Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

649 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

9 minutes ago, TextBook said:
I’m starting to think her black bathing suit is just her mood. Her sadness is all that fits her and she wishes her man could see her for who she really is

“I guess I'm complicated, my life's sorta too
I wish you could see to my soul through this black bathing suit
You don't know me any better than they do, baby
'Cause I sing like an angel, my heart's like one too
The only thing that fits is this black bathing suit

i like this interpretation! i was thinking it symbolised others' projections onto her and their warped/romanticised view of her, including the idea of her being a "sad" and/or "bad" girl, etc.

f88f6aef26eb3af705588638a2dc9a54.jpg

Okay so if you don't stan Blue Banisters and someone else does it doesn't mean they're not fans / super fans / stans / whatever you wanna call it. EVERYONE has different taste and it really shows in places like LanaBoards (duh). Enjoy the fucking music guys, I think Lana is really doing something to give her fans constant releases with QUALITY (don't dare telling me otherwise, she really has standouts in the two albums from this year regardless you like them as whole projects or not), unlike... many other singers who have *smashes* or *bops* in the radio / playlists right now.

EDIT: True, it goes the other way around as well.

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me."

:lanahairflip2:

3 minutes ago, Nectar said:

I really don’t think it’s that bad. She doesn’t have vinyl which makes up the majority of her sales, and it’s her second album of the year.  She probably would have done closer 50k with vinyl which isn’t bad considering the fact that the GP doesn’t even know she has an album out. Also even Lorde who did a bunch of interviews, magazine covers, and hadn’t released an album in 4 years sold around 50k as well. Don’t think it’s fair to compare her numbers to people who have hit songs and a lot of promo. 

Thats why I compared to Lana’s own previous sales to her current sales for this record, she like never promotes her albums and they still managed to do well,

also even if you remove all the vinyl sales from all of her first week sales of all of her previous albums, including chemtrails, they have still all sold more than Blue Banisters 

1 minute ago, Glitter Boy said:

Okay so if you don't stan Blue Banisters and someone else does it doesn't mean they're not fans / super fans / stans / whatever you wanna call it. EVERYONE has different taste and it really shows in places like LanaBoards (duh). Enjoy the fucking music guys, I think Lana is really doing something to give her fans constant releases with QUALITY (don't dare telling me otherwise, she really has standouts in the two albums from this year regardless you like them as whole projects or not), unlike... many other singers who have *smashes* or *bops* in the radio / playlists right now.

Yeah, and it goes both ways too. Just because someone likes Blue Banisters and another poster doesn't, that doesn't make them not real fans and I wish we would all stop with this nonsense. 

8lvz7w8.jpg

Just now, Thunder said:

Yeah, and it goes both ways too. Just because someone likes Blue Banisters and another poster doesn't, that doesn't make them not real fans and I wish we would all stop with this nonsense. 

Exactly :defeated: PREACH! :oprah3:  :gclap: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me."

:lanahairflip2:

39 minutes ago, barttttender said:

In my opinion, those who rate this album super high aren't really true fans. Because they would know that songs on this record are a far cry from tracks like Ride, Blue Jeans, West Coast, Young & Beautiful, Venice Bitch, White Dress etc. on almost every level.

So we're not true fans for liking the album, but you were literally on here a few months ago going on and on about Lana's body in a negative manner and you are? This just in: people are allowed to like new things and still be a fan of the artist! I don't care whether or not you like the album, this is a weird mentality for anyone to have on any musician. I agree that most of those songs you mentioned are outstanding tracks, but that doesn't take away from there being tracks people like on Blue Banisters too and to claim that it does makes absolutely zero sense. 

This is just a general thing to everyone, myself included: your opinions do not equal facts, and you shouldn't present them as such. Okay, rant over :runs:

drop me off at the copacabana 

12 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

All of the songs that he listed are some of the brilliant songs that got us into loving Lana in the first place, none of the songs on Blue Banisters are what make us fans of her, anyone who’s listening to Blue Banisters was already a fan previously which of course is only because its a couple days old but highly doubt any new listeners who will be listening to Lana for the first time with Blue Banisters will be revisiting her discography

the album is absolutely not cohesive, its a collection of songs and its very obvious with a couple of songs that they were recorded at very different times than the rest of the record

First of all, don't speak for all of us. None of the songs listed are what even got me into lana, it was actually her very early unreleased music and some of her Lizzy Grant work. The music on Blue Banisters is what makes us her fans, because it's her music. You're allowed to have your opinion, but don't project that onto us and group us together. A lot of us really fucking love the album. Sonically, vocally, lyrically it is some of her best work ever.

What you're saying about her earlier music, i.e. Born To die or UV or HM and how it's "cohesive" or "not a collection of songs" is absolutely incorrect. There are songs on Born To Die and all of those albums that were never made for those albums, therefor making them a collection of songs. So whatever point you're trying to get at is inconsistent and contradictive. Leave us alone, let us enjoy the music. And if you don't like it, say so but don't put words in our mouths. 

faSE.gif

42 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Haha. Glad you agree the reviews are ott.

In my opinion, those who rate this album super high aren't really true fans. Because they would know that songs on this record are a far cry from tracks like Ride, Blue Jeans, West Coast, Young & Beautiful, Venice Bitch, White Dress etc. on almost every level.

A few years down the line, no one will remember any of the tracks off it, the public will have ignored it in its entirety, and it will end up amongst her lowest ranked on Spotify and other streaming platforms, right alongside Honeymoon and Chemtrails.

The fuck is this? Did this album hurt you? This isn't an opinion it's a generalization that you cannot prove or assume and is cynical as all hell. Sorry not sorry this album didn't deliver for you,  but speak for yourself cus this isn't even a hot take, it's just stupid.

1 hour ago, CmonDownToFL said:

question for the culture: do u all really give half a shit about what youtube reviewers or critics say???  :oprah3:

so funny to me, that whenever lana or any artist gets a negative review / is left without a grammy nomination / etc., some fans are in their feelings, calling the reviewers uncultured and tasteless, or are even attacking them. or rambling about how every award show or reviewer or magazine is biased and pointless and rigged and Lana is better off without them or whatever... but still there are stans talking about how she or her album needs a better score and needs to make it to top ten, and when there are better reviews, nominations, awards or commerical success, the people again, start to act like the validation matters :tsk:

for example: 

no Grammy nomination for Lana: fucking tasteless old cunts it's all about popularity and sales these days Grammys don't even matter anymore who cares Lana doesn't need them

a Grammy nomination for Lana: wow a nomination omg taste the Grammys acknowledged her she deserves the recognition she better win or else 

strong like a tree but the unlucky one 

17 minutes ago, Taylor Secman said:

All of the songs that he listed are some of the brilliant songs that got us into loving Lana in the first place, none of the songs on Blue Banisters are what make us fans of her, anyone who’s listening to Blue Banisters was already a fan previously which of course is only because its a couple days old but highly doubt any new listeners who will be listening to Lana for the first time with Blue Banisters will be revisiting her discography

the album is absolutely not cohesive, its a collection of songs and its very obvious with a couple of songs that they were recorded at very different times than the rest of the record

That's your opinion but I don't agree. If you don't want to take time with the album to understand the story she's telling that's your choice, but don't tell the rest of us that we're wrong for feeling how we feel. I repeat, this is a cohesive and complex album in my opinion, and your opinion doesn't change that. 

I also don't think Lana's making albums for new fans at this point. Lana is the kind of artist that just gets better and better as you listen to her entire output and analyze the development in her themes and sounds. She is very much a storyteller who builds upon all of her previous work, so who cares if Blue Banisters isn't going to make someone revisit her discography if they don't already listen to her, although I don't actually agree with you here as there are plenty of great songs on the album that will make people curious about the rest of her music.

I see the "real fan" dilemma muted from "I'm better cause I don't listen to unreleased" to "I'm better cause I dislike an entire album" :eartha2: 

Some of y'all are nuts, really.

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Also: is an album not just a literal collection of songs? :thumb3: What the hell else is it supposed to be? Like, yeah, albums can be cohesive, but at the end of the day it is quite literally a collection of songs 

drop me off at the copacabana 

Friendly reminder that it doesn’t matter what kind of music you want Lana to make because there is only one Lana Del Rey and she’s gonna do what she’s gonna do. It’s fine to hate the new album, but just remind yourself that Lana is only going to get older, softer, and more experimental from here on out.

If listening to only Born to Die and Ultraviolence is what’s going to make you happy, do that, but don’t demand that she write something different from what she’s going to write. Your demands will fall on deaf ears, and you’re setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment.

Is it the end of the world? You won't believe this but Sputnik just posted their 4/5 review for the album.

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/83975/Lana-Del-Rey-Blue-Banisters/

:pussypower:

EDIT: It's a user's review; apparently there won't be any staff coverage so they will get it featured as their review.