DeadSeaOfMercury

Depeche Mode

1 hour ago, The Ocean said:

i would just like to say that i am probably the sole exciter fan. that album is not as bad as many fans claim it is and i’m very proud of them for trying a new sound.

Exciter is amazing, To me - Some Great Reward through Exciter is like one of the greatest album runs in history. Plus the album’s visuals / cover art are the definition of cool.

IMG-3521.jpg

13 minutes ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

Exciter is amazing, To me - Some Great Reward through Exciter is like one of the greatest album runs in history. Plus the album’s visuals / cover art are the definition of cool.

i’m not exactly a fan of sofad but it’s also a situation where i acknowledge that it’s a good album that i just can’t get into but everything else in that era is honestly flawless with the exception of maybe the some great reward b-sides and it’s called a heart

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

38 minutes ago, The Ocean said:

i’m not exactly a fan of sofad but it’s also a situation where i acknowledge that it’s a good album that i just can’t get into but everything else in that era is honestly flawless with the exception of maybe the some great reward b-sides and it’s called a heart

To me SOFAD is a masterpiece right up there with violator, the story / location of recording the album, Dave almost dying, the songwriting & production, THE TOUR. Only downside to that era was Alan leaving, The SOFAD singles box set is also cool!

IMG-3521.jpg

2 minutes ago, DeadSeaOfMercury said:

To me SOFAD is a masterpiece right up there with violator, the story / location of recording the album, Dave almost dying, the songwriting & production, THE TOUR. Only downside to that era was Alan leaving, The SOFAD singles box set is also cool!

Yeah I mean I can completely acknowledge it's a masterpiece, just not a masterpiece I can necessarily get into. However THE TOUR alone is probably their best (wasn't Dave almost dying more the interim period or was there another instance too)

9 minutes ago, The Ocean said:

Yeah I mean I can completely acknowledge it's a masterpiece, just not a masterpiece I can necessarily get into. However THE TOUR alone is probably their best (wasn't Dave almost dying more the interim period or was there another instance too)

I admit I had to google interim, But I think it was just that one instance.

IMG-3521.jpg

!!! So glad there's a thread for this truly legendary band. One of my favorites of all time. They're the only artists from my concert bucket list I haven't seen live (yet!)

If DM and Lana ever collabed... :lange: It's truly not totally farfetched of an idea, either; remember when Lana went to a "Depeche fucking Mode" show? And Dave has said he enjoyed either Honeymoon or Ultraviolence, depending on which album he was referring to in this interview.

A few of my personal favorites:

giphy-1.gif 

basically my official take:

album ranking:

music for the masses > violator = ultra >>> black celebration > some great reward = exciter >>> sofad = sotu
>> [WALL] >> playing the angel > spirit > delta machine
>> [V E R Y   T H I C K   W A L L] >> a broken frame >> [WALL] >> speak and spell

newcomers:

the singles 86>98 is the way to go honestly (if you prefer disc 1 start with mftm & violator, if you prefer disc 2 start with sofad and then just go from there tbh)