Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

866 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

1 hour ago, Sportscruiser said:

Four days in and this is where I’m standing with my ranking of the songs (not in a particular order just yet):

10/10

Black Bathing Suit

Dealer

Sweet Carolina

Violets For Roses

Wildflower Wildfire

9.5/10

Blue Banisters

If You Lie Down With Me

Text Book

9/10

Nectar of The Gods

Thunder

8/10

Interlude - The Trio

Living Legend

7/10

Arcadia

Cherry Blossom

6.5/10

Beautiful (this one hasn’t properly hit yet)

Straight up masterpiece. I’m trying to write a proper, extended review of this album but the way it kept catapulting its way to the top with each listen… it might be a top 3 album alongside NFR and Honeymoon :true:

If you switch SC and IYLDWM we have the exact same ranking :brows:

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

If you switch SC and IYLDWM we have the exact same ranking :brows:

The Kate Bush vibes in SC are so strong :cryney2:

But I know IYLDWM will eventually become god tier to me.

And btw, fuck Fantano. I’m anxious for the Fern Stone reaction! She’s one of us :bebe:

IMG-7960.jpg

1 hour ago, Marius said:

guys she was always free falling :air: A SMASH HIT. :oprah:

if this goes over 1m daily streams this will end up being the signature song from the era, like how Doin Time was NFR’s . her management needs to get a video out for it ASAP . in fact 2 videos ! get her to do a cute lil homemade one quickly and then have a high budget one being worked on while the homemade does it’s thing

RVhKIwP.gif

God-tier

1. Dealer

2. Nectar of the Gods

3. Black Bathing Suit

Top-Tier

4. Wildflower Wildfire

5. If You Lie Down With Me 

Mid-Tier

6. Living Legend

7. Cherry Blossom

8. Violets for Roses

9. Thunder

10. Sweet Carolina

Bottom-Tier

11. Arcadia
12. Blue Banisters

13. Text Book

14. Beautiful

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

5 hours ago, Mer said:

I'm not trying to be rude or catty but what credentials does Ajayll have? Is she a musician, producer, singer? I watched her Blue Banisters reaction and she doesn't really talk about things from a technical POV, just kinda what she likes? Is that her "thing", just being an amateur listener? 

yeah 'cause that's literally what reaction channels are, normal people giving their fun reactions and opinions to certain things

2 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

How is Arcadia beating Beautiful in the poll

this is a disgrace

Beautiful is beautiful but it's also a pretty "vanilla" Lana song. Arcadia is much more cinematic and has a bit more "edge" to it.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

So, now that I've given this a proper listen, I'm sad to report it's one of my least fav LDR records. :( There are no great songs or bops (at least Chemtrails had White Dress and Honeymoon had High By the Beach), and this is sonically her least adventurous record to date.

Like, Ultraviolence was rock-ish, Norman was surf-ish, Born to Die was pop-ish, Honeymoon - jazzy, Lust for Life - hip-hop-ish, and will someone tell me what Blue Banisters was supposed to be? Piano-ish?

I feel like this album is directionless and encapsulates all of Lana's recent bad tendencies: from recording vocals in one take, to lazy and unadventurous production, to recycling her old songs. Frankly, I wish she'd just called a spade and spade and called it LDR: Unreleased, or LDR: B-sides.

The closest she got to having a direction with this record was the confessional poetry style ala Anne Sexton or Fank O'Hara that you find in Blue Banisters, Text Book, Wildfire, Black Bathing Suit, and Sweet Carolina.

But then the rest of the songs don't fit with that concept at all, especially Dealer or The Trio, or the super conventional verse-chorus Violets for Roses, Thunder or Beautiful. It's a mess. 

Track ranking:

8/10

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

7/10

Wildfire Wildfire

Blue Banisters

Beautiful

6/10

Text Book

Dealer

Arcadia

5/10

Violets for Roses

Sweet Carolina

4/10

Interlude/The Trio

Living Legend

3/10

Cherry Blossom (the new "production" ruined it)

2/10

Nectar of the Gods (ugh, her most boring track to date?)

Album rating:

6/10

Album ranking:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell! 10/10

2. Ultraviolence 8/10 (too frontloaded, needed more meat in the second half)

3. Born to Die 7.5/10 (disappointing album on the whole, but many of her best cuts ever are on it so it's undeniably inspired)

4. Lust for Life 7/.5/10 

5. Chemtrails Over the Country Club 7.10

6. Paradise 6.9/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

9. Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass 5/10

10. Lana Del Rey (never listen to this) 4/10

I really hope she takes a break and goes in a new direction next time. NO MORE PIANO BALLADS, PLEASE. I need the epicness of tracks like Ride, Young & Beautiful, West Coast, The Greatest, etc. 

6 minutes ago, barttttender said:

So, now that I've given this a proper listen, I'm sad to report it's one of my least fav LDR records. :( There are no great songs or bops (at least Chemtrails had White Dress and Honeymoon had High By the Beach), and this is sonically her least adventurous record to date.

Like, Ultraviolence was rock-ish, Norman was surf-ish, Born to Die was pop-ish, Honeymoon - jazzy, Lust for Life - hip-hop-ish, and will someone tell me what Blue Banisters was supposed to be? Piano-ish?

I feel like this album is directionless and encapsulates all of Lana's recent bad tendencies: from recording vocals in one take, to lazy and unadventurous production, to recycling her old songs. Frankly, I wish she'd just called a spade and spade and called it LDR: Unreleased, or LDR: B-sides.

The closest she got to having a direction with this record was the confessional poetry style ala Anne Sexton or Fank O'Hara that you find in Blue Banisters, Text Book, Wildfire, Black Bathing Suit, and Sweet Carolina.

But then the rest of the songs don't fit with that concept at all, especially Dealer or The Trio, or the super conventional verse-chorus Violets for Roses, Thunder or Beautiful. It's a mess. 

Track ranking:

8/10

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

7/10

Wildfire Wildfire

Blue Banisters

Beautiful

6/10

Text Book

Dealer

Arcadia

5/10

Violets for Roses

Sweet Carolina

4/10

Interlude/The Trio

Living Legend

3/10

2/10

Album rating:

6/10

Album ranking:

3. Born to Die 7.5/10 (bad album on the whole, but many of her best cuts ever are on it so it's undeniably inspired)

4. Lust for Life 7/.5/10 

6. Paradise 6.9/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

I really hope she takes a break and goes in a new direction next time. NO MORE PIANO BALLADS, PLEASE. I need the epicness of tracks like Ride, Young & Beautiful, West Coast, The Greatest, etc. 

this could've stayed in the drafts love :bebe:

faSE.gif

4 minutes ago, barttttender said:

------------------

Track ranking:

4/10

Living Legend

-----------------

2. Ultraviolence 8/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

This is some of the spookiest shite I have ever read. Happy halloween to all :oprah2:

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

8 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Track ranking:

8/10

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

7/10

Wildfire Wildfire

Blue Banisters

Beautiful

6/10

Text Book

Dealer

Arcadia

5/10

Violets for Roses

Sweet Carolina

4/10

Interlude/The Trio

Living Legend

3/10

2/10

Album rating:

6/10

Album ranking:

3. Born to Die 7.5/10 (disappointing album on the whole, but many of her best cuts ever are on it so it's undeniably inspired)

4. Lust for Life 7/.5/10 

6. Paradise 6.9/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

Imagine relegating this to piano-ballad when there’s BBS, Text Book, IYLDWM, Dealer, WW, NOTG… :eek2:

IMG-7960.jpg