Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

631 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

1 minute ago, Moon River said:

ūüėź I don't hate it but it's very run of the mill for Lana. To be fair, Beautiful is veering into that same territory but it's a far better song in my opinion.

No hard feelings, it’s just that I honestly love LMLYLAW and since everyone seems to hate her I feel like I have to protect her like a little child :poordat::toofloppy:

:flutter:

46 minutes ago, barttttender said:

So, now that I've given this a proper listen, I'm sad to report it's one of my least fav LDR records. :( There are no great songs or bops (at least Chemtrails had White Dress and Honeymoon had High By the Beach), and this is sonically her least adventurous record to date.

Like, Ultraviolence was rock-ish, Norman was surf-ish, Born to Die was pop-ish, Honeymoon - jazzy, Lust for Life - hip-hop-ish, and will someone tell me what Blue Banisters was supposed to be? Piano-ish?

I feel like this album is directionless and encapsulates all of Lana's recent bad tendencies: from recording vocals in one take, to lazy and unadventurous production, to recycling her old songs. Frankly, I wish she'd just called a spade and spade and called it LDR: Unreleased, or LDR: B-sides.

The closest she got to having a direction with this record was the confessional poetry style ala Anne Sexton or Fank O'Hara that you find in Blue Banisters, Text Book, Wildfire, Black Bathing Suit, and Sweet Carolina.

But then the rest of the songs don't fit with that concept at all, especially Dealer or The Trio, or the super conventional verse-chorus Violets for Roses, Thunder or Beautiful. It's a mess. 

Track ranking:

8/10

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

7/10

Wildfire Wildfire

Blue Banisters

Beautiful

6/10

Text Book

Dealer

Arcadia

5/10

Violets for Roses

Sweet Carolina

4/10

Interlude/The Trio

Living Legend

3/10

Cherry Blossom (the new "production" ruined it)

2/10

Nectar of the Gods (ugh, her most boring track to date?)

Album rating:

6/10

Album ranking:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell! 10/10

2. Ultraviolence 8/10 (too frontloaded, needed more meat in the second half)

3. Born to Die 7.5/10 (disappointing album on the whole, but many of her best cuts ever are on it so it's undeniably inspired)

4. Lust for Life 7/.5/10 

5. Chemtrails Over the Country Club 7.10

6. Paradise 6.9/10

7. Honeymoon 6.5/10

8. Blue Banisters 6/10

9. Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass 5/10

10. Lana Del Rey (never listen to this) 4/10

I really hope she takes a break and goes in a new direction next time. NO MORE PIANO BALLADS, PLEASE. I need the epicness of tracks like Ride, Young & Beautiful, West Coast, The Greatest, etc. 

I don’t agree with everything you’ve said but it’s refreshing to see a fearless review that isn’t a 9-10 calling it the greatest album of all time. I think it’s a fan bias to want to score your faves music so highly every single time. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

i think the truth is that lana doesn't need to make every single song on an album a bop. when we think about a lot of the things she's said about herself being vulnerable and being soft, i think we should remember that these things will also reflect sonically. it will always be a mix of experimental, intriguing compositions along with her classic soft ballads. This combination of sounds is the formula for Lana Del Rey, it's a part of her.

we can go on and on about how a piano ballad could be more and how it could sound better but that isn't the point of those songs. I think artistically there should be a balance, sort of like a cold beverage with your meal or a smoke break during a long shift, a palate cleanser if you will. 

faSE.gif

Likely scenarios if Dealer becomes a hit.

• Cedric Gervais will remix Dealer and he wins a Grammy instead of Lana.
  • Someone on YouTube will make a "Slowed and Reverb" version of it.¬†
  • TikTokers will make a Cupcakke remix. (The lyrics will be "I don't wanna cum" instead)¬†
  • Lana will ignore the song, not make it a single and never sing it live because she's quirky like that.

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

question for the culture: do u all really give half a shit about what youtube reviewers or critics say???  :oprah3:

I couldn't be bothered to look at someone else for their opinion on her music. I think it's much more interesting to come on here and read your reviews (as regular fans) than stuck up music critics or youtube reviewers who think NFR is her end all be all and nothing else she's made or will make is any good.

Truly ethereal, and it’s a huge pain in the ass

1 minute ago, CmonDownToFL said:

question for the culture: do u all really give half a shit about what youtube reviewers or critics say???  :oprah3:

I couldn't be bothered to look at someone else for their opinion on her music. I think it's much more interesting to come on here and read your reviews (as fans) than random ass people 

Agreed. The problem is that certain people rely on other people's opinions to make their own

29 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I don’t agree with everything you’ve said but it’s refreshing to see a fearless review that isn’t a 9-10 calling it the greatest album of all time. I think it’s a fan bias to want to score your faves music so highly every single time. 

Haha. Glad you agree the reviews are ott.

In my opinion, those who rate this album super high aren't really true fans. Because they would know that songs on this record are a far cry from tracks like Ride, Blue Jeans, West Coast, Young & Beautiful, Venice Bitch, White Dress etc. on almost every level.

A few years down the line, no one will remember any of the tracks off it, the public will have ignored it in its entirety, and it will end up amongst her lowest ranked on Spotify and other streaming platforms, right alongside Honeymoon and Chemtrails.

35 minutes ago, americangothic said:

Question for the culture: Is the album doing as bad as you're all saying, or is it a joke?

Lana is one of the most streamed female artists ever, up there with Taylor, Ariana, Rihanna, and with more streams per album than Miley, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Selena¬†and many other ‚Äúbig‚ÄĚ female artists

At 25k projected sales Blue banisters will have the lowest first week sales than the lowest selling albums from each of those artists, this is lower than Smile and Younger now which were also considered horrific commercial failures

All of Lana’s other albums have reached more than a billion streams and (depending on the news source), have had opening week sales of more than 100k including Chemtrails

This album sales are horrific, she’s sold more albums than Nicki Minaj, Lorde, Dua, Billie, and almost all the female artists that premiered in the 2010’s, (except adele) and still managed to have the lowest selling album of all of them

11 minutes ago, barttttender said:

In my opinion, those who rate this album super high aren't really true fans. Because they would know that songs on this record are a far cry from tracks like Ride, Blue Jeans, West Coast, Young & Beautiful, Venice Bitch, White Dress etc. on almost every level.

A few years down the line, no one will remember any of the tracks off it, the public will have ignored it in its entirety, and it will end up amongst her lowest ranked on Spotify and other streaming platforms, right alongside Honeymoon and Chemtrails.

it's not too late to delete this. :oprah2:

faSE.gif

13 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Sorry but this is such a bad take. There are tons of people here who are genuinely loving the album and are certainly super fans, or we wouldn't be spending so much of our time on LanaBoards. It's fine if the album didn't click for you, but don't act like you're enlightened because of it, and those of us who think the album is brilliant and beautiful are either faking it or don't know what we're talking about. I actually feel like a true super fan is more likely to pick up on a lot of the intricacies of the album and absolutely understand what Lana was doing here. It's a great record with a cohesive and complex story.

I’m starting to think her black bathing suit is just her mood. Her sadness is all that fits her and she wishes her man could see her for who she really is

“I guess I'm complicated, my life's sorta too
I wish you could see to my soul through this black bathing suit
You don't know me any better than they do, baby
'Cause I sing like an angel, my heart's like one too
The only thing that fits is this black bathing suit‚ÄĚ

http://DE3-CE966-8304-443-F-9507-31-FFDD4-A7900

The Holy Trinity

8 minutes ago, DCooper said:

Sorry but this is such a bad take. There are tons of people here who are genuinely loving the album and are certainly super fans, or we wouldn't be spending so much of our time on LanaBoards. It's fine if the album didn't click for you, but don't act like you're enlightened because of it, and those of us who think the album is brilliant and beautiful are either faking it or don't know what we're talking about. I actually feel like a true super fan is more likely to pick up on a lot of the intricacies of the album and absolutely understand what Lana was doing here. It's a great record with a cohesive and complex story.

All of the songs that he listed are some of the brilliant songs that got us into loving Lana in the first place, none of the songs on Blue Banisters are what make us fans of her, anyone who’s listening to Blue Banisters was already a fan previously which of course is only because its a couple days old but highly doubt any new listeners who will be listening to Lana for the first time with Blue Banisters will be revisiting her discography

the album is absolutely not cohesive, its a collection of songs and its very obvious with a couple of songs that they were recorded at very different times than the rest of the record

19 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

This album sales are horrific, she’s sold more albums than Nicki Minaj, Lorde, Dua, Billie, and almost all the female artists that premiered in the 2010’s, (except adele) and still managed to have the lowest selling album of all of them

I really don’t think it’s that bad. She doesn’t have vinyl which makes up the majority of her sales, and it’s her second album of the year.  She probably would have done closer 50k with vinyl which isn’t bad considering the fact that the GP doesn’t even know she has an album out. Also even Lorde who did a bunch of interviews, magazine covers, and hadn’t released an album in 4 years sold around 50k as well. Don’t think it’s fair to compare her numbers to people who have hit songs and a lot of promo. 

How are you going to write some essay about how "against the grain" you are by disliking a record, and then use that same mentality and logic that you claim to be so against with the "if XYZ likes or doesn't like XYX, they aren't real fans"

What is that old adage of "two wrongs don't make a right" again?

8lvz7w8.jpg