Solar Fields

Joanna Newsom

I didn’t see a thread for God here, forgive me and delete this post if there is one!

Joanna Caroline Newsom (born January 18, 1982) is an American multi-instrumentalist, singer-songwriter, and actress. Born and raised in Northern California, Newsom was classically trained on the harp in her youth, and began her musical career as a keyboardist in the San Francisco–based indie band the Pleased (Wikipedia).

Studio Albums:

• The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004)

• Ys (2006)

• Have One on Me (2010)
• Divers (2015)

I'm a huuuge Joanna stan tbh :flutter:

Technically not her song but recently been loving her feature in this live performance with Golden Shoulders

Also really obsessed with this rough concept demo of Only Skin

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

4 hours ago, the ocean said:

can someone recommend a way to get into her :lolliney:

i love my queens björk, tori & kate so naturally i'll probably like her but i don't really know where to start

I think Have One On Me is the most accessible in terms of the style of music, but it’s also her longest release being a triple LP. If that feels overwhelming for you maybe think of it as 3 smaller releases and try each disc separately? Her most accessible song in my opinion is Good Intentions Paving Company. 

4 hours ago, the ocean said:

can someone recommend a way to get into her :lolliney:

i love my queens björk, tori & kate so naturally i'll probably like her but i don't really know where to start

i'd recommend her most recent, actually (divers)...have one on me might be my favorite but i think divers is in some ways more accessible. Ys is a fan favorite and if lush orchestration and long ass songs are are your thing delivers in spades. if you love tori bjork and kate then YES joanna is just waiting for you to fall in love!

aOaIzH2.gif

9 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

i'd recommend her most recent, actually (divers)...have one on me might be my favorite but i think divers is in some ways more accessible. Ys is a fan favorite and if lush orchestration and long ass songs are are your thing delivers in spades. if you love tori bjork and kate then YES joanna is just waiting for you to fall in love!

I love Divers too but I feel like you get more out of it when you listen to in the context of her earlier releases?

8 minutes ago, YUNGATA said:

I love Divers too but I feel like you get more out of it when you listen to in the context of her earlier releases?

ugh yes absolutely true, so hard to try and rec somewhere to start w JN bc EVERYTHING is just so excellent. partly i guess i feel like divers ties together so much of what came before (particularly Ys sound + HOOM sound) which is a good intro but also yes, the album would sound diff if you came to it knowing her previous projects. don't think we're getting new joanna record this year BUT a girl can dream for 2023?

aOaIzH2.gif

30 minutes ago, YUNGATA said:

I think Have One On Me is the most accessible in terms of the style of music, but it’s also her longest release being a triple LP. If that feels overwhelming for you maybe think of it as 3 smaller releases and try each disc separately? Her most accessible song in my opinion is Good Intentions Paving Company. 

21 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

11 minutes ago, YUNGATA said:

1 minute ago, rightofjupiter said:

ugh yes absolutely true, so hard to try and rec somewhere to start w JN bc EVERYTHING is just so excellent. partly i guess i feel like divers ties together so much of what came before (particularly Ys sound + HOOM sound) which is a good intro but also yes, the album would sound diff if you came to it knowing her previous projects. don't think we're getting new joanna record this year BUT a girl can dream for 2023?

i'll probably start with have one on me and then go in release order?

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

2 hours ago, rightofjupiter said:

Haha I’m not even hoping for 2023 at this point. Honestly though she could take another 10 years and I would be okay if it meant we get a beautiful album filled with reflections on motherhood :flutter:

but yeah there are zero bad Joanna releases, I find my favourites oscillate depending on my mood tbh.

2 hours ago, the ocean said:

i'll probably start with have one on me and then go in release order?

please come back with your thoughts I love hearing people’s first impressions of Joanna!