Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

866 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

Objective truth: 

1 hour ago, lmdr said:

I’m glad we’re all on the same page that Arcadia has some of her worst vocals ever

Very very weird personal opinion:

1 hour ago, CinnamonGay said:

:makeup: not when OTTR exists

It's only my dark city, only my new man...

Cherry blossom, NOTG and living legend are cute for unreleased demos but NOT for release on an album... they should have at least been properly mixed or reworked. And despite the fact these 3 songs desperately needed reworked, she chose THUNDER which didnt even need it. Furthermore, she could have at least re-recorded the vocals for Thunder so there wouldn't be audible mic bleed from the original demo (which actually had superior production??). Overall the album features some of her worst vocal performances - so many off key and off beat moments on songs like Arcadia. The mixing on the album as a whole is appalling. Textbook , Black Bathing Suit and Wildflower Wildfire also feature dreadful percussion which totally ruin any vibe the songs had going for them.  I have so many issues with Blue Banisters - definitely my LEAST favourite album Lana has ever released by a mile. I appreciate she was going for an imperfect, messier, more experimental sound but still... Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd achieved the same vibe but a million times better.

tumblr_mx1rynpDqV1rh0xc7o1_500.gif

1 hour ago, CinnamonGay said:

:makeup: not when OTTR exists

me when i’m being subjective of course 

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

11 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

Well let’s see with a record as conceptual as Paradise we had the ever growing list of literary tie ins, samples that evoked an atmosphere, reverb on tha vocals (this one is an lol) like it’s the small things. If you don’t see it idk how to help you tbh. But there is a very clear shift in her lyricism and its POV. She began a cultural renaissance with her early work and now… we get a few nods to old music over a piano and dead hot air. I know Tunnel isn’t all piano ballads, and I know it’s not all about her family and friends. But for the last three albums it’s clear that she is no longer interested in writing about things that aren’t right in front of her, or provoking her. I mean she used to make the samples intelligent. Now she just rips things from YouTube and sings something over it. Idk. Not trying to dog on either style. But I just think it’s insane one could say Lana never had a focus on “world-building”, and “atmosphere” when we have single-handedly witnessed Bel Air.mp3….Yayo.mp3.. etc! The only atmosphere you will find on Chemtrails is the low hum of a humidifier in their recording studio…And the hot air of Jack’s piss poor mixing skills. :eartha: I mean the closest we get now is Jack leaving in a little vape puff crackle to try and emulate an atmosphere of some sort 

I think it's this: she used to be writing from her own experience but in a manner that was for a public, an audience, of some kind. In other words, she extrapolated her personal experience into something many or most could relate to, made it 'universal,' and that was part of her genius in that era. 

But since NFR! she's been 'inward gazing' a lot more and 'outward looking' a lot less. 

So I get the sense that she's now writing 100% what she wants to write, produce, and release, free of any feeling that she has to write for an audience of any kind.

Actually, this might have started with 'Honeymoon,' which she said she more-or-less created to please herself, and then taken a reversal with the more-fan-and-radio friendly LFL.  

But then she went full-tilt back into creating whatever she wants, free of any thoughts about her public, or a public, period. So we hear a lot more about walking to the mall, watching television, meeting for coffee, and doing the laundry--not exactly the stuff of of tense risk-taking, passion, and romance. 

Sometimes, as artists mature, they do leave the 'general public' behind--look at Joni Mitchell--she not only left the 'general public' behind after 'Court & Spark,' she left most of her diehard fans behind too, starting with 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns.'

In a Rolling Stone interview, she said, 'I'm going to be criticized regardless, and I'd rather be criticized for changing and doing what I want rather than for staying the same." 

16 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

I’m sorry you didn’t care to even try. But alas it’s not that deep. Go for a walk my love , listen to Paradise and experience the world she built with it :kiss3:

I love 'Paradise,' I think it's vastly overlooked in her catalog. 'Cola,' 'Ride,' 'Yayo,' 'Gods & Monsters,' and 'Belair' are moody Lana classics, and 'America' is so under-appreciated for being a pure, happy little song. 

2 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I love 'Paradise,' I think it's vastly overlooked in her catalog. 'Cola,' 'Ride,' 'Yayo,' 'Gods & Monsters,' and 'Belair' are moody Lana classics, and 'America' is so under-appreciated for being a pure, happy little song. 

I think, besides Honeymoon, it’s the strongest example of “vision” in Lana’s career.

11 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

I think, besides Honeymoon, it’s the strongest example of “vision” in Lana’s career.

I agree. It's not cluttered up or padded with several forgettable songs like 'BTD' is, and, to me, UV is just too broad, and unlike the Lana we knew earlier.

On UV, I think you can tell there was a lot of indecision and at least one major change of course, so that the album seems spotty (most artists produce albums like this at some point, where you can tell they aren't quite sure of what they wanted. Of course, with Lana, this also happened with LFL, and perhaps others). She should never have taken 'Black Beauty' off the regular album, despite the leak, and adding 'Is This Happiness' to the regular album would have helped, in my opinion. 'Old Money' is paddling around largely in a sea of anger, rage, and sociopathy like a fish out of water. 

22 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I think it's this: she used to be writing from her own experience but in a manner that was for a public, an audience, of some kind. In other words, she extrapolated her personal experience into something many or most could relate to, made it 'universal,' and that was part of her genius in that era. 

But since NFR! she's been 'inward gazing' a lot more and 'outward looking' a lot less. 

So I get the sense that she's now writing 100% what she wants to write, produce, and release, free of any feeling that she has to write for an audience of any kind.

Actually, this might have started with 'Honeymoon,' which she said she more-or-less created to please herself, and then taken a reversal with the more-fan-and-radio friendly LFL.  

But then she went full-tilt back into creating whatever she wants, free of any thoughts about her public, or a public, period. So we hear a lot more about walking to the mall, watching television, meeting for coffee, and doing the laundry--not exactly the stuff of of tense risk-taking, passion, and romance. 

Sometimes, as artists mature, they do leave the 'general public' behind--look at Joni Mitchell--she not only left the 'general public' behind after 'Court & Spark,' she left most of her diehard fans behind too, starting with 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns.'

In a Rolling Stone interview, she said, 'I'm going to be criticized regardless, and I'd rather be criticized for changing and doing what I want rather than for staying the same." 

agree with all of this, however, i dont think this makes the music better or more intelligent like lana thinks it does. i think it takes more skill and vision to build atmosphere, mystique, and an entire world. it takes a lot less effort to write “matter-of-factly” and straightforward. not to say lana has less talent now but i do think shes (dont kill me) being lazy and not reaching her full potential 

1 minute ago, Vertimus said:

I agree. It's not cluttered up or padded with several forgettable songs like 'BTD' is, and, to me, UV is just too broad, and unlike the Lana we knew earlier.

On UV, I think you can tell there was a lot of indecision and at least one major change of course, so that the album seems spotty (most artists produce albums like this at some point, where you can tell they aren't quite sure of what they wanted. of course, with Lana, this also happened with LFL, and perhaps others). She should never have taken 'Black Beauty' off the regular album, despite the leak, and adding 'Is This Happiness' to the regular album would have helped, in my opinion. 'Old Money' is paddling around largely in a sea of anger, rage, and sociopathy like a fish out of water. 

I just think… like we were all mostly 11 or 12 when this stuff came out. I’m 21 now and I would NEVERRRRR have taken the time to do as much LEARNING about the world as I did with the influence of her music. I was reading Walt Whitman poems, watching old films, listening to the old music she was constantly swooning about, Looking into the lives of old stars long forgotten... and so much more! I still do!! She was teaching us. Now like, I feel like that sense of “spread the culture” has sort of fizzled out. I mean sure, we get a reference to an old song every few times nowadays. But nothing since Honeymoon has had me actively seeking more knowledge. More experience. I hope this makes sense and hasn’t become another “word salad” :O

1 minute ago, mlittle11 said:

agree with all of this, however, i dont think this makes the music better or more intelligent like lana thinks it does. i think it takes more skill and vision to build atmosphere, mystique, and an entire world. it takes a lot less effort to write “matter-of-factly” and straightforward. not to say lana has less talent now but i do think shes (dont kill me) being lazy and not reaching her full potential 

Incredible how Arcadia always sounds like a brand new song for me every time I listen to it.

Because I can't remember SHIT the moment that screeching mess ends. Bad lyrics. Bad vocals. Bad production. There's really NOTHING to save from that mess. Her worst single ever. Coachella-Woodstock In My Mind outsold.  I'm GLAD there's nothing as cheap sounding as Arcadia on Ocean Blvrd. 

I'm  excited to finally play everything from Norman - Ocean back-to-back tho. Chemtrails-BB-Ocean do sound like its own trilogy.

23 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

I just think… like we were all mostly 11 or 12 when this stuff came out. I’m 21 now and I would NEVERRRRR have taken the time to do as much LEARNING about the world as I did with the influence of her music. I was reading Walt Whitman poems, watching old films, listening to the old music she was constantly swooning about, Looking into the lives of old stars long forgotten... and so much more! I still do!! She was teaching us. Now like, I feel like that sense of “spread the culture” has sort of fizzled out. I mean sure, we get a reference to an old song every few times nowadays. But nothing since Honeymoon has had me actively seeking more knowledge. More experience. I hope this makes sense and hasn’t become another “word salad” :O

No 'word salad' found there for me. When I was your age, I was doing the same thing, as so many 'arty' kids and young people do in all generations post-1965, when the old WASP hierarchy and its culture collapsed, and American and British pop culture took over the world. 

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) keeps those 'old stars long forgotten' relevant and thankfully, promotes them to current generations. When I was growing up, people knew who Gregory Peck, Joan Crawford, and Humphrey Bogart were, at least by name...now many young people don't know who Sean Connery or Al Pacino are, unless Pacino via Scarface. But that's what life is for, learning and exploring, and today, younger generations have almost the whole of 20th century culture to mine as they see fit, available at their fingertips. 

The thing is Lana was bound to fizzle out for some of us- I’m sorry but it’s like saying Eminem's new material is miles better than the prior because it’s less world building and more general- just because the critics are more receptive means sh*t to me- I enjoy some of the new songs but you can’t expect us to like everything she puts out- it’s obvious what side of her discog will stand the test of time to me.

I know all of our takes are subjective though in actuality so let’s all try and get along eh? 
can someone describe what they hate about Arcadia’s vocals so much though- I genuinely don’t hear anything off key- the lyricism is off on one part with the car line but otherwise it’s fine.

I just don’t think she cares about clipping anymore tbh- I will say blue banisters as an album is the probably the worst case for this technically with wildflower being the worst case rendering it unlistenable 

it’s kind of meta though because clipping in high amounts like that can damage your speakers so really she’s saying fuck you to the consumers who purchase ha music :lmao:

3 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

I just don’t think she cares about clipping anymore tbh- I will say blue banisters as an album is the probably the worst case for this technically with wildflower being the worst case rendering it unlistenable 

what artist or engineer DOESNT CARE ABOUT CLIPPING :bebe: thats just so bad n unacceptable