Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

i don't lana's screaming in dealer sound objectively bad, maybe it's not for everybody, but they don't sound bad, at least she was experimenting with her vocals, it's exciting, surprising, provoking, etc. if she sang with a quiet monotone voice she'd be criticized for that, sometimes you can't really "win" so you might as well do what you want to do :whatever2:

#lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!  #lana del rey from NFR!

1 minute ago, Thunder said:

Still trying to figure out what's so wrong with the vocals. I hear more of a mixing issue at times than a vocal issue. :whoopi:

In my opinion, they aren't really polished and I understand it's because Lana wanted this album to sound raw, pure and "desperately" fragile but like someone mentioned above, I'm also not a fan of it.

It sounds too messy and sometimes the vocals are way too loud (Arcadia, Black Bathing Suit, If You Lie Down with Me, Sweet Carolina) and it hurts my ears :creep:

Overall, I do love the album... But I do agree the execution failed and could have been done much better. 

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i don't lana's screaming in dealer sound objectively bad, maybe it's not for everybody, but they don't sound bad, at least she was experimenting with her vocals, it's exciting, surprising, provoking, etc. if she sang with a quiet monotone voice she'd be criticized for that, sometimes you can't really "win" so you might as well do what you want to do :whatever2:

and if winning requires a shiny, polished and perfect version of yourself (NFR, which I love) than I would say fuck it and start screaming my head off too

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

I want the next album to be completely unhinged. :sky: Give me an album full of wild vocals the normies can't take! :angie:

ldr9 will be her synthwave serene queen heavy metal mermaid motel mike dean MASTERPIECE & the critics WILL BE SHOOK! :cumming: :grinds: 

I just know Potato Fanta says mad shit about Lana like he's stuck in 2012 where it was the national sport for music writers to shit on Lana Del Rey.

On a more serious note, this guy just fundamentally does not understand Lana as an artist. He sorta became a fan of Lana overnight when she released 'NFR!' AKA her most digestible album (like most sycophant music writers have) and has been acting like it's the blueprint of her album ever since, but that's beside the point—this review was just seriously ridiculous. Mind you, this is the man that rated 'Born To Die' a 3/10 and 'Ultraviolence' a 2/10. :scoff:

He's literally only taken "seriously" because, for some obscure reason, he's like the only semi-famous music critic on YouTube?

Just now, plastiscguy said:

In my opinion, they aren't really polished and I understand it's because Lana wanted this album to sound raw, pure and "desperately" fragile but like someone mentioned above, I'm also not a fan of it.

It sounds too messy and sometimes the vocals are way too loud (Arcadia, Black Bathing Suit, If You Lie Down with Me, Sweet Carolina) and it hurts my ears :creep:

Overall, I do love the album... But I do agree the execution failed and could have been done much better. 

I hear the loud vocals on Arcadia, but not the others tbh. Beautiful I guess would be the second song I would describe as having vocals a little bit louder than normal

I have to turn Black Bathing Suit all the way up to hear her, and if you're talking about the screaming towards the end, I really enjoyed the decision to do that :oprah3:

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, plastiscguy said:

she said on live that she did everything in one take. that's nice, be as authentic as possible, but the moments in like bbs or Carolina or Arcadia are so obviously flat or sharp that it takes you out of the song. 

West-Coast-GIF-lana-del-rey-37051506-500

Just now, Thunder said:

I have to turn Black Bathing Suit all the way up to hear her, and if you're talking about the screaming towards the end, I really enjoyed the decision to do that :oprah3:

It was a cultural reset :ma:

7 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

Exactly! I may not be in love with every single Lana sound (like not even everyone likes BB, we are aaall different and it's fine :creep:), but I still always want her to do what she wants, 100%. And she might as well, since she can't please us all anyway lmao

10 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I just know Potato Fanta says mad shit about Lana like he's stuck in 2012 where it was the national sport for music writers to shit on Lana Del Rey.

On a more serious note, this guy just fundamentally does not understand Lana as an artist. He sorta became a fan of Lana overnight when she released 'NFR!' AKA her most digestible album (like most sycophant music writers have) and has been acting like it's the blueprint of her album ever since, but that's beside the point—this review was just seriously ridiculous. Mind you, this is the man that rated 'Born To Die' a 3/10 and 'Ultraviolence' a 2/10. :scoff:

i geniunely don't understand how anybody could rate ultraviolence 2/10 unless they had a personal issue with her :scoff: 

i can understand that ultraviolence isn't for everybody, it's definitely not your typical alternative/rock album, it's filled with emotion, catharsis, melodrama, & experimentation, but i feel like a 2/10 would be for a record which is straight-up uninspired or completely boring, or geniunely bad, such as poor production or if the singer couldn't sing, the production of ultraviolence is gritty & raw, and lana's vocals aren't classical "perfect" vocals, but it's obvious she made a geniune effort, it's a major progression from the baroque-pop sound of btd & paradise, she tried something totally different and i think it suited her very well, and honestly, you can't say this album is a 2/10 when it has WEST COAST, that just doesn't add up :agree: :scoff: 

Fantano acted like Lana killed someone's baby when he gave Ultraviolence a 2/10 :whoopi::scoff:

1 minute ago, daddyauerbach said:

she said on live that she did everything in one take. that's nice, be as authentic as possible, but the moments in like bbs or Carolina or Arcadia are so obviously flat or sharp that it takes you out of the song. 

Yeah... and it's not necessarily bad. I mean, most unreleased tracks are exactly that way. Raw, messy... It's part of the charm. 

But most casual fans aren't really used to any of this but to the perfect Lana Del Rey they remember from albums like Honeymoon or Norman. Even Ultraviolence was more polished and rich. 

Again, I don't hate her decision. It might take some time for me to get used to it, but I'm glad she's feeling more confident in her voice.

But... it wouldn't hurt if she let the production of the songs shine again, as well as her voice in future records, as I don't really like how simple some songs can be sometimes (especially if there are too many in a row) :oprah3:

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i geniunely don't understand how anybody could rate ultraviolence 2/0 unless they had a personal issue with her :scoff: 

He probably meant to say 20/10 :oprah3: I mean, an album with songs like Shades of Cool, West Coast, Pretty When You Cry, Old Money and Black Beauty?! Magnum Opus! :oprah3:

3 minutes ago, daddyauerbach said:

I don't even understand how he couldn't like one single track aside from the other woman. like not even ONE ? not even west coast ? girl come on now

it's a little ironic bc that's usually the track people DON'T LIKE from ultraviolence

(if we're excluding guns & roses, which i'll never get why people hate it :oopna:)

i just don’t think fantano as a fat and ugly straight man is really the demographic for lana.. he’s never gonna get that feeling of sexyness and the vibe in general while listening to her music JUST GIVE UP