drewby

Lana covering "Buddy's Rendezvous" on Father John Misty's new album - OUT: April 8th, 2022

20 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

She has made weird phrasing and pronunciation choices in the past, like the odd phrasing and emphasis of the word 'parents' in 'Coachella,' and the way she sings "people are powerful beins" in 'Change,' which ruins the song for me. And there's some on COCC too, the album, in NAWWAL, "it wasn't quite what I meaned, if you know what I mean." I'm confident there are other examples on other albums. 

It's true but I usually find them endearing and deliberate, like meaned in NAWWAL. But thew just throws me off LOL oh well I love the song so much and I'm used to it now.

21 minutes ago, jazzsingrcultleadr said:

Haven't listened to the actual album yet but to those who bought it, is the deluxe box set worth it? I really can't resist the idea of having Lana Del Rey AND David Lynch 7' singles

I really like FJM, so for me it was definitely worth it. In addition to the music itself, you get a lot in the boxset. He's known to go all out with Vinyl packaging, and this definitely has not disappointed. Instead of a traditional gatefold, the records are stored inside of an art book, and it's really good quality. 

Aside from what I just mentioned, if you have the money, I'd honestly still say it's worth it for the Lana single alone. The single is already going for more than the box set on resale sites, and the price will only increase with time if it's already at that point. 

On 1/4/2022 at 9:14 PM, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Apparently Buddy’s Rendezvous is also a pizza place in Detroit?? Probably unrelated but an interesting thought lol

I think this ended up being the right reference! There are two places referenced in the song - first is Canter's, which is an old classic deli in LA that is open 24 hrs.

It's the same coat I had on
The night that I went in
I can stay an hour at Canter's
The streets cool off by then

The narrator is sitting in a booth at the deli late night. Perhaps they just met their daughter there for the first time since getting out of prison, now nursing a cup of coffee all night to try to stay out of trouble.

And then the second is Buddy's Rendezvous. Not in LA, but evoking the same vibe as the deli - also a very old neighborhood restaurant. Again the narrator is killing time in a restaurant.

My destruction is an hour late
I'm at Buddy's Rendezvous
Tellin' the losers and old timers
How good I did with you

It's presented as more of a poetic connection between the two places, but you can imagine a more specific storyline wherein the narrator spends the night at Canter's right after getting released, and then many years later is bending the ears of the locals in an old pizza joint in Detroit about their estranged child.

:crai:

m52a0La.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 1:03 PM, shadesofloveduthenandnow said:

Ik I’ve already said it but I absolutely need to hear FJM and Lana do a proper duet on a future song. Manifesting LDR9 has a FJM collab :true: 

the way you manifested this on ocean blvd

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole