also reminds me of the hazy endings of many beer-soaked nights where you're down to your last two cigarettes so you smoke them with someone else over an honest conversation and a room temperature pint. Arcadia has those beautiful strings to give it a lovely cinematic feel, perfect when im walking through the city at night. i could go on and on but even the songs that aren't my faves (Blue Banisters, Cherry Blossom, etc) still have a place in my life and there's always a "right time" for them.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 11:03 AM, TrashMagiq said:

It's hitting me that this is my least favorite Lana album bsdjfh. It has some songs that are amazing to me like top level, but this is the first Lana album where there are several songs that I just don't care for. Songs like Dealer, Thunder, NOTG, Black Bathing Suit, IYLDNTM and Living Legend are amazing to me, absolutely love those songs, but songs like Violets for Roses and Beautiful are just not pleasent to listen to to me. And then you got songs like Text Book, Sweet Carolina, WFWF and the title track that I think are good songs but they really just don't compare to her other work. I'm never like "oh, I really wanna listen to Wildflower Wildfire right now!. Also the fact that she included songs we've had for so long makes them less exciting to me cause I've already had my moment with them. At first I really liked this album as a whole, but the more I listen to it the more I'm just :// about it (as a whole). With COCC it's very different. I didn't like COCC as much as NFR but I find myself listening to COCC a lot, it's very replayable to me and I like it a lot, even though I think Blue Banisters has higher higs. So yeah, BB least fav Lana album. At the bottom. 

Yeah, basically I like the songs in BB but not BB as a whole..and yeah, the inclusion of un-remastered songs we’ve had for years (at least it seems like it) makes it feel half-assed 

sgopYhV.gif

Thunder IS a career highlight! It took me a while, but I'm able to enjoy the final version without comparing it to the demo. My personal favorites are Dealer, Thunder, Text Book, BB, BBB, and Cherry Blossom. I will admit that at first I was also nervous about the unreleased songs being added, but they fit so well within the album for me that it doesn't effect my listening. It doesn't feel half-assed to me, it just feels like Lana thought the album was a perfect home for the songs. I think there are a lot of tracks from other albums that were intended for previous eras that we will never know of

giphy.gif 

I’m interested to see how my relationship with this record changes as time passes. 

Currently, it’s my least listened to LDR record, and it’s hard to say whether it will grow on me more or not. I love soft, piano-driven music, so I’m surprised at how little replay I’ve gotten out of it, and I’m not sure why that is. 

Maybe I visit it rarely because I had already heard much of the tracklist years in advance? It’s odd because I find Wildflower Wildfire to be one of the strongest tracks she’s ever written, so I dunno. I definitely have critiques of the record, but I don’t know if they’re any more or less prevalent on any other of her records. 

I almost feel that the album is akin to Honeymoon, in a way. Both (in my opinion) require a specific mindset to enjoy fully, so maybe that’s why I don’t have a strong affinity to the record…yet

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

11 hours ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

I’m interested to see how my relationship with this record changes as time passes. 

Currently, it’s my least listened to LDR record, and it’s hard to say whether it will grow on me more or not. I love soft, piano-driven music, so I’m surprised at how little replay I’ve gotten out of it, and I’m not sure why that is. 

Maybe I visit it rarely because I had already heard much of the tracklist years in advance? It’s odd because I find Wildflower Wildfire to be one of the strongest tracks she’s ever written, so I dunno. I definitely have critiques of the record, but I don’t know if they’re any more or less prevalent on any other of her records. 

I almost feel that the album is akin to Honeymoon, in a way. Both (in my opinion) require a specific mindset to enjoy fully, so maybe that’s why I don’t have a strong affinity to the record…yet

Same here. I think it may have something to do with already having heard a good amount of tracks before release, and also the mindset thing you mentioned. Because while Honeymoon is usually my fave, it tends to change depending if I want to commit to entering that world if that makes sense. I think it’s the same for Blue Banisters, there’s just so much to unpack and a lot of it to me seemed more experimental. I feel like time also has a lot to do with it and perhaps later in the future the appeal will come back times 10. 

All I wanna do is get high by the beach

On 1/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, TrashMagiq said:

It's hitting me that this is my least favorite Lana album bsdjfh. It has some songs that are amazing to me like top level, but this is the first Lana album where there are several songs that I just don't care for. Songs like Dealer, Thunder, NOTG, Black Bathing Suit, IYLDNTM and Living Legend are amazing to me, absolutely love those songs, but songs like Violets for Roses and Beautiful are just not pleasent to listen to to me. And then you got songs like Text Book, Sweet Carolina, WFWF and the title track that I think are good songs but they really just don't compare to her other work. I'm never like "oh, I really wanna listen to Wildflower Wildfire right now!”. Also the fact that she included songs we've had for so long makes them less exciting to me cause I've already had my moment with them. At first I really liked this album as a whole, but the more I listen to it the more I'm just :// about it (as a whole). With COCC it's very different. I didn't like COCC as much as NFR but I find myself listening to COCC a lot, it's very replayable to me and I like it a lot, even though I think Blue Banisters has higher higs. So yeah, BB least fav Lana album. At the bottom. 

Apart that I'm often like "oh, I really wanna listen to Wildflower Wildfire right now!” I agree with you.

This album is my strong least fav, the songs doesn't fit together, bunch of them are regressive (IYLDWM, Violets, Nectar, Cherry Blossom) there's songs I don't even like (Arcadia, Beautiful), but some tracks are career highlights (WFWF, Blue Banisters, Text Book). I really don't like to listen to it as a whole. Even BTD (that was used to be my least fav) is way more great to listen as a complete album.

I think she just wanted to quickly complete her deal with Interscope with this one.

But 2021 was a great LDR year thanks to COCC that is my absolute fav album from her now (I'm still deeply moved when I listen to it).

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg