Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

865 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

7 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

I really like a lot of the songs but as a whole the album isn’t really clicking for me yet. I think it’s because the content is very contradictory in some parts, which is prob bc some songs are so much older than others. 

Like we have a song like Blue Banisters about her finding solace and independence among her friends and family, and being okay without a man. 

then a couple tracks later we have nectar of the gods which is literally about her self-destructing over a man and losing her way. Literally I’m doing drugs and wanting to die because this man doesn’t love me the way I want him to. 

Are both songs great? Yes! Do they need to be on the same album? Maybe not. 

I’m all for complexity and working out mixed feelings in the course of an album, ofc, but this kind of thing is a little jarring to me. 

It feels like some of these songs were made by completely different people. In past albums, she explored lots of facets of relationships and herself and her life, but there was always a very consistent thru-line. A central character or point or storyline. Here it’s just like a collage of random shit lol 

2013 and 2021 Lana Del Rey have virtually nothing in common at this point so I just think it’s a little strange they’re on the same album. 

Lana told in one of instagram captions that the album explains what it was like, what happened and what’s it like now. So I understand the placement of those tracks but I agree with you in a way that track placements could have been better. 

My concern is her older tracks has simpler song writing compared to her newer songs with heavier and deeper songwriting. So it made older songs out of place in that sense.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

12 minutes ago, Dealer Boulevard said:

I have to confess that Beautiful has become one of my faves now. I love the message a lot & it's such a beautiful song:flutter: the piano in it is so beautiful & interesting,  I'm kinda obsessed with the piano in this song :wub:

OMG TRUEEEE :defeated: the piano in that is something I've never heard before. It feels like it's falling apart but somehow finds its way back to come alive with the melody. I fucking love iiiiiiitt :excited: at the beginning it sounds like a child playing it

tumblr_pdttwcdZss1v75vie_500.png

Just now, cherrysadwine said:

OMG TRUEEEE :defeated: the piano in that is something I've never heard before. It feels like it's falling apart all but somehow finds its way back to come alive with the melody. I fucking love iiiiiiitt :excited: at the beginning it sounds like a child playing it

I love your description :wub: it's on point!! Also the piano, especially in the beginning, sound like raindrops to me :oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

I think she wanted to be loved for who she is, not what was defined of her, and in that process, she explored more of herself and realized that that's what's more important to have. how with things can be stripped away, she knows that her soul will always be happier and shine through. it can be difficult to sort of define yourself as a person alone, especially when ur used to being defined as someone's other instead of just yourself. 

I think the album definitely does a great job of assessing those deficiences/missing things and in the end she still chose to be able to love, even if her loyalty wasn't returned and she herself wasn't appreciated. 

UV/Honeymoon

was listening to this album with the cloudy weather, fall-time. tears. the arcadia vids and the title track's really fleshed out another dimension of bb the song and album. i hope we get more performance vids, and maybe contro-opinion but i'd really love more homemade vids. even if it was later, a trailer too. it just crowns an album imo 

UV/Honeymoon

9 minutes ago, Pineapple B00ST said:

I think she wanted to be loved for who she is, not what was defined of her, and in that process, she explored more of herself and realized that that's what's more important to have. how with things can be stripped away, she knows that her soul will always be happier and shine through. it can be difficult to sort of define yourself as a person alone, especially when ur used to being defined as someone's other instead of just yourself. 

I think the album definitely does a great job of assessing those deficiences/missing things and in the end she still chose to be able to love, even if her loyalty wasn't returned and she herself wasn't appreciated. 

I love these thoughts. I almost think of her whole relationship with the media/pappz/critics as one giant bullying operation. And if any of you can relate to that (I know I certainly can) bullying, especially one that is so consistently thrown at you, it really starts to dominate your whole being. You start thinking that “maybe they are right” and before you know it your world succumbs to those attacks. I’m not sure if Lana’s world ever reached that low point - I can only imagine it has because she’s human. But what we’re witnessing with the release of Blue Banisters is that she always bounces back. It signals to me that she has this artistic confidence in putting out record after record, but what we’re seeing is really only scratching the surface. At face value we know she went through shit, and she came back. But we’ll never fully understand how bad things got for her which is why, in a way, I want to throw out a plea to her haters to give her the benefit of the doubt. She has so much good in her…she has so much to offer and so much to say, and of course she’s making reparations as she can too. She’s learning and growing just as we all are every day, and if BB is truly a sign of where she’s headed it’s going to be a beautiful ride :teehee:

On 10/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, Thunder said:

I was just about to say this. When I heard Lust for Life, I knew that it was never going to be a favorite because of some of the messy (imo) songs in the first half. I know when I know!

TAKE THAT BACK.

Are you really shitting on 13 beaches and Cherry? Not to mention A$AP collabs AND WHITE MUSTANG?

met my boyfriend down at the taco truck

56 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

I really like a lot of the songs but as a whole the album isn’t really clicking for me yet. I think it’s because the content is very contradictory in some parts, which is prob bc some songs are so much older than others. 

Like we have a song like Blue Banisters about her finding solace and independence among her friends and family, and being okay without a man. 

then a couple tracks later we have nectar of the gods which is literally about her self-destructing over a man and losing her way. Literally I’m doing drugs and wanting to die because this man doesn’t love me the way I want him to. 

Are both songs great? Yes! Do they need to be on the same album? Maybe not. 

I’m all for complexity and working out mixed feelings in the course of an album, ofc, but this kind of thing is a little jarring to me. 

It feels like some of these songs were made by completely different people. In past albums, she explored lots of facets of relationships and herself and her life, but there was always a very consistent thru-line. A central character or point or storyline. Here it’s just like a collage of random shit lol 

2013 and 2021 Lana Del Rey have virtually nothing in common at this point so I just think it’s a little strange they’re on the same album. 

For me, nectar of the gods represents a moment of quiet upset after the self-reassured/confident tracks in the first half of the album, which is then met afterwards by the comforting energies of LL, CB and SC. Like it’s her telling herself everything will be ok :) 

That’s how it all makes sense for me anyway!

14 minutes ago, Stargirls Dealer said:

I love these thoughts. I almost think of her whole relationship with the media/pappz/critics as one giant bullying operation. And if any of you can relate to that (I know I certainly can) bullying, especially one that is so consistently thrown at you, it really starts to dominate your whole being. You start thinking that “maybe they are right” and before you know it your world succumbs to those attacks. I’m not sure if Lana’s world ever reached that low point - I can only imagine it has because she’s human. But what we’re witnessing with the release of Blue Banisters is that she always bounces back. It signals to me that she has this artistic confidence in putting out record after record, but what we’re seeing is really only scratching the surface. At face value we know she went through shit, and she came back. But we’ll never fully understand how bad things got for her which is why, in a way, I want to throw out a plea to her haters to give her the benefit of the doubt. She has so much good in her…she has so much to offer and so much to say, and of course she’s making reparations as she can too. She’s learning and growing just as we all are every day, and if BB is truly a sign of where she’s headed it’s going to be a beautiful ride :teehee:

i think it's really about being able to control bc people don't like what they can't readily understand/ haven't seen before. n the collective sorta just defeats itself cus the world is pretty messed up, so good things are kinda well put down. hope is dangerous and tiring thing. it's a whole journey of lots of flashes and can get really confusing and easy to get lost in, and at the scale that she's had to overcome, it's not an easy feat, but she has or at least is. i think bottomline, it really is important for a person to be able to be self-aware and know themselves to change to be better before wanting to change the entire world first. another reason why i like her as an artist is that she respects the concepts and importance of emotion. 

sometimes losing a good thing is the only way of knowing what was once had, it brings a lot more clarity. i do think from a subconscious level that the album's real great for society yeah, at social commentary for putting your best foot and face forward. i think it's beyond ego too, it's, filling an actual need, essential. n yeah I defo agree, I see a lot more serenity if anything and if so, i'm real extra happy for her 

UV/Honeymoon