regattasinthewind

New Lana song 'Watercolor Eyes' to be featured in S2E3 of 'Euphoria' - January 23rd, 2022

9 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

I always feel bad when I see people aren’t liking the direction she’s going in. I respect all opinions and it sucks to be disappointed in your favorite artist’s releases, and I’ve tried to figure out why mid/post-NFR tracks sound so different from her older material. 

What I’ve decided is that, especially with the adoption of her spoken poetry, she said she likes almost freestyling and making very few edits to things—just letting them be what they are. I think she lived by this dogma in the beginning with AKA, where everything felt and sounded like it had spontaneous air in the mix. 

Once she was signed by a big label, naturally they try to boil it down to a concentrate—cut out any stray frequencies, smooth and condense her voice, have crisp instrumentals keen for radio and movie play, etc.

I had liked Lana’s music in the past, but I really became a stan with the release of Mariner’s and Venice Bitch, because, while I hadn’t heard much from UV or anything at the time, I felt I could hear her true artistry come through in those tracks, with their lo-fi, vocal-center approach. It captured the electricity of a live performance, of an artist creating and breathing in real-time that sounded so different from the slick, airtight productions on the radio.

I think she’s leaned even further into that after her work with Jack. We’ve heard her collaborators say that she’s done vocals in one take, or how she literally wrote and recorded White Dress on the spot while Jack played some chords. I think, above all lately, she values organicness—the feeling of catching lightning and bottling up that emotion right away, to present it as it was, and not revisit it. While I agree it has led to some more human “errors” (slightly wrong notes, lags in timing, fuzzy gear playback), I feel this is all so hyper-intentional in her art now, almost like a protest of the modern music industry.

I really appreciate that art and feel it is true to her acoustic, songwriting soul, but at the same time I see how far that is from the BTD sound, for example. I definitely feel empathy for the people who don’t love it as much and just wanted to type out my thoughts in case it resonated with anyone. Artists’ journeys have always been so interesting to me, and Lana’s is certainly one of the most uniquely interesting ones we’ve had to witness, as one of the first true viral stars to reigning indie/alt queen of the music counterculture.

actually im not hating on WCE, its quite cute & i still put it on replay quite frequently ever since its released. :heart:

Its just not Lana herself putting her usual sauce into this song. Thus its a brand new side we see from Lana - I think putting it down as "pre-Born to Die bubblegum pop era but it's 2022" would be the best desription for this song. And I'm all about artistic growth/change/revolution of a certain artist, especially Lana Del Rey since she is, not gonna lie - one of the most interesting pop acts of our time that we are privileged enough to witness.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Just now, Whore of Tropico said:

actually im not hating on the song, its quite cute. Its just not Lana herself putting her usual sauce into this song. Thus its a brand new side we see from Lana - I think putting it down as "pre-Born to Die bubblegum pop era but it's 2022" would be the best desription for "Watercolor eyes". 

I definitely don’t think you’re hating on it! I get what you were trying to say, it just made me try to think what that sauce is to people. To me, it felt like the song could have fit onto Chemtrails, but maybe not BB, idk! Hard to place.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, yourolllikethunder said:

I definitely don’t think you’re hating on it! I get what you were trying to say, it just made me try to think what that sauce is to people. To me, it felt like the song could have fit onto Chemtrails, but maybe not BB, idk! Hard to place.

yup, i agree.
As i said, the best way for me to describe WCE is sort of "pre-BTD era innocence/cuteness but its in 2022" mixed with Mazzy Star & 80s kind of love ballad that we heard from "If I Die Young (On&On leak)". So, it's a new vibe.

@WHORE OF TROPICO   ⇨   @SALVAWHORE             

Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFs                                   evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon — ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

2 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

her chickens followed her into the studio

the studio is actually in the chicken coop, Jack suggested moving the recording equipment in there so they get ambient chicken noises in the background of her songs to add authenticity :true:

UbsOye5.png

5 minutes ago, JessicaAppleBottomJeans said:

her chickens followed her into the studio

Just now, Sugar Venom said:

the studio is actually in the chicken coop, Jack suggested moving the recording equipment in there so they get ambient chicken noises in the background of her songs to add authenticity :true:

i think it's time we turn that chicken coop into a rotisserie svZWukD.gif

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

I'm sad I can't connect with the song. Do I think it's beautiful? Absolutely. Her vocals sound great, and the melody is catchy (although I wouldn't use that word, but can't think of another at the moment) but for me, it's just not appealing. And it intrigues me. 

Even if I disliked most of Chemtrails at first, some of the songs grew on me, and the ones that didn't, I still like them more than Watercolor Eyes. For some reason, I also like it when I watch the trailer, but when I hear the full thing I just can't connect with. Why is it? Could it be I'm forcing myself into liking it and that's why it doesn't click? :( 

Spoiler

Or maybe it's because I've had fever for 3 days straight and I'm just not myself. Maybe I'll like it better when I get better? :lange:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

the atmosphere's just perfect for it's lyrical themes and brings so much. it encapsulates the oscillation of bliss and drunkedness in how impactful relations can change in a blink or be fed to you over time. perfect for a show like euphoria and still stays true to her artistry i honestly think it's perfectly done. 

UV/Honeymoon

5 minutes ago, Sugar Venom said:

it's so sickening and twisted but also sad that those chickens didn't get the credit they deserve. BUS and Dealer all over again:trisha:

D.png

12 minutes ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I think it’s mainly the production for me, the chorus sounds like a karaoke backing track to me if that makes sense? Iike the ones on YouTube that are basically fanmade and not the real instrumental

YES. YES. YES.

small-sq-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence.gife4d193ad6825522455102e1518efe3d6835b52da

2 hours ago, Writer In The Dark said:

Do we really need Rick again? After LFL everyone was hoping she'll ditch him for good because of the cheap beats and voice filters
ItuKx0m.gif

i'm sure if rick came back people would hate on him too, they can never be fully pleased

4 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

i'm sure if rick came back people would hate on him too, they can never be fully pleased

Yeah I’m also starting see a trend of toxic stans hating her current/most recent producer, harassing them on social media, and acting surprised when they don’t work with Lana again 

sgopYhV.gif

This song is addicting af. The why you always doin' that part sends me to heaven. I can understand why some people may be underwhelmed but for me this is such a nice surprise. Something about the chord progression/tone of the song, SOMETHING, reminds me of Ultraviolence too.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.