Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

629 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

6 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

So well-said! Beautiful words as always. Nectar of the Gods even reflects on that tug-of-war within herself that seems to have been won in WW (choosing to be a “wildflower” over a “wildfire,” or a conscious detachment from the qualities embodied by her mother), but she later realizes is somewhat visceral upon indulgence in all things, including inspiration that this record carries (“I get wild and fucking crazy like the colour blue” “once I found my way, but now I am lost”). It’s poignant that it comes after the climax and sudden epiphany of WW that marks a shift in the record’s narrative (and her life, in that way). 

Every track on the entire record serves such an important purpose. She really is the greatest. :xcry:

You floored me with that one. You have such an eloquent and intelligent way to see the world and it shows :cryney2:

LOVE-STREAMS.png

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:

You floored me with that one. You have such an eloquent and intelligent way to see the world and it shows :cryney2:

Awwww! So do you, my friend! :wub:  I’ve been loving all of your posts in this thread, they are such a breath of fresh air and your presence is full of light. Thank you and right back at you :kiss::spin::thankyou:

Okay, so here are my thoughts on Black Bathing Suit and a bit on Wildflower Wildfire:

Black Bathing Suit is a journey through Lana's feelings during spring-summer 2020, and maybe even earlier in the year. It's clear that certain lyrics are in relation to things like the public response to QFTC, the absolutely vile comments people were making about Lana online, and what I think is the most interesting aspect of it all: the backlash Lana got on Mothers Day in 2020 for not posting about her mother, but rather making a post about why it can be a hard day for her and others (that whole situation pissed me off, but we don't have time to unpack all of that). I never knew if Lana had seen the hate from that post since she never addressed it, but it's clear to me through this album that she did. She literally says in the second verse of WW "You say there's gaps to fill in, so here, here's the deal..." and then the lyric about her mother. It was like her saying "you really want to know what I've been through? here you go". It's something that's so heartbreaking to listen to, but I think that for Lana, it felt important to say. 

So more on BBS. Another lyric I want to highlight is the "your interest really made stacks out of it for me, so thanks for that", which I think is kind of sarcastic. Obviously NFR did fantastic in terms of sales and reception, so she's saying that the public's interest in the album really "made stacks" out of that album, but then we get the flippant "thanks for that" that we also get in Arcadia. It's not a genuine thank you. It's Lana being frustrated that despite people loving that album, they went right back to hating her just months after (I'm not getting into QFTC right now, I'm more so talking about the body shaming and general bullying that went on). And I think that the "you don't know me any better than they do" lyric is super interesting as well. There were a lot of assumptions being made about Lana around that time, so it's her saying "you don't know me any better than the rest of the public does, so don't act like you do". The whole song exudes this perfect mix of anger, vulnerability, confidence and a hint of sarcasm. She gives you that not only through her lyrics, but through her production and vocal delivery on the song. It's so smart and so creative. 

drop me off at the copacabana 

Listening to the album straight through again, and she NAILED the tracklist this time. It really takes you on a journey, reading your comments is helping me make sense of it. 

Text Book is such a mysterious opener that morphs its complexity into something beautiful and emotional (even if still extremely layered). Blue Banister sends you down the rabbit hole, an almost stream-of-consciousness flood of emotion. Arcadia is almost a taunt, in my opinion, or a quiet defense. It's playful, sweet, and cleverly masking its underlying anger. The Trio makes you think "What the fuck?", but it totally makes sense when you consider the chaotic energy of Lana flipping the bird at us in the video as Arcadia ends. It's a warning to the listener of what's to come... Which comes in the form of Black Bathing Suit and onward.

The midsection is just pure catharsis - she wants to be loved even if it's all a lie, her pain is beautiful, everything you love she hates, she knows you won't give her one shirt off your back, but it's cool, because she also knows the real you -- what you're really like when the party ends.

... And on I could go. But ya know. It's a ride.

(I loved the posts analyzing the run from tracks 11-15. Wildflower Wildfire about who she aims to be as a lover to avoid being like her mother, Nectar of the Gods being a battle of the self, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom, and Sweet Carolina covering various forms of motherhood - adopted, self-soothing/parenting, her sister/post-partum depression... :wowcry:)

It's layers to this shit... :oprah: :angie:

I think that is something that music industry did in recent years: everything is so polished, well placed, layer after layer and we dont apreciate enough organic works anymore...  so glad that Lana is here to mess the things a little 

Lust For Dead   large.gif

50 minutes ago, boom like that said:

mOF2553.jpg

From last week during my first BB listen Cjkzd9C.gif

Oh I love this so much!

.. I get wild on you baby. I get wild and fucking crazy like the color blue ..

8 hours ago, Urbanney said:

I don’t get all the love for Thunder. It’s not bad, but totally forgettable for me. I feel like 70% of the song is just “just do it, don’t wait.”

I love Thunder, but it's also a little forgettable for me on this particular album. I think it would stand out on a lot of other artist's albums though. I also feel like the repetitiveness is intentional, like you're trying to convince yourself to do something. I like the repetition a lot for that reason. 

.. I get wild on you baby. I get wild and fucking crazy like the color blue ..

27 minutes ago, lustforlife said:

That album is so unfinished rough and deep... It reminds alot Joplim, Patti, Joan Jett, all those girls who doesnt give a fuck about reputation. Here for it 

Tbh Fantano was right when he said the album sounds like a first draft. But unlike him that's what i LOVE about it! She's so sick I adore her

ALSO he said a lot of it sounds like she did it in one take when on her life she said she did everything in one take. lol. like he's criticizing her when that's literally her exact artistic choice. dummy

69e472d4c535ecd7e87ce6b312ca32e3.gif

z61a7f42f5565a.gif

3 hours ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

LOL idk what I expected, but not that. ily

1 hour ago, boom like that said:

mOF2553.jpg

From last week during my first BB listen Cjkzd9C.gif

Sooo beautiful! What a serene setting. I wish I was a calm enough person for stuff like this :flutter:

shards.gif

I’ve always loved Wildflower, Wildfire but damn it’s hitting me like never before tonight. :poordat: I relate to this one so damn much. Lana is a fucking genius and I’m so thankful for her. 

Does anybody have a list of the dates that she first posted snippets of lyrics, etc on Instagram, when that was still a thing? I remember meaning take notes at the time, but never did, until it was too late.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

1 hour ago, Poor Stacy said:

Listening to the album straight through again, and she NAILED the tracklist this time. It really takes you on a journey, reading your comments is helping me make sense of it. 

Text Book is such a mysterious opener that morphs its complexity into something beautiful and emotional (even if still extremely layered). Blue Banister sends you down the rabbit hole, an almost stream-of-consciousness flood of emotion. Arcadia is almost a taunt, in my opinion, or a quiet defense. It's playful, sweet, and cleverly masking its underlying anger. The Trio makes you think "What the fuck?", but it totally makes sense when you consider the chaotic energy of Lana flipping the bird at us in the video as Arcadia ends. It's a warning to the listener of what's to come... Which comes in the form of Black Bathing Suit and onward.

The midsection is just pure catharsis - she wants to be loved even if it's all a lie, her pain is beautiful, everything you love she hates, she knows you won't give her one shirt off your back, but it's cool, because she also knows the real you -- what you're really like when the party ends.

... And on I could go. But ya know. It's a ride.

(I loved the posts analyzing the run from tracks 11-15. Wildflower Wildfire about who she aims to be as a lover to avoid being like her mother, Nectar of the Gods being a battle of the self, Living Legend, Cherry Blossom, and Sweet Carolina covering various forms of motherhood - adopted, self-soothing/parenting, her sister/post-partum depression... :wowcry:)

It's layers to this shit... :oprah: :angie:

Omg, I love how spot on this is :wowcry:!! Especially what you said about Arcadia and The Trio. It's meant to be random and surprising on purpose - just like the hate she received during that time. Since she truly had to malintent with the events that occurred, the lashback was unexpected at best. It possibly represents that period of transition for her. Then BBS going further into the topic. She's brilliant!

I definitely think Sweet Carolina is actually a song that Lana and Rob dedicated to Chuck now that she is a mother. I remember her on Instagram saying the song made her cry, and post-partum depression is very common. I think Lana also chose this as the last song because it concludes where she's at now and where her journey is heading. Since she's no longer with Sean, she's no longer moving far away with him and will stay close to her family, hence the line "Don't have to write me a letter". And it seems she's found love in other forms - through family (now with baby Phoenix :wub:) and fulfilling friendships, so that is now her focus as well :oprah: 

Spoiler

Kevin could also be one of Chuck's exes we don't know about :dua:

2 hours ago, IanadeIrey said:

…that this record carries (“I get wild and fucking crazy like the colour blue” “once I found my way, but now I am lost”). It’s poignant that it comes after the climax and sudden epiphany of WW that marks a shift in the record’s narrative (and her life, in that way). 

I love this interpretation so much!! Coming through with the analysis as always!

And, I think: I am but one more drop in the great sea of matter, defined, with the ability to realize my existence.” -Sylvia Plath

R1EEND6.jpg

If this post is remotely related to Lana, I’m VERY intrigued to see how Lana will segue Blue Banisters into a Mike Dean x Emile Haynie collab!

I think Wildflower Wildfire would have likely sounded different had it not been on BB, but can you imagine Lana shifting this era into a cross between these two songs? ICONIC

And, I think: I am but one more drop in the great sea of matter, defined, with the ability to realize my existence.” -Sylvia Plath