the ocean

Hikaru Utada

I couldn't find a thread for this legend aside from the J-pop thread but they deserve their own thread, so please discuss the magnificent music of Hikaru Utada here.

Selected videos:

Spoiler

and of course the kingdom hearts trilogy

Spoiler

cough cough @EXODUS

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

4 hours ago, SoftwareUpgrade said:

Omg, I've loved her work she's done for the Kingdom Hearts soundtracks :flutter:, Sanctuary is a CLASSIC :true:....in my head.

I agree the Kingdom Hearts trilogy of songs are great. (They're even better in Japanese.) Also they recently came out as nonbinary so please use they/them pronouns thanks

Edited by The Ocean
she/they pronouns

4 hours ago, The Ocean said:

I agree the Kingdom Hearts trilogy of songs are great. (They're even better in Japanese.) Also they recently came out as nonbinary so please use they/them pronouns thanks

Utada's pronouns are She and They, so any of them is OK to use with Hikki. 

Screenshot-20211225-204101.jpg

As you can see, her pronouns are on her instagram. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

Just now, The Ocean said:

:bebe:

this is great to know thank you 

You're welcome, it's ok that many people get confused with this whole non binary thing, at the end it is just a matter of respect. 

If a non binary person feels more comfortable with only the "they" pronoun, then it's important we respect that. But this is not the same situation for everyone and sadly we tend to think (wrongly) that every non binary person prefers only "they" when they actually feel very comfortable with the same pronoun they have used for themselves their whole life (she or he). 

Anyway, Miss Utada is a fucking living legend and she is preparing a new masterpiece, I'm more than excited for it. 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

2 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

You're welcome, it's ok that many people get confused with this whole non binary thing, at the end it is just a matter of respect.

If a non binary person feels more comfortable with only the "they" pronoun, then it's important we respect that. But this is not the same situation for everyone and sadly we tend to think (wrongly) that every non binary person prefers only "they" when they actually feel very comfortable with the same pronoun they have used for themselves their whole life (she or he).

Yeah, I used an outdated source when checking for the correct pronouns and never thought to actually check hikki directly :toofloppy:

2 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

Anyway, Miss Utada is a fucking living legend and she is preparing a new masterpiece, I'm more than excited for it. 

pink blood + time are masterpieces and the new album is automatically excellent just because of those 2 alone

11 minutes ago, The Ocean said:

Yeah, I used an outdated source when checking for the correct pronouns and never thought to actually check hikki directly :toofloppy:

pink blood + time are masterpieces and the new album is automatically excellent just because of those 2 alone

Don't worry, she just updated her IG info yesterday 😂 but I always knew she was OK with "she" being her pronoun because she never mentioned she preferred "they". 

And yeah, all her singles this era have been great-flawless. I love how this new album sounds like a mix between Ultra Blue and EXODUS. 

this year i kinda got back into her music. she released one last kiss and i was like yup ok i need to keep an eye on you 

then she released pink blood for the anime to your eternity (which is great btw) and i was so surprised first watching the opening i was like wait wtf this is hikaru utada... shes doing an anime opening? fuck yes

and then a couple of weeks ago she released a new song; and theyve all been great. this year shes released some bangers

and ofc her kh songs are classics. the two she made for kh3 are amazing. she never misses

Simple and Clean and Passion are both legendary, and Don’t Think Twice is a cute girl. Ultra Blue and Deep River both have so many bops are my two favorite records of hers, but all of her records have keepers. Can’t wait for the new one in Spring!! 

also shoutout to final distance one of the prettiest songs everrrr

4 hours ago, Architecture1116 said:

I think i might be delusional but i want a Utada x Rina collab:rollin:

This is mega super very possible 

3 hours ago, The Siren said:

Utada Hikaru > Hikaru Utada :illumarina:

:true:

completely agree i just don't want people thinking that their first name is Utada

4 hours ago, Architecture1116 said:

I think i might be delusional but i want a Utada x Rina collab:rollin:

it's actually pretty possible considering that Rina is obviously a Utada stan and Utada has been to a few Rina shows and seems to enjoy her music

Check out all the singles from her upcoming album "Bad MODE" out in January 19th, 2022:

Time

Dare ni mo Iwanai

One Last Kiss

PINK BLOOD

Kimi ni Muchuu