Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

866 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

11 minutes ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Enough time has passed.

This album was absolutely terrible and it's astonishing how this was even approved to be released. There is quite literally 0 redeeming qualities about this album besides Dealer which is an obvious filler song... This should have been an EP at best :horror:

Song rating + tiny review for each song)

Reveal hidden contents

Text Book: 2/10 (one of the worst songs of her career)

Blue Banisters: 5/10 (Sweet but extremely boring, I can never finish this song because it drags half way through)

Arcadia: 4/10 (Worst vocals of her career and simply uninteresting) 

Interlude - The Trio: 7/10 (Useless but a good break from those 3 extremely draining songs above)

Black Bathing Suit: 3/10 (Horribly produced song about being fat and being rich so you don't care about the haters yet a song was made about it.. sloppy)

If You Lie Down With Me: 5/10 (Doesn't stand out in her discography but it stands out in this album even though I can not remember what this song sounds like at all)

Beautiful: 5/10 (Stupid song but I really like the melody)

Violets For Roses: 3/10 (Stupid song)

Dealer: 9/10 (Good song, very enjoyable and the streams how that in comparison to everything else off the record)

Thunder: 5/10 (It's fine.. I prefer the surf beats of the unreleased version honestly but I never really cared for this song even when it was unreleased)

Wildflower Wildfire: 6/10 (I like it)

Nectar of the Gods: 5/10 (When I said I wanted this released I meant I wanted it reworked... not a YTtoMP3 concept demo being released in horrible quality)

Living Legend: 4/10 (Why was this put on the album?)

Cherry Blossom: 6/10 (Underrated song on the album that needed a rework)

Sweet Carolina: 6/10 (I like it)

Lyrical Rating: 5/10

Productional Rating: 2/10

Overall rating: 5/10

Top 3 songs: Dealer, Wildflower Wildfire, Sweet Carolina

Bottom 3 songs: Text book, Violet For Roses, Black Bathing Suit

if this album is “terrible” explain this: 

All roads that lead to you as integral to me as arteries
That pump the blood that flows straight to the heart of me

or this: 

Ever since I fell out of love with you, I fell back in love with me
And boy, does it feel sweet, like a summer breeze
Ever since I fell out of love with you, I fell back in love with the city
Like the Paramount sign sparkling, sparkling just for me

:trisha:

˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

last fm 

soundcloud

1. Wildflower Wildfire
  2. Dealer
  3. Black Bathing Suit
  4. If You Lie Down with Me
  5. Thunder (considering the demo)
  6. Violets for Roses
  7. Nectar of the Gods
  8. Living Legend
  9. Text Book
  10. Blue Banisters
  11. Arcadia
  12. Sweet Carolina
  13. Beautiful
  14. Cherry Blossom
  15. Interlude - The Trio

I really think that it's overhated ngl. Yeah sometimes the tracklist feels wonky, sometimes the album goes too slow, but by no means I think it's a bad record. Yeah it lacks bops but it doesn't lack quality per se. Some lines should've been rewritten or removed (Picasso line in Beautiful, some parts of title track etc.) but it's not a big deal I guess. In the end it's what Lana wanted for that album and I love its intimate nature.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

13 minutes ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Enough time has passed.

This album was absolutely terrible and it's astonishing how this was even approved to be released. There is quite literally 0 redeeming qualities about this album besides Dealer which is an obvious filler song... This should have been an EP at best :horror:

Reveal hidden contents

Blue Banisters: 5/10 (Sweet but extremely boring, I can never finish this song because it drags half way through)

Interlude - The Trio: 7/10 (Useless but a good break from those 3 extremely draining songs above)

Black Bathing Suit: 3/10 (Horribly produced song about being fat and being rich so you don't care about the haters yet a song was made about it.. sloppy)

If You Lie Down With Me: 5/10 (Doesn't stand out in her discography but it stands out in this album even though I can not remember what this song sounds like at all)

Dealer: 9/10 (Good song, very enjoyable and the streams how that in comparison to everything else off the record)

Thunder: 5/10 (It's fine.. I prefer the surf beats of the unreleased version honestly but I never really cared for this song even when it was unreleased)

Nectar of the Gods: 5/10 (When I said I wanted this released I meant I wanted it reworked... not a YTtoMP3 concept demo being released in horrible quality)

i just know that many people who will see this comment will not upvote it but they really wanted to and i agree.... i can see this project as EP at the best and even then it doesnt have higlights... i may see only 1-2 songs off of it as a deluxe tracks for ocean (counting songs made 2020-2021), we would lost nothing if this wouldve never came out, only songs i may enjoy are blue banisters and black bathing suit but after time they have 0 replay value, anyways it just needed to happen ocean blvd to happen :oprah3: 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

9 minutes ago, bambi eyes said:

if this album is “terrible” explain this: 

or this: 

Ever since I fell out of love with you, I fell back in love with me
And boy, does it feel sweet, like a summer breeze
Ever since I fell out of love with you, I fell back in love with the city
Like the Paramount sign sparkling, sparkling just for me

:trisha:

These are honestly some of my least favorite lyrics of her entire career :tsk: I just don't like them, it's like they are trying to be complex but they're not... 

The other lyric you listed isn't bad or anything just unextraordinary and she has better lyrics from every other album she's done :tsk: 

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

This album is by no means my favorite record of hers, and I think ocean Blvd is miles better than BB. However, I LOVE If You Lie Down With Me. Maybe cuz it’s an older song and it reminds me of her earlier material, but imo the lyrics are very classic Lana. Idk if that’s a hot take or not :eek:

Thank heavens y'all brought the "mixtape" derogatory misconception to the table.

Why is a mixtape inferior to an album? Just remember Charli XCX's mixtapes Number 1 Angel and Pop 2 are right there and they've been often considered as superior than some of her actual albums.

A mixtape and an album are not quite different from each other aside from its denomination but it's literally the same way to create them, both could or could not feature artists, spawn singles, have a tour for further promotion, get music videos, scrapped tracks...

Little side note - mixtapes' most notable difference with albums is that the former are usually less restrictive than albums in terms of creative freedom, but not even that is a requisite.

Sorry for the topic deviation, just in case.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

6 hours ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

Enough time has passed.

Reveal hidden contents

honestly, i agree, i like blue banisters, i suppose, but it feels like her weakest, most non-sensible project regarding how it was structured, blue banisters' best songs are the ones which were actually recorded for the album, like text book, blue banisters, and wildflower wildfire, but at the same time, we have beautiful and violets for roses which i don't think i've listened to since listening to the album for the first time

lana's decision to release some of her old, leaked songs would've been a lot more of a tolerable idea for me if she didn't just release them as they were, nearly a decade old, and supposedly youtube rips, i personally think it was very lazy of her to do this, she didn't even go out of her way to try to find the original files, i feel like they should've been completely reworked, you can still hear the drums of thunder's demo in the album version, nectar of the gods sticks out so obviously on the same album with songs like blue banisters and arcadia because her musical, vocal, and songwriting style has changed so much over the past decade, i just don't understand what the intention was with a lot of the decisions of this album, some of the songs are deeply personal and are the stand-out tracks of the album, such as blue banisters and wildflower wildfire, and some are just... complete filler which make no sense with the narrative that lana was trying to go for with this album, as far as i can tell, like dealer, thunder, the trio, and beautiful

i can respect and appreciate the fact that lana wanted this album to be an opportunity to bare her soul and to dive into the more personal aspects of her songwriting and experiences, but it just falls flat with this album, in my opinion, and a lot of it is because she just chose the wrong songs to put on this album, i feel like DYKTTATUOB accomplishes this goal a LOT better, ocean boulevard really does feel like the album blue banisters is meant to be

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

40 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

honestly, i agree, i like blue banisters, i suppose, but it feels like her weakest, most non-sensible project regarding how it was structured, blue banisters' best songs are the ones which were actually recorded for the album, like text book, blue banisters, and wildflower wildfire, but at the same time, we have beautiful and violets for roses which i don't think i've listened to since listening to the album for the first time

lana's decision to release some of her old, leaked songs would've been a lot more of a tolerable idea for me if she didn't just release them as they were, nearly a decade old, and supposedly youtube rips, i personally think it was very lazy of her to do this, she didn't even go out of her way to try to find the original files, i feel like they should've been completely reworked, you can still hear the drums of thunder's demo in the album version, nectar of the gods sticks out so obviously on the same album with songs like blue banisters and arcadia because her musical, vocal, and songwriting style has changed so much over the past decade, i just don't understand what the intention was with a lot of the decisions of this album, some of the songs are deeply personal and are the stand-out tracks of the album, such as blue banisters and wildflower wildfire, and some are just... complete filler which make no sense with the narrative that lana was trying to go for with this album, as far as i can tell, like dealer, thunder, the trio, and beautiful

i can respect and appreciate the fact that lana wanted this album to be an opportunity to bare her soul and to dive into the more personal aspects of her songwriting and experiences, but it just falls flat with this album, in my opinion, and a lot of it is because she just chose the wrong songs to put on this album, i feel like DYKTTATUOB accomplishes this goal a LOT better, ocean boulevard really does feel like the album blue banisters is meant to be

I don’t think an album by any artist has to a narrative, a concept, or overall cohesion. It may purport to have one of all of those, but that’s another issue. I like a handful of songs on each of Lana’s albums and I don’t ask for or expect more than that. If I find more than a few on an album of hers, great. 

As to her poor vocals on ‘Arcadia’ and (perhaps) others on BB, she doesn’t have the strongest voice to begin with. This should be apparent to at least her older Stans by now. 

She’s in the Debbie Harry/Stevie Nicks category, not in the Whitney Houston/Linda Ronstadt/Ann Wilson/Tori

Amos category.

Outside of the studio, her vocal ability is greatly reduced, as most live footage reveals. 

why is there so much bb hate, i love it
it was the first lana vinyl i ever bought too
before ocean blvd, it was tied with UV for my favorite album, now it's tied with NFR tho (below UV, HM, and OB)

before ocean blvd, it was her best lyricism to date, and holds some of my all time favorite songs in it like Violets For Roses, Thunder, Living Legend, etc.

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

2 minutes ago, ivory almond said:

why is there so much bb hate, i love it
it was the first lana vinyl i ever bought too
before ocean blvd, it was tied with UV for my favorite album, now it's tied with NFR tho (below UV, HM, and OB)

before ocean blvd, it was her best lyricism to date, and holds some of my all time favorite songs in it like Violets For Roses, Thunder, Living Legend, etc.

I love it too. Seriously. 

12 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

As to her poor vocals on ‘Arcadia’ and (perhaps) others on BB, she doesn’t have the strongest voice to begin with. This should be apparent to at least her older Stans by now. 

She’s in the Debbie Harry/Stevie Nicks category, not in the Whitney Houston/Linda Ronstadt/Ann Wilson/Tori

Amos category.

Outside of the studio, her vocal ability is greatly reduced, as most live footage reveals. 

I mean sure she doesn't have the vocal range of Whitney Houston but she has a beautiful voice and still has the ability to sound good. She sounds absolutely terrible during some parts of Arcadia. She could've easily redone some takes and cleaned it up but probs kept the terrible vocal takes to make the song more honest or whatever. The reason why she sounds bad on Arcadia is not because her vocal ability is greatly reduced. That's a ridiculous statement.

qfrWuBl.png